Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

lorinsersls_lead.jpg

lorinsersls_10.jpg

Much of the discussion in Frankfurt centered on our personal "best of show" car. Going into the show, it would have been pretty safe to assume that the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG would have been the run away winner. What's not to love? 571 hp, essentially mid-engined (you should see how far back that engine sits in the chassis), gullwings -- its got everything. But up close, something about it left us... a little cold. It's probably the headlights. So our best of show group decision went to the E63 AMG Wagon. There's something so very right about 500+ horsepower wagons. But maybe Lorinser could help steer our affections back to the Gullwing?

If you don't know, Mercedes tuner Lorinser has never met a fender it liked. Meaning that there idea of a good time is to hack vents into every body surface it can. Sometimes the results are okay. And sometimes, let's just say not so okay. Lorinser actually has two competing design studies it's considering. The first and probably most controversial is a Carbon Fiber design, with an unpainted CF hood, a Lorinser family crest in place of the Mercedes-Benz three-pointed star in the grill and scores of carbon fiber trims pieces all over the place.

The second, more low-key design is probably closer to the real deal. It even features a soon to be Lorinser signature -- vents behind vents. There are also six giant eyebrows festooned around the car. A homage, no doubt, to the brows on the original 300 SL. We will admit that we like the headlights in Lorinser's rendering more than the production SLS.

Already?

Last edited:
I think I've decided my next car with either be a NSX or an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV. If I have a nice place to work (i.e. garage) where I don't have to have the car exposed to the elements it will be a 1750 GTV. If I don't, I'm going NSX.

Can someone tell what the HF means in Lancia Delta HF Integrale? It's driving me nuts.

edit. Ha, so it means High Fidelity after some club.

Last edited:

(please don't shoot me, I was kidding)

Could you please move a little to the right? I'm having a hard enough time lining up this shot and there's an offshore windmill in the way... :mrgreen::mrgreen::lol:

Hmm, I saw 3 new Jag XJs with the logos taped off going the opposite direction of me on the M50, followed by a Jaguar lorry.... can't really say much as to how they looked, as we were going at relative speed of 140mph to each other.

Mmmmm... 2010 NPD Mustang parts catalog has arrived. Time to see what's new and start a new list.

quoted for future reference. He doesn't know anything, all he has is an extreme collection of books :p

(please don't shoot me, I was kidding)

Nah he just uses the Junior Encyclopedia of Space.

What If Caterham started building replicas of every Lotus thats gone out of production, just like they do with the 7?

that would be seriously awesome, I think

What If Caterham started building replicas of every Lotus thats gone out of production, just like they do with the 7?

Hell yeah, a white Turbo Esprit would rock.

at this point caterhams are more look-a-likes than replicas but yeah it would be awesome if someone other than Westfield got into the Lotus Eleven replica game

What If Caterham started building replicas of every Lotus that's gone out of production, just like they do with the 7?

I'll have my 1st. gen elan in British racing green please

I wonder if I should replace the cambelt on my car. It would require a bit of extra work in addition to the headwork, and the old cambelt still has ~25000 km's left in it.. It would be easiest now, and I already have a new belt.. :think:

What sort of silly question is that? You have the part and the engine already torn apart. There's no harm replacing it before it becomes a problem. Not to mention you won't have to worry about taking things apart again later, the whole time going "I should have done this when I had the chance."

if you already have the new belt and it is easiest now then why the heck not...

gaasc's mitsu-celebrating 2 weeks of not suddenly bursting in flames

the alternator had a really bad case of suddenly doing that, that is until i got a new one (turns out it still had the 1989 original one)

Last edited: