Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Here's a random thought: why do car fuel fillers and gas station signs still say, "unleaded fuel only?" Is there any place in North America that you can still buy leaded gasoline on a regular basis? Even NASCAR phased that stuff out a few years ago.

AFAIK you can still buy leaded racing fuel. I could see some stupid ricer putting that in his honda just to be "cool."

That would be hilarious.

Is there any place in North America that you can still buy leaded gasoline on a regular basis?.

I remember seeing leaded fuel at Infineon Raceway for the dragsters. I imagine the 110, 114 and 118 octane ratings might tempt a few people into trying it in their cars. The $7/gal cost might have been a big enough deterrent on its own, though! :p (this was back when premium was around $2/gal)

I remember seeing leaded fuel at Infineon Raceway for the dragsters. I imagine the 110, 114 and 118 octane ratings might tempt a few people into trying it in their cars. The $7/gal cost might have been a big enough deterrent on its own, though! :p (this was back when premium was around $2/gal)

If you're smart enough to know what octane ratings are, you won't be putting leaded fuel in your car. ;)

http://img21.imageshack.**/img21/4359/1120104runnerlimited102.jpg

The 2010 Toyota 4Runner has ditched the LED tail lights. Honda did the same with the new Accord. I guess they figured the complication was not worth it.

I think the wife is in the process of buying a 2010 VW Tiguan.

Hang on, let me draw you a diagram...

Grey = concrete bridge pillar.
White = Impassable, i.e. not paved.
Black = paved

The horizontal road is a 55 with a flow of traffic of 70 in the right lane.

The exit ramp has a recommended speed of 25mph and NO deceleration lane (and not even a shoulder leading up to it that you can improperly appropriate to use as one)

I'm talking, specifically about something like this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/09/26/roads.jpg

Green being main highway road (speed limit 55) and the pink/purple is a very adequate turn/deceleration lane. I'm annoyed at people who slow to ~30, and then drive that speed the length of the yellow (which is still the highway, no extra lane has appeared there yet), then into the purple where they slow even further.

It sounds like your carb needs to be rebuilt. Don't adjust your carb by guesstamtion either. The adjustments are for the idle circut only. If you are running rich(even slighty), your float is probably the problem. It probably has a plastic foam type of float and they start to absord fuel causing it to sink slighty. That causes the fuel in the bowl to rise higher than it should, causing the rich problem. So a simple rebuild should cure the problem.

And after the rebuild take it in to a shop and have them adjust your carbs idle mixture, well worth the extra cash.

No. First, it's literally a 4-month old carb. Second, the idle is fine, that's not what I've been messing with- I've been messing with the rods and jets for on-throttle fuel mixtures. Right now it's on stock rods and smaller jets to lean it some, I've got a set of slightly larger rods which I could lean it down even more with if needed. However, I pulled a couple plugs today to check on them after I cleaned them up yesterday, and now they've got a good beige-ish color which indicates it's running much better. I have a feeling the sooty buildup was there from before I started changing the rods and jets.

Here's a random thought: why do car fuel fillers and gas station signs still say, "unleaded fuel only?" Is there any place in North America that you can still buy leaded gasoline on a regular basis? Even NASCAR phased that stuff out a few years ago.

My car was built to run on leaded fuel. Though, it's had hardened valve seats installed so it runs fine on unleaded fuel without eating anything internal.

Might I suggest this instead?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/1382566481.html

Like the Tiguan it has four road going wheels, headlights, and an internal combustion engine. This pretty much makes it the exact same thing.

:lol:....:| Yeah, right. Not in her eyes.

And if she is considering the Tiguan in red, they even have the same color!

Coincidentally, she is looking to buy one painted red. I tried to push her towards the Sante Fe, the Escape...nope. It has to a Tiguan with a sunroof. And truth be known, with her income, she could buy a Toureg or Audi Q7, but she likes cute cars. :rolleyes:

I'm talking, specifically about something like this:

Green being main highway road (speed limit 55) and the pink/purple is a very adequate turn/deceleration lane. I'm annoyed at people who slow to ~30, and then drive that speed the length of the yellow (which is still the highway, no extra lane has appeared there yet), then into the purple where they slow even further.

Yeah, I know what you were talking about, but most drivers can't comprehend that their location changes over time, and will thus assume that ALL exits are stupid and broken.

The Tiguan is cute?! :?

She thinks so. :dunno:

Anyhow, she just bought a 2009 White SEL, leather interior. And she worked over the dealership, who must have been deperate to sell a car, and got it for $26,000. :dance:

My dear Subaru almost killed me today, the brakes decided to not work at all when i got close to a busy intersection. After 3 hard stomps on the pedal, i managed to stop the car about 3 inches from the crossing road. Turns out that one of the rear brake rotors had cracked and destroyed both brakepads, damaging the caliper and... Well. New parts were shopped for ?160, and now the car is running fine and stops when you press the brake pedal.

wait, Tiguan's have SEL trim levels? i thought you could only choose engines in them and that their base price was $39k (at least in honduras it is)