Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I suddenly have a new entry in the "Worst Car Driven This Year" contest:
IwFYYjl.jpg

Complete with Vortec 4300 V6 and 5 speed manual with long shift kit. :p

That engine was underpowered for the blazer it lived in

That engine was underpowered for the blazer it lived in

Yup. And the rest of the truck isn't any better. At least the AC works, but that's about the best that can be said about it; I had almost forgotten how wretched these things' brakes were, too.

I hate GM truck brakes. Every truck when pulling up to a light I'm pushing the brake pedal harder and harder hoping it'll stop.

My parents' '06 Yukon XL Denali doesn't have a normal brake booster, instead it's "booster" is powered off of the power steering hydraulic system. That system improves the mushiness but, that's all that can be said.

I hate GM truck brakes. Every truck when pulling up to a light I'm pushing the brake pedal harder and harder hoping it'll stop.

My parents' '06 Yukon XL Denali doesn't have a normal brake booster, instead it's "booster" is powered off of the power steering hydraulic system. That system improves the mushiness but, that's all that can be said.
Hydroboost is a diesel thing. I think you could (obscurely) get the Duramax in a Yukon. Did they?

Edit: WTF ALL SUBURBAN VARIANTS HAD HYDROBOOST FROM 2004?
You know. Or quote. Fucking tapatalk UI.

It was a desperate attempt to improve the brakes without spending more money on new calipers, pads or rotors. Or new vacuum boosters.

It was a desperate attempt to improve the brakes without spending more money on new calipers, pads or rotors. Or new vacuum boosters.

You can't possibly be telling me GM didn't have a better braking system in the parts bin. There's no way it would have been cheaper to fit every single vehicle on the line with an obscure, fairly pricey, complex-to-install part (it can't be done in a single subframed step) than to adapt something from the Corvette, or Medium Duty trucks, or some absurd Australian thing.

I refuse to believe that even GM could be that willfully underequipped. It has to have been a marketing decision.

You can't possibly be telling me GM didn't have a better braking system in the parts bin. There's no way it would have been cheaper to fit every single vehicle on the line with an obscure, fairly pricey, complex-to-install part (it can't be done in a single subframed step) than to adapt something from the Corvette, or Medium Duty trucks, or some absurd Australian thing.

I refuse to believe that even GM could be that willfully underequipped. It has to have been a marketing decision.

Nope, they don't. The Vette rotors can't be fitted to a Suburban's six lug axles, no other parts bin calipers or pads fit, they never had a zero loss booster that would fit and they had tons of hydro boost units left over from the early Duramax sales debacle.

You have to remember, they make those things here in Dallas Fort Worth and it is not hard at all to find out the internally announced reasons for changes to them.

I have just entered a legally binding contract with the Secretary of State for Transport, apparently.

Second personal reg in the bag.

That sounds intriguing, I thought the DVLA just auctioned off the registrations. :think:

(Also, I saw a bright yellow Mercedes with a number D8OSS. Where the heck is OSS from? Scotland maybe?)

Hydroboost is a diesel thing. I think you could (obscurely) get the Duramax in a Yukon. Did they?

Nope. My folks have a 6.0L gas engine.

Wikipedia says it was an option, but only on XLs/Suburbans. I think it's interesting that it wasn't available on Tahoes and regular Yukons, especially as they were also built in Kaliningrad (according to Wikipedia). I'd like to see pictures of that plant if anyone has. Sounds like a peculiar quirk of international auto production, and i bet the quality was extra shite too.

Well, the folks are currently in Florida with it. All it's needed recently was a water pump, starter, battery, and alternator(just for PM). It does have over 165,000 miles.

More fail from this truck. Three pedals, three totally different pedal heights.

xIem39k.jpg

That brake pedal.

Highly recommend the Porsche club events if you're not chasing points and trophies. You get about twice as many runs in less time because of the smaller crowd.

how can I sign up for them? And where are they held? Send me a private message, or just friend me on facebook