Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

This brings back memories... My grandma (the uncool car history one) indeed had a 92 Dynasty LE. She was the original owner since new and hers had the 3.3 and the UltraFail, along with safety updates like a airbag and rear shoulder belts. While it wasn't a loaded LE with those pillowtop leather seats, it still was very plush...not a corner carver but I'd gladly have one today to park next to the Jeep.

The UltraFail took it's last breath in like 2000, IIRC, and she traded in on a used 99 Saturn SL2.

Last edited:
So from a bad decision to a worse one?

Unlike my paternal grandma, my maternal one has had a very beige/terrible car history from what I remember:

Dynasty -> Saturn SL -> Toyota Camry -> Dodge Stratus

well, the camry was a step up.

Packing the truck for LeMons. HOW MUCH SHIT CAN ONE PERSON POSSIBLY NEED. JEEZ.

You will still need more. Where is the event?

well, the camry was a step up.

Step up in reliability, biiig step down into the abyss of boring/sleep inducing.

Also, IIRC, it was the crap 1997 Camry, no?

Last edited:
:blink:

Isn't going out of your way for beige counter to the whole point of the color?

If you were going to be using your car as a transport for dozens of dead prostitutes, wouldn't you want the car to be as non-descript as possible on purpose?

If you were going to be using your car as a transport for dozens of dead prostitutes, wouldn't you want the car to be as non-descript as possible on purpose?

If I need to transport dozens of dead hookers inconspicuously, I'm going for a white longbed F250 with a camper. The higher load capacity will keep the suspension from sagging and giving me away. Opting for white will help keep it from getting as hot and making the smell worse than it has do be.

No, I haven't thought this through at all.

Then you'd buy a Ford in Oxford White.

- - - Updated - - -

If I need to transport dozens of dead hookers inconspicuously, I'm going for a white longbed F250 with a camper. The higher load capacity will keep the suspension from sagging and giving me away. Opting for white will help keep it from getting as hot and making the smell worse than it has do be.

No, I haven't thought this through at all.

A white Ford F-series is the best option in much of the US. Especially in Texas - "I saw his car, but I didn't get his plate number! It was a white Ford F-150!" Cop: "... that's not really going to help."

The Bulgogi is in the shop for it's yearly stamp in the book, and while it's there they provide a loander car. Last time I got a new i20, so I was curios to see what they had given me this time. I got a 2003 Mitsubishi Carisma. Nothing wrong with driving the Carisma for a few hours, everything works but the way it works does remind you that 2003 was actually over a decade ago, and that the car was launched in 1995.

The lack of assist in the power steering was a bit of a shock to a Hyundai owner though. :lol:
Also you need to "find" the gears in the gearbox yourself, if I push up from second I'm used to the stick centering and then I push it more up to get third. In this I need to push up, turn right myself, and then more up to get third. It doesn't seem to like to center the stick itself. Probably not supposed to do that.

A white Ford F-series is the best option in much of the US. Especially in Texas - "I saw his car, but I didn't get his plate number! It was a white Ford F-150!" Cop: "... that's not really going to help."
Same for black Town Cars in NYC.

In this I need to push up, turn right myself, and then more up to get third. It doesn't seem to like to center the stick itself. Probably not supposed to do that.

The sister car, Volvo S40, has problems with worn shifter linkage bushings. Probably the same parts as on the Carisma.

Probably that. Got my own car back, felt good stepping back into the current decade again! :)

Probably that. Got my own car back, felt good stepping back into the current decade again! :)

Yeah, time flies. I remember when I thought our V40 from the late 90's was awesome. It had air conditioning! And cruise control! And torque steer! No wait, that's not a good thing.

I wouldn't say that the S/V40 "has problems" btw, I was on my phone when I typed that. But it's a common issue which I'm guessing owners usually don't bother to deal with.

I saw Bosse Bildoktorn? do it once, looked really easy once you got the car on a ramp. Like, something you can have your garage do for a poofteenth while they're doing your brakes or changing your oil.