Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So you could import...say...a BMW 220d to PR and then import it to the U.S...intriguing.

Not quite. The 220d would need to be imported to the US to go to a US territory, at which point the usual shenangians kick in. But since they're already officially importing the Mazda2 to Guam to sell it there, it's already federalized, and therefore it's just a matter of putting it On A Boat.

Basically, Guam=>US is *not* an import. It's exactly the same as Hawaii->mainland US.

On reading the story, it sounds like they've built the car for global markets including the US, but because they don't anticipate selling many because Americans have the memory of goldfish and are back to buying GMC Yukons because gas is below $3 and the supply chain is tight right now, they aren't going to bother allocating any to mainland US dealerships. They do, however, apparently anticipate selling enough on Guam (where things are more expensive and space is tighter), so the Mazda dealer there gets some.

If you wave sufficient cash at the Mazda dealership, I'd bet they could order one.

Last edited:
Still need me to check out that 944 though? Haven't called the guy yet but can do so.

So, I may have figured out my car-less situation.

My mom called me up the other day. She and my dad plan to drive across the country in a Volkswagen CC and lend it to me.

Apparently, my dad's gonna be in China for half the year, and they don't need another car sitting around...it's a 2012, they bought it about two years ago, and it's just passed 40,000 miles. DSG, nice and sensible.

I tried to talk my mom out of it, maybe shipping the car or something, but they're using this as an excuse for an epic road trip...unfortunately, they don't have much time to see LA once they arrive, and they're flying back the next day. :blink: Looks like they're pretty adamant about it, too.

A nice, sensible car for nice, sensible me. (Still got my eye on a 944, though.)

Still need me to check out that 944 though? Haven't called the guy yet but can do so.

I'm down to look at D 944s too, but they might be meth lab operations like this one named Tuco

He gave you a contact number? I emailed him and he never got back to me because I dared to ask him one question or two. <_<

He gave you a contact number? I emailed him and he never got back to me because I dared to ask him one question or two. <_<

CL sellers are hit or miss. That guy with the 79 320 I drove for you was really good and even contacted me several weeks later if I was still interested in a lower price.

You have questions!? How dare you!

I hate that shit. I am not willing to blindly buy anything used without asking questions. If you can't handle some questions, don't post it. I won't bother them and waste my time.

4 liter V8 Rover Discovery, has approximately 193000 miles, automatic, is unbelievable in snow. Flaws comeserate with age. During last winter, my dogs thought some chipmunks got in somewhere underneath the vehicle and tore some wires which have affected the fuel pump. I am uncertain on how to fix this, so I am dropping the price. Aside from this, it runs great. Originally asking 2350, but now 1600 or best offer.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5020032441.html

:lol:

I hate that shit. I am not willing to blindly buy anything used without asking questions. If you can't handle some questions, don't post it. I won't bother them and waste my time.

Yeah, I love spending four or five figures (ok, four figures, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Mister Moneybags over here) blindly on the second-most important purchase of a person's life!

Now, if I were asking, "when was the turbo encabulator last replaced, and was it with genuine Hupmobile factory markings" or "what is the size of your foreskin, measured in millimeters," then I might be worth a Report To Spam click.

During last winter, my dogs thought some chipmunks got in somewhere underneath the vehicle and tore some wires which have affected the fuel pump. I am uncertain on how to fix this, so I am dropping the price.

Well, duh. He should have killed all the chipmunks.

Yeah, I love spending four or five figures (ok, four figures, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Mister Moneybags over here) blindly on the second-most important purchase of a person's life!
Wait. Cars are supposed to be important, considered purchases?

Fuck. I've been doing it wrong.

And we love watching this. :D

Sometimes I think I should be more like you and just trade the FIAT for the E46 325 I saw yesterday.
It's a straight trade, both cars are worth the same, but one is a 2013 hatchback with cheap insurance and cheap parts while the other is an uninsurable 2001 luxury German sedan. What could go wrong? :lol:

You have questions!? How dare you!

It's not the car that's important. It's the being able to ditch it on some land where some gov't wage vermin won't leave you a love letter every Tuesday that is.

I changed all of the filters on the mitsu

smoothness

Jimmy-Pesto-Jr-Dancing-Gif.gif

So apparently in Volvoworld there are no people around places where you might want to park your car. This was reportedly intended to be a demonstration of the new Volvo self-parking system in the Dominican Republic.

Story: http://fusion.net/story/139703/self-parking-car-accident-no-pedestrian-detection/

Short version: Volvo notes the fact that the car was equipped with self-parking and 'City Safety' but not 'Pedestrian Detection Functionality' which costs extra. As such, while the test may not have been entirely valid, apparently the self parking Volvo will cheerfully park on top of pedestrians.

Last edited:
So apparently in Volvoworld there are no people around places where you might want to park your car. This was reportedly intended to be a demonstration of the new Volvo self-parking system in the Dominican Republic.

Story: http://fusion.net/story/139703/self-parking-car-accident-no-pedestrian-detection/

Short version: Volvo notes the fact that the car was equipped with self-parking and 'City Safety' but not 'Pedestrian Detection Functionality' which costs extra. As such, while the test may not have been entirely valid, apparently the self parking Volvo will cheerfully park on top of pedestrians.

Don't forget the Volvo that will also try to get it on with trucks.

Also these idiots

Last edited:
So, I may have figured out my car-less situation.

My mom called me up the other day. She and my dad plan to drive across the country in a Volkswagen CC and lend it to me.

Apparently, my dad's gonna be in China for half the year, and they don't need another car sitting around...it's a 2012, they bought it about two years ago, and it's just passed 40,000 miles. DSG, nice and sensible.

I tried to talk my mom out of it, maybe shipping the car or something, but they're using this as an excuse for an epic road trip...unfortunately, they don't have much time to see LA once they arrive, and they're flying back the next day. :blink: Looks like they're pretty adamant about it, too.

A nice, sensible car for nice, sensible me. (Still got my eye on a 944, though.)

Congrats! You should probably get the DSG serviced if your parents haven't done it for you. It's a every 40k interval.

Congrats! You should probably get the DSG serviced if your parents haven't done it for you. It's a every 40k interval.

I think Blake mentioned his parents' astonishment at the cost of the unicorn piss they put into that unit when they got it serviced.

Last edited:
I think Blake's mentioned his parents' astonishment at the cost of the unicorn piss they put into that unit when they got it serviced.

It's not just unicorn piss - it's gold-laced, platinum-lined bottles of unicorn piss from hand-raised unicorns in one specific tiny little valley in Germany. :p

- - - Updated - - -

(Still got my eye on a 944, though.)

Isn't the forum score for running, road legal 944s still something like 0 for 5 or something like that?

to be fair, I think one of those was always supposed to be a racecar and the other one was parts for that.