Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That comment was from August of last year :mrgreen:. While you're here though, any thoughts on the current LX cars? The new Charger R/T is tempting, especially if it depreciates like hell before I buy one.

It is called Random Thoughts, not so? :mrgreen:

I drove a recent C230 Kompressor today. Ugh. :p

As for the LX - they seem solid enough, don't have many problems (at least down here). If you like the seats and can deal with the interior, they should be decent purchases... if you don't buy the 2.7L V6 one. :p

As for the LX - they seem solid enough, don't have many problems (at least down here). If you like the seats and can deal with the interior, they should be decent purchases... if you don't buy the 2.7L V6 one. :p

Hah, I rented a 2.7 Magnum once, even with 36 miles on the clock it was utterly pitiful. No, this one is a 2006 with a 5.7. Three-owner car in ~4 years is a bit worrying, plus I haven't Carfaxed it yet....but fucking hell the power is sweet. And just because the handling isn't telepathic (you get there eventually) and the brakes are mushy (new pads time) doesn't mean it's crap, it's just old-school American. Really tempting, in fact.

Hah, I rented a 2.7 Magnum once, even with 36 miles on the clock it was utterly pitiful. No, this one is a 2006 with a 5.7. Three-owner car in ~4 years is a bit worrying, plus I haven't Carfaxed it yet....but fucking hell the power is sweet. And just because the handling isn't telepathic (you get there eventually) and the brakes are mushy (new pads time) doesn't mean it's crap, it's just old-school American. Really tempting, in fact.

More importantly, you can fix most of the handling/braking "issues" the car has - either with Mopar upgrade pieces, stuff lifted from the E-class and its performance aftermarket, or the Charger aftermarket itself.

Not gonna lie, I think Jaguar wins the battle of who can camouflage their car the best.

Thought the Merc SLS was bad, wait till this:
2011_jaguar_xj_spy_shots_april_002-0428-950x650.jpg

2011_jaguar_xj_spy_shots_april_006-0428-950x650.jpg

Whats the point of the red wheel? Is that a horsepower +10 item?

Good thing is that such heavy camo probably means that the shape/design is more or less done.

why cant ford bring a falcon to america?

why cant nascar race on popular american road courses (road atlanta, sebring, road america)?

why is fiat bringing it's 500 abarth to america?

THESE ARE SERIOUS ISSUES

why cant ford bring a falcon to america?

why cant nascar race on popular american road courses (road atlanta, sebring, road america)?

why is fiat bringing it's 500 abarth to america?

THESE ARE SERIOUS ISSUES

IIRC, NASCRASH has raced at Sebring and Road America. They're pretty pathetic to watch there, half the drivers are replaced with subs from real racing series like SCCA, NASA or ALMS. Those that aren't still have to contend with the fact that they're running around in basically a 1970s tube frame solid axle car. The funny part is that actual production-based cars are faster around road courses than the all-up NASCRASH cars, especially that stupid Car Of Yesterday thing.

Why are they bringing the Abarth here? I didn't know that they were. If they do, it's so they can compete in the market here with things like the Civic Si and the Mopar SRT4s as well as the MazdaSpeed 3s, etc.

As for the Falcon... I think Ford's concentrating on the lower end of the market first and assuming that the upper end is something they will have to get to later. They're probably right, the number of people buying large cars new is decreasing while entry level car sales are up.

Not gonna lie, I think Jaguar wins the battle of who can camouflage their car the best.

Thought the Merc SLS was bad, wait till this:
2011_jaguar_xj_spy_shots_april_002-0428-950x650.jpg

2011_jaguar_xj_spy_shots_april_006-0428-950x650.jpg

The new GTR Vspec looks awesome.

The W204 feels really good. I'm treating it with kid gloves, and since it's not rainy here at all, it doesn't really get dirty, either.
It'll be interesting to see how far it can go without having to use the wipers or to get it washed.

^I always do this when colming back from the carwash, it's nice to see the car so clean, without a wipe on the windows even. Plus if you drive fastish (70 kph+) all the raindrops flow off the screen and you can drive in the rain without wiping!

Hmm...is 123,000 miles too much for a 1994 Miata?

11268265182.261270965.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

11263022716.261270965.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Definitely tempted...it would look killer with a set of black Panasports. :cool:

For $4,500 it had better be in pretty good condition. Also, see when the timing belt was changed last, I bet it's due and that's $750.

IIRC, NASCRASH has raced at Sebring and Road America. They're pretty pathetic to watch there, half the drivers are replaced with subs from real racing series like SCCA, NASA or ALMS. Those that aren't still have to contend with the fact that they're running around in basically a 1970s tube frame solid axle car. The funny part is that actual production-based cars are faster around road courses than the all-up NASCRASH cars, especially that stupid Car Of Yesterday thing.

kyle busch (not a normal road racer) won last year at watkins glen and infineon iirc...

Definitely tempted...it would look killer with a set of black Panasports. :cool:

not if it has an LS7 in it

Anything under 175k and you'll be fine... but for that amount of money it better be good. I bought my MX5 with 146,000m for ?1500 ($2300 at the time) before I restored it, so I would search for another deal. However, considering a Miata...:cool: Good on you, mate.

NASCAR has never sanctioned an event at Sebring, and the only race they ever ran at Road America was won by Tim Flock.

kyle busch (not a normal road racer) won last year at watkins glen and infineon iirc...

No road course ringer has ever won a Grand National/Cup Series race at Watkins Glen. In fact, I've only found record of about 15 NASCAR wins at road courses by ringers, and most of those were in the '60s.

Yeah, but Busch started out karting, so he probably has the skills nonetheless. There are other NASCRASH drivers with roadrace skill, but most of them suck at it. Notice how few of them do well over in ALMS (some of them have moonlighted over there).

The road race "ringers" as the NASCRASH boys call them have the handicap of having to deal with an unfamiliar stick axle car on the track. Usually, though, they turn in better times than the drivers they're standing in for, though they don't win.

Last edited: