Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

dpcars.net is selling his Hartley V8 powered atom for 125K. when you consider all the suspension work he has done beyond the fitting of the V8 it's actually a pretty good deal....

on a slightly related note Hartley is now offering a I4 motor based off of the busa motor but only with a billet crank case with adapters for a number of popular gearboxes. other options include conversions of 1.4L and 1.6L. depending on pricing (i am sure it will be pretty fucking spendy for a whole motor but they will offer a conversion kit) it open up alot of options for locost/sevenesque builder all over the world.

Last edited:
I was wondering the other day.. Fiat Uno - is it reliable? I mean, it's Italian and 15 or more years old, so it should rust like hell. But I still see lots of them on the roads, so I thought I'd ask the experts (aka Italians :p)

I don't think it's *reliable*, but it can be repaired on a shoestring budget. The 127 we had/have was just like that, and if it hadn't rusted unusable due to the Soviet steel/Italian build quality/Finnish road salt combination, it'd be a daily driver today.

I saw a new Camaro today. I always hear people talk about how much uglier the new Camaro's look in real life and how fat/bloated the rear end looks. I've never seen a new Camaro in the flesh, so I couldn't ever confirm or deny those opinions. But on my way out of the office today, a bright yellow Camaro SS sat in the parking lot. It's a beautiful looking car and the rear end does not, in any way, look bloated to me. There was a previous body style Mustang (2005-09) a few spaces down and the rear trunk height was at about the same level. There is no doubt the new Camaro is a larger car, but it didn't look at all bloated to me. It's just big, like the big 2+2 that it is. But the windows are low, giving it a low wide look that is very appealing. I wouldn't mind buying one, but so long as the Government/Unions owns GM, I don't think I'll be purchasing a GM product for a long ass time.

I saw a new Camaro today. I always hear people talk about how much uglier the new Camaro's look in real life and how fat/bloated the rear end looks. I've never seen a new Camaro in the flesh, so I couldn't ever confirm or deny those opinions. But on my way out of the office today, a bright yellow Camaro SS sat in the parking lot. It's a beautiful looking car and the rear end does not, in any way, look bloated to me. There was a previous body style Mustang (2005-09) a few spaces down and the rear trunk height was at about the same level. There is no doubt the new Camaro is a larger car, but it didn't look at all bloated to me. It's just big, like the big 2+2 that it is. But the windows are low, giving it a low wide look that is very appealing. I wouldn't mind buying one, but so long as the Government/Unions owns GM, I don't think I'll be purchasing a GM product for a long ass time.

it looks like a 4x4. i just think its ugly. proves that GM doesnt even try anymore.

it looks like a 4x4. i just think its ugly. proves that GM doesnt even try anymore.

I have a 4X4, a good old real 4X4, and it doesn't look like a new Camaro.

Out of the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro, the Camaro has the most original design. Ford and Dodge put a lot less effort into their retro pony car offerings.

Out of the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro, the Camaro has the most original design. Ford and Dodge put a lot less effort into their retro pony car offerings.

The Mustang looks better imo. The grill of the camaro is too pointy and narrow. It is definitely a picture car, not a real life one.

what i meant was that it sits, or apears to sit very high off the ground. as far as me saying GM isnt trying anymore, what i mean is that all thier cars look like cheap sheet metal and plastic. if we had to rank them in quality, they would be way below everyone else as far as the newer stuff. seems they have the same focus groups as the people at Geico who thing they have funny commercials.

speaking of commercials, have you seen the one that im sure they think is clever about the fuel milage compared to honda's that ends with howie long laughing about the fact that honda makes lawnmowers? pathetic.

The Mustang looks better imo. The grill of the camaro is too pointy and narrow. It is definitely a picture car, not a real life one.

I can see your point. The Mustang, as well as the Challenger, are great looking cars too. I just think the Camaro is also beautiful. After hearing so many people trash talk it's "real life" looks, I was expecting a lot worse then what I got.

speaking of commercials, have you seen the one that im sure they think is clever about the fuel milage compared to honda's that ends with howie long laughing about the fact that honda makes lawnmowers? pathetic.

Especially when you know that Honda also makes jet airplanes. Something GM could never do.

Especially when you know that Honda also makes jet airplanes. Something GM could never do.

its funny. if you look at the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen as he is comparing each one, youll see that the "better gas milage" is only ltteraly different by no more than 3 mpg in 1 case and only 1 mpg in the other 2. now, as far as im concerned, thats reaching. the last time i looked, handa may have failed at F1 but they did better than GM. so, thank you GM for showing us just how one sided and blind to your own ignorance you really are. now, can you please muve your "best in its class" cobalt so i can get by with my Ford Tractor/formula 1 car/racing boat/ ect... on my way to my Honda motorcycle/airplane/robot/ way to many to mention. thank you.

I just remembered my mom's Land Rover Disco II. it was a 1999, and for some reason, she left the "Automobile Truck of the Year" (or motor trend, dont rember) sticker on it for the life of the vehicle

its funny. if you look at the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen as he is comparing each one, youll see that the "better gas milage" is only ltteraly different by no more than 3 mpg in 1 case and only 1 mpg in the other 2. now, as far as im concerned, thats reaching. the last time i looked, handa may have failed at F1 but they did better than GM. so, thank you GM for showing us just how one sided and blind to your own ignorance you really are. now, can you please muve your "best in its class" cobalt so i can get by with my Ford Tractor/formula 1 car/racing boat/ ect... on my way to my Honda motorcycle/airplane/robot/ way to many to mention. thank you.

I think the point of that commercial was not to make Honda look bad, but to let people know that GM's products are also fuel efficient. Most people (who know jack about cars) think that only Japanese cars are reliable and fuel efficient. American and European cars are no where near as good as the Japanese, in most people's eyes. If GM wanted to promote their products fuel efficiency, comparing them to Honda is only logical, since Honda is the king of the hill. I thought the Honda lawnmower thing was kinda funny, like when my sister use to have a Daewoo microwave. It was a POS too. :lol:

I think the point of that commercial was not to make Honda look bad, but to let people know that GM's products are also fuel efficient. Most people (who know jack about cars) think that only Japanese cars are reliable and fuel efficient. American and European cars are no where near as good as the Japanese, in most people's eyes. If GM wanted to promote their products fuel efficiency, comparing them to Honda is only logical, since Honda is the king of the hill. I thought the Honda lawnmower thing was kinda funny, like when my sister use to have a Daewoo microwave. It was a POS too. :lol:

thats now how the commercial was worded though. He said, more efficiant, not "just as good." so, i have to disagree with you on this. he snickered when he spoke of the lawn mower "its self propelled", remember? he did say something that is about as true as anyone can think when he said of the Mower "however, they do make something we just cant compete with." oh, how true it is.

My dad's looking at 80s Mercedes diesels. I hope he gets one; they're the absolute perfect car for a mechanical engineering professor with an interest in renewable energy.

i cant get the video to work on here for some reason,so, here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9IwIRkhT-0

you guys be the judge. is he trying to make a point about equality of the brands or is he trying to point out that Chevy is just better than honda

I'm sorry, how did they fail? They lacked good funding resulting in not being able to get a good car designer. Also, they still have a majority stake in BrawnGP so I'd watch my mouth if I were you.

I'm sorry, how did they fail? They lacked good funding resulting in not being able to get a good car designer. Also, they still have a majority stake in BrawnGP so I'd watch my mouth if I were you.

you missed the point I was making. So relax. I was pointing out the fact that they atleast did it in the first place.

I went digging in my garage and pulled this off the wall (whomever owned the house before us had nailed a bunch of our old license plates to the wall in the garage, mostly one or two from every year from about 1954 to 1975). It's in pretty good shape considering it's 40 years old, aside from the nail hole in the top, the white paint is still reflective.

I wish I could find somewhere that makes reproduction license plates for us.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/06/25/licenseplate.jpg