Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Do automotive engineers like old-people restaurants or something? I saw a convoy of 7 vehicles, all with Michigan manufacturer plates, near the same Kings restaurant where I saw the CT6 recently. Two heavily-camouflaged SUVs, one VW Tiguan facelift with only the fascias camouflaged, and support vehicles of a Hyundai Tuscon, Range Rover Evoque, and one other I don't remember.

I'm going to have to start having my camera handy any time I walk past there.

It's cheap and decent food. Especially if they're Greek owned diners.

Maybe car engineers too like early, affordable breakfast to cap off their morning.

So this was an interesting post on /r/JustRolledIntoTheShop

The buyer hired a cheap transport company. The truck driver loaded the car on top level backwards, and for some reason did not properly close the trunk lid. The trunk lid flew open at about 70mph and detached from the body on one side, pulling out the from the mounts.
It broke the rear window, kinked the D-pillars and caused some substantial damage to the chassis where the arms mount. For some reason when they designed the car, they attached the hinge arms through the chassis firewall with a 4"x4" plate, which in this case, came out through the chassis leaving a big hole.
The insurance estimator guesses the damage could be in excess of $100,000 and the car has been declared a total loss.
Get that covered transport for your classics, kids!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/3uy8ox/so_my_bentley_got_written_off_today/

L6UD7eDl.jpg

sNgjXQVl.jpg

jb4ETGal.jpg

qzy0mebl.jpg

Why would the structure be designed like that? It seems absurd to attach the trunk hinge arms to a major structural component.

Well a Bentley isn't supposed to be transported by anything but a gentleman after all.

Swapping the tires in the wagon today and noticed something.

there's still a factory marking on the frame... That's 28 years ago....

Also : what can cause your tyre pressure to drop massively on one corner?
Fitted my winter tyres today (finally cold enough) and while most were around the 1.7 -1.8 bar region (should be 2.5), one was at 0.6 bar.
Filled them all up and it seems the "flat" one is holding pressure...

Could it just be from lying on the bottom of the tyre pile for 8 months? Or do I have a slow leak? I'm curious

The plot thickens (or in this case, inflates).

2 weeks and +- 900 kms later the pressures are as follows (all were inflated to 2.5 bar)

FL (was 0.6 initially) : 2.3 bar
FR : 2.5 bar
RL : 2.4 bar
RR : 2.6 bar

So none were really leaky, and the right rear actually gained some????

Gas station pressure gauges are usually broken.

The plot thickens (or in this case, inflates).

2 weeks and +- 900 kms later the pressures are as follows (all were inflated to 2.5 bar)

FL (was 0.6 initially) : 2.3 bar
FR : 2.5 bar
RL : 2.4 bar
RR : 2.6 bar

So none were really leaky, and the right rear actually gained some????

Gas station pressure gauges are usually broken.

^^ This is likely.

But were you testing them on a day with a smiler temperature and weather? That can account for a lot of pressure variation.

Same temperature give or take a few degrees, same pump... :hmm:

I don't trust the reading itself, just that it's consistent with the other three tires.

Yeah mine is one of those retractable ones like narf mentioned....