Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If you live in a rural area long distances are often required just for simple things and relocating won't help much. Currently my commute is 66 miles a day, my wife who works in the opposite direction of me is about 45 a day. When I was going to school 4 days a week between work and school I was driving 123 miles a day. If we move closer to my work her commute would increase.
I'm simply asking if he has considered moving to perhaps a less rural area. Of course I don't know his full situation, or if he's even unhappy about the commute as it is. Different strokes and all that... hence my question.

I used to do a similar run into the Detroit area 5 times a week and I hated it. That drive was soul crushing on a good day, and insanity inducing on a bad day. But that was me on the Detroit run.

138 miles each day, about a hour and 30-40 minutes each way when I was in Carlisle and driving the Accord from there to work.

If I had class, it'd be even longer, easily 2 hours on the trip from work to school.

My commute to the office is 22km one way... And that's because the towns close to my office are run down and riddled with crime.

I saw an uncamouflaged CT6 walking to my car after work. I didn't take a picture because the front was initially obscured by a lamp post, so I just thought it was a CTS until it turned and I saw the teardrop headlights. So if they were going for obscure luxury, I guess they succeeded on the obscure part.

Only??? I consider my current commute of about 10 km as long. It is the longest I've ever had, in fact.
I guess thats Europe vs US thing? Big country so they drive more naturelly? :dunno:

OTOH my commute is 31 km one way, which I consider short... It does sometimes take me over an hour though, because traffic and people being idiots :dunno:

I once had a 24 mile commute. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't need to take a 45 minute ferry through half of it. Before I bought my motorcycle I biked half the other part and bussed the rest. Not fun.

A sixty-kilometer each way commute is considered normal where I grew up: My hometown's close enough to Hamburg that people who want their kids to grow up in the countryside commute to Hamburg each day, while offering enough jobs (for example, in telenovela production) that people who want to live in a big city commute from Hamburg each day, as well...

I think I start to use only studless tires from now on on my own cars. Some actual winter days have passed now, and my 200 CDI is struggling to get the rear end loose on snow. Amazing grip on the Hakkapeliitta R2's.

A sixty-kilometer each way commute is considered normal where I grew up: My hometown's close enough to Hamburg that people who want their kids to grow up in the countryside commute to Hamburg each day, while offering enough jobs (for example, in telenovela production) that people who want to live in a big city commute from Hamburg each day, as well...

Living right there and working right in the city center aswell as reading these posts I now feel extremely lucky to have a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride to work. Holy shit, I couldn't endure two to three hours commute everyday. Hell no.

Serious question: have you given any thought to relocating?
I have, but it's just the side of "makes no financial sense."

I'd have to sell my house and buy another one. Given this one is 75 percent paid off and I'm angling for a retention payout that will pay it off, that's a big thing. I'd have to build a new garage. In order to do that it'd need to be in a pretty damned rural location.

I have spreadsheets that say it's a bad idea

As for driving in on the weekends for practice... Past two years I've worked an average of 6 day weeks.

Last edited:
I think I start to use only studless tires from now on on my own cars. Some actual winter days have passed now, and my 200 CDI is struggling to get the rear end loose on snow. Amazing grip on the Hakkapeliitta R2's.

:thumbsup:

R2's are awesome on snow. On sheet ice, the kind you can't walk on without slipping and breaking your ass, you want studs. On everything else (that is: 364 days out of the year for me) R2's are awesome. And quiet.

Went for a drive last night, while it was hovering right around freezing. Still on summer tires, surprisingly plenty of grip, I guess the friction produces enough heat.

Living right there and working right in the city center aswell as reading these posts I now feel extremely lucky to have a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride to work. Holy shit, I couldn't endure two to three hours commute everyday. Hell no.

this is also my commute, usually less than 10min by bicycle. i had a 20 minute drive for a while, which was perfectly fine as well, but everything over 30min one way just seems like too much of a waste of time :dunno:

:thumbsup:

R2's are awesome on snow. On sheet ice, the kind you can't walk on without slipping and breaking your ass, you want studs. On everything else (that is: 364 days out of the year for me) R2's are awesome. And quiet.

Yeah, that's my experience with studless on my Volvo too, all good... until i got to icy roads, then i missed having proper studded tires.