Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

This. It's fun with the turbo engine but apparently so much electronic crap between the driver controls and the wheels, you're probably better off with the non turbo engine since you can't use it anyway (because they won't let you).

This makes no sense.

Sitting in 47's kitchen with nicjasno and IceBone watching Japanese car commercials to ascertain the correct way to pronounce the names of their car makers.....
:?
Talking about cars with my supervisor at work the over day, he has just bought a Citroen DS3. I pronounce Citroen "seat-ro-en" and DS as "d?esse", he uses the usual UK pronunciation of both, sounding like "sit-ren" and "dee-es". When I referred to as Nissan as a "nee-san" he moaned about how I pronounce everything so properly. :lol: I still use the old Dacia "day-see-a" pronunciation though and frequently butcher "Volkswagen" so it balances out nicely.

One that annoys classic car people is Vanden Plas, I pronounce it "Van-den-plas" but most people I meet say "Van-den-plah"...

The city of Tampere gives car owners a month to get their car back, counting from the date the vehicle has been towed. The Citro?n has been removed from the location on Aug 6th. It's likely the ownership change last week has been because of scrapping.

I gotta call 'em.

I found out today that a rental spec Ford Fiesta is faster than a Jeep Patriot in a drag race.

The R33 is the import legal one, and it's only the later cars with dual airbags that are eligible.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/pages/page10.html

They *were* legal to import - I'd guess the holders of the import certificates went out of business or didn't renew their type certificates because they're not on the list any more. The 1988-1990 Jag XJ12 was legal to import as well (for sure, because my friend actually had one imported several years ago and there are a number of them still running around in the US) and it isn't on the list any more either.

I was in a carpark today, I stayed in the car while my buddy went into the shop. A Jellymold pulled into the space next to me (In white and driven by a woman obviously) Her husband was in the passenger seat and two kids in the back. I wanted to punch them all in the face.

I was in a carpark today, I stayed in the car while my buddy went into the shop. A Jellymold pulled into the space next to me (In white and driven by a woman obviously) Her husband was in the passenger seat and two kids in the back. I wanted to punch them all in the face.

Have you ever considered consulting a physician?
This can't be healthy. You don't sound like a sane person.

The 1988-1990 Jag XJ12 was legal to import as well (for sure, because my friend actually had one imported several years ago and there are a number of them still running around in the US) and it isn't on the list any more either.
Those are now eligible under the 25-year rule, right? There's a few juicy ones on Canadian eBay right now.

Those are now eligible under the 25-year rule, right? There's a few juicy ones on Canadian eBay right now.

They were legal to import before, too. But yes, the 88-90 ones are now covered under the 25 year rolling exemption, except in California.

Talking about cars with my supervisor at work the over day, he has just bought a Citroen DS3. I pronounce Citroen "seat-ro-en" and DS as "d?esse", he uses the usual UK pronunciation of both, sounding like "sit-ren" and "dee-es". When I referred to as Nissan as a "nee-san" he moaned about how I pronounce everything so properly. :lol: I still use the old Dacia "day-see-a" pronunciation though and frequently butcher "Volkswagen" so it balances out nicely.

One that annoys classic car people is Vanden Plas, I pronounce it "Van-den-plas" but most people I meet say "Van-den-plah"...

I usually just say "Vdub"

Oh look! The guy who played Satan in the 2005 movie Constantine!

Oh look! The guy who played Satan in the 2005 movie Constantine!
Coincidence? I think not.

Those were the best car commercials in the last ten years, IMO.
You're not wrong. Nothing better springs to mind. I think there were some neat ones for the GTO or G8, but they were aired like four times.

I think the Dodge Dart and Dodge brothers commercials are good.

And Henry Ford was an anti-semite.

Did Louis Chevrolet set fire to puppies?

Did Louis Chevrolet set fire to puppies?
Only once he ran out of endangered species to hunt for fun and profit.

Any particular reason? And what is a jellymold?

Have you ever considered consulting a physician?
This can't be healthy. You don't sound like a sane person.

Yeah, such an angry reaction to somebody parking next to him is not a good sign.

Too bad the reality was they were complete assholes.

All the auto makers had problems with the number one guy. There were a few in secondary positions that weren't very nice either.

Any particular reason? And what is a jellymold?
Yeah, such an angry reaction to somebody parking next to him is not a good sign.

As far as I know, jellymold is how Aston Martin calls the Fiat 500, a car he hates with a passion, hence his reaction.
Now, honestly, there are cars I dislike as well, but in the immortal words of Princess Elsa: LET IT GO.