Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just looking at that pic and assuming that the seat locating pawl didn't get knocked loose in the crash, those seats are only about 1/3 of the way back (or less) from their frontmost settings judging by the picture.

I'm still sticking with seat too far forward and improper seat belt usage as the cause of their heads smacking the windshield.

I knew someone on an old forum who was driving his Celica one morning, going for a spirited drive through some twisty backroads, when he came around a corner and hit a patch of ice and went off. He smacked into a few trees, writing off the Celica instantly, but his airbags didn't go off. The whole front end was destroyed, and the driver's side A-pillar caught a thick branch that crushed it in pretty far too. But no airbags. Luckily he was not hurt, but I don't think he had much faith in Toyota products after that.

I had a bit of a road trip today. I drove from San Antonio to Dallas in about 4:45 with a gas stop, a food stop and 2 traffic jams in Austin (<_<). I was in my brothers MkV VW GTI.

I got 28 mpg and averaged 62 mph according to the trip computer. If it wasn't for those traffic jams, I probably would have averaged better than 70 :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Which route did you take? There's the backroads path from SA to Dallas that's lots more fun than the superslab.

I knew someone on an old forum who was driving his Celica one morning, going for a spirited drive through some twisty backroads, when he came around a corner and hit a patch of ice and went off. He smacked into a few trees, writing off the Celica instantly, but his airbags didn't go off. The whole front end was destroyed, and the driver's side A-pillar caught a thick branch that crushed it in pretty far too. But no airbags. Luckily he was not hurt, but I don't think he had much faith in Toyota products after that.

Maybe the deceleration was not strong enough to deploy the airbags? :dunno:

Maybe the deceleration was not strong enough to deploy the airbags? :dunno:

Or he managed to miss all the impact sensors when he hit the trees.

Alternately, if the car was older, the charges had gone past their "use by" dates. Yes, boys and girls, you're supposed to replace airbags after a while.

Which route did you take? There's the backroads path from SA to Dallas that's lots more fun than the superslab.

I just went up I35. Boring yes, but quick as well. I have done the 281 to 67 drive before, but I needed to make time, not have fun this time.

OMG!!! Someone be a douche and call the police! He is holding his phone while driving

:p

jk

The funny thing is though, the eccentric police of britain would probably waste their resources to find you.

:lol:

Yeah, talking on the phone is completely legal in Texas, and I wasn't talking, I was taking a picture :p

Or he managed to miss all the impact sensors when he hit the trees.

Alternately, if the car was older, the charges had gone past their "use by" dates. Yes, boys and girls, you're supposed to replace airbags after a while.

I don't recall what year it was exactly, but it was the latest body style just prior to the minor face lift they did before discontinuing it. I'd say 2001-02 as a guess. But this was a few years ago, as well.

But you may be right about the sensors. The impacts where all at odd angles, but the main impact was on the driver's side front end, catching the wheel, smashing the hood, fender, and driver's door quite badly, iirc. I wish I could pull up that thread, but the forum no longer exists. Still, car held up fairly well, despite the airbag issue. No passenger compartment intrusion, besides the A-pillar that caught the branch.

Have a coat of AutoGlym Extra Gloss hardening on the car. Gonna have it settle until morning, and then it's polishing time.

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/778/2241628l4693a5331d526ff.jpg

"If katwalk drove a black Skoda"

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/778/2241628l4693a5331d526ff.jpg

"If katwalk drove a black Skoda"

oh it's all wrapped up, did you buy me a present? :wub:

Incidentally I just noticed it's a black car in a graveyard. That's not very festive..

So I slept through my alarm and ended up being late to drive my friend to the mall for work...and what do I bump into in my mad rush to get to his house? Road construction. And then a freakin' funeral. :bangin: