Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Of course everyone wants me to get the $12000 more expensive version

If you get a base V6 coupe, by the time you add the Performance Package and Recaro seats you're looking at $26-27K.

If you get the GT, it's $33K with the Recaros - $31,500 without.

(Although personally, I'd try to stretch to the Premium model - it has standard SYNC, leather and the seats have better bolstering and are more comfortable. Oh, and the Shaker sound system is pretty nice as well. The GT Premium is $35K - $37K with Recaros. The V6 Premium is $28.5K - $30.5K with Recaros.)

I wouldn't get a brand new one. :p

Sure the incentives and financing are a bit better, but a CPO car or even plain used one can be a better deal, especially if you finance with a credit union.

Does it have to be brand new, why not CPO?

That's a possibility - but remember, Nabster wants it in Gotta-Have-It Green, which was only available on 2013-14 Mustangs.

But if he's willing to compromise on color, there is this 2013 Mustang GT in Race Red with only 455 miles on it in Hughes Springs, TX for $28.5K.

And this 2012 Mustang GT with the Track Package in Kona Blue Metallic - a nice color IMO - with only 2034 miles for just under $30K in Richardson. A car like that new would cost at least $37K if not more.

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, I convinced one of my co-workers to autocross his car at the upcoming event in September.

Bit of a back story. Three weeks ago, said colleague got the chance to take a Ferrari around the Pittsburgh International Race Complex (part of Xtreme Xperience) and loved the idea of throwing a car around a course. I asked him if he wanted to go to the autocross event. He originally wasn't sure because he thought they were strictly for performance cars.

...until I showed him pictures from the event I went to in May. The diesel Jetta that participated was enough to convince him.

For the record, his current car is a 2002 Nissan Altima.

My brother did the Xtreme Xperiance event last year. It was a pretty little event. I wish I would have bought a ticket, since they had seats available the day of the event, but I passed. And now Firebird Raceway is closed, so who knows when/if they'll be back around.

I thought you were getting rid of the Dart?

How the hell have you needed to replace a turn signal bulb already? I owned my truck for three years and the only bulbs needing replacement were the headlights.

Probably cheap bulbs. We sell bulbs at work, and I've noticed that the cheaper they are the more random the lifespan is. Could last you a very long time...could be out by the time you drop the hood. :D

All the bulbs on my car are still working, and it's twice as old. :p

...though it's not saying much as it's only a little over a year old. :|

His case against Chrysler is still ongoing. Will probably be a few more months.

Bulb probably was cheap, not that I can tell since only some dealers in the area even have it in stock, and no auto parts store did. It's an amber double filament bulb, with the brighter filament being the DRL and turn signal and the dimmer filament being the parking light. Made by Toshiba.

As for the case, the lawyers updated me about it late last week. Their efforts to get an out-of-court resolution failed as Chrysler rejected any statement that the car wasn't already repaired and not likely to fail again. They filed a civil suit just the other day, so sometime soon I'll be getting paperwork establishing a court date later in the fall. From that point, Chrysler may demand to inspect the car (as will my lawyers), and depending on that Chrysler may offer a settlement. If they don't, or I don't accept it, then I get deposed and it goes to court.

That's the thing with spending other people's cash : it's easy cause it doesn't hurt as much as when it comes out of your own pocket.

On an unrelated not you should just get the Shelby Mustang GT500, anything else is just lamesauce :p
It's only 55K to start with

That's the thing with spending other people's cash : it's easy cause it doesn't hurt as much as when it comes out of your own pocket.

On an unrelated not you should just get the Shelby Mustang GT500, anything else is just lamesauce :p
It's only 55K to start with

Not this one.

How you guys feel about the electric Nissan "Delta Wing" going for 24 Hours of Le Mans ?

Meh. Seen the thing unveiled in person on the Friday before Le Mans this year, was distinctly underwhelmed, but... let's see what the actual tech specs will be and then I'll probably re-judge it.

Let's see what happens with the 'Nissan Delta Wing' itself since Nissan somehow stole the idea from the guy(s) that originaly built it. Nissan only put an engine in it. Don Panoz now tries to sue Nissan.

Yeah, the Mustang has to be that green color (they apparently changed the name of it to Green Envy for the 2014 model though). No exceptions. Slightly used really doesn't bother me.

I'm not really keen on leather. It's frigid during the winter and scorching hot during the summer, I'm fine with cloth. I've clocked the dark vinyl seats in the old Mustang at about 190+? after 10 or 15 minutes in the sun using an IR thermometer.

Next weekend I'll try to go out and drive a few just to get an idea. This weekend will be a mess of partially moving into an apartment, so not really any time for much else.

Found yet another Miata, 1993, 136k miles, original paint, 5-speed, guy bought a few years back with 111k miles, drives it daily. What should I look out for on this car? Plan would be to autocross it a few times a year and drive it once or twice a week.

Yeah, the Mustang has to be that green color (they apparently changed the name of it to Green Envy for the 2014 model though). No exceptions. Slightly used really doesn't bother me.

I'm not really keen on leather. It's frigid during the winter and scorching hot during the summer, I'm fine with cloth. I've clocked the dark vinyl seats in the old Mustang at about 190+? after 10 or 15 minutes in the sun using an IR thermometer.

Next weekend I'll try to go out and drive a few just to get an idea. This weekend will be a mess of partially moving into an apartment, so not really any time for much else.

There are very few Gotta-Have-It Green Mustangs in your area. Most of the ones I found are a fair distance away.

There's this one in Oklahoma City, called the Outlaw - it's a V6, BTW.

Recaros!

There's this GT Premium with the Brembo Brake Package at Westway Ford in Irving. (No Recaros, though.)

And a 2013 GT at Lewis Ford in Fayetteville, AR. Unfortunately, I can't find out any information on the car. The dealer's own website only lists the standard equipment and not any options or packages. It's probably a base GT with the Track Package, Tech Package, and Recaros but I'm not sure.

And that's it, I'm afraid. Unless you want to build your own like CrazyRussian did, but that window is closing fast as Ford will stop production soon to retool the plant for the 2015 models.

And a 2013 GT at Lewis Ford in Fayetteville, AR. Unfortunately, I can't find out any information on the car. The dealer's own website only lists the standard equipment and not any options or packages. It's probably a base GT with the Track Package, Tech Package, and Recaros but I'm not sure.

Do they list the VIN? Surely you could get options info out of that, right?

Well, WTF, I'm sure they could add that stuff in there. Dumbasses. It's not like the options (Save for some appearance crap like a stripe) is put on after leaving the factory.