Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Ideally, I'd like to end up with a 10.something:1 CR.

Maybe I should simply deal with the extra cost and go with a set of aluminium heads as a next step. The 60cc Edelbrocks are optimized for high-rpm use, though, so maybe the 62cc Trick Flow PowerPort Cleveland 195 could be a better alternative. But then again, I can't find any information towards which rpm band they are optimized for...

I'd say 10.5:1 on a 400M is about as high as you want to go on pump gas. They don't quench particularly well with the 0.067" deck clearance, so it can be a battle to avoid detonation at those CRs. The Edelbrocks are a decent head and reasonably priced - they may be "designed for high RPM" but they'll still give you a big power boost across the band. The downside is that the Eddies are a 60cc chamber designed to work with the common 8cc dished pistons, not the flat-tops you have in there now. You'd end up with 11.17:CR, too high unless you went back to stock pistons (10.25:1 CR). Even the TrickFlows are 62cc, which is 10.93:1 with your current setup. IMO, the best heads for your current setup are the CHI 2V Cleveland 190cc heads, which are available with a 67cc chamber giving you 10.36:1. They're more expensive than the Edelbrocks, but it saves you from having to swap pistons again. Of course before you buy anything I'd recommend getting in touch with CHI and seeing exactly what they recommend for you.

I'd say 10.5:1 on a 400M is about as high as you want to go on pump gas. They don't quench particularly well with the 0.067" deck clearance, so it can be a battle to avoid detonation at those CRs. The Edelbrocks are a decent head and reasonably priced - they may be "designed for high RPM" but they'll still give you a big power boost across the band. The downside is that the Eddies are a 60cc chamber designed to work with the common 8cc dished pistons, not the flat-tops you have in there now. You'd end up with 11.17:CR, too high unless you went back to stock pistons (10.25:1 CR). Even the TrickFlows are 62cc, which is 10.93:1 with your current setup. IMO, the best heads for your current setup are the CHI 2V Cleveland 190cc heads, which are available with a 67cc chamber giving you 10.36:1. They're more expensive than the Edelbrocks, but it saves you from having to swap pistons again. Of course before you buy anything I'd recommend getting in touch with CHI and seeing exactly what they recommend for you.
67cc would be the sweet spot, yep. I can't get the CHI site to throw out a price right now, though...

Last edited:
Unlikely. They sell.

Yeah, but they may have figured out that they've got too many models cannibalizing each others' sales. They could get more profit by selling more of one machine instead of lesser amounts of two or three machines. And they might get more sales of just one model than two or three combined.

There is such a thing as too much model segmentation.

67cc would be the sweet spot, yep. I can't get the CHI site to throw out a price right now, though...

A pair of 190cc 2V heads are $2,178.91 bare, $3,052 for street-duty assembled. The 185cc 3V heads are basically the same price, IMO either would work up to 500HP but you'd want to confirm specs with CHI before ordering anything.

A pair of 190cc 2V heads are $2,178.91 bare, $3,052 for street-duty assembled. The 185cc 3V heads are basically the same price, IMO either would work up to 500HP but you'd want to confirm specs with CHI before ordering anything.
Would make sense, probably. But I think headers and a better exhaust would be the first step. Or the second if I choose to go with another iteration of the EFI first...

I think your best bang for the buck at this point would be headers (or a really good set of modern aftermarket manifolds) and exhaust. There was a recent Engine Masters comparison piece on the different header types plus an aftermarket manifold in a dyno cell - it is on YouTube and is quite worth watching if you haven't already.

my garbage sons

C7SUCZ1XgAASymf.jpg:large

C7SUCZzXgAQlept.jpg:large

C7SUCZ2WwAAO77n.jpg:large

C7SUCZ1W4AEK8kr.jpg:large

205 not pictured as it's not road legal and it's on the other side of the town.

Reactions: TC
My fianc?e's brother rented a "Jeep".

MQjkLvV.jpg

Looks like someone in Melfi screwed up :lol:

Last edited:
Would make sense, probably. But I think headers and a better exhaust would be the first step. Or the second if I choose to go with another iteration of the EFI first...

Oh, definitely. I only brought them up because you were putting out feelers for the Aussie heads, didn't want you buying something you couldn't use.

Oh, definitely. I only brought them up because you were putting out feelers for the Aussie heads, didn't want you buying something you couldn't use.
Thank you for your help, yep! Story will be continued in all-too-much detail in Lucille's thread.

My fianc?e's brother rented a "Jeep".

MQjkLvV.jpg

Looks like someone in Melfi screwed up :lol:

Leave it to the bloody Italians.....

Post necro from Sept 2012:

The cheap E28 got sold quickly. And I went to check out a W124, which I found overpriced and not as clean as I would've hoped. Thing is, I did check out another car at the same dealer as the W124.

A 1996 Saab 900S. 2.0-litre, NA, manual, dark green. German import, 213k on the clock, one owner, zero rust. I was offered 1400 eur as a trade-in price for the 323F, that's not much less than what I paid for it three years ago. This would be a convenient spot to transition from the 323F to a more solid car.

Drawbacks? No service book, no handling to speak of. Rides well, smoothly, solidly, without creaks though, and I do think clocking the Saab for profit would've been a weird thing to do, since those aren't in too high demand in Germany. Also, the first Saab I've driven and liked, and that says something.

When the dealership got it on the forecourt, they stickered it for 3900. Now it's 2900, or 2600 without a trade-in. Still expensive for a 900NG, though, and the insurance is double compared to both of my cars, even if I transfer the bonuses on it. Weird.

I found this car at a scrapyard today. No idea what went wrong with it, and the guys there didn't remember. Shame I can't find any photos from when I drove it.

C7XilrVXkAMpSbu.jpg:large

C7XilrTX0AAkFia.jpg:large

C7XilrSXwAAjr7G.jpg:large

C7XilrbWkAQGED7.jpg:large

I was going to ask how you found your car, then I remembered license plates stay with the car and not the owner.

I wonder if anyone's ever built a 993 Targa with the top of a 964 Targa on a 993 cabrio (apparently fits?) or just put the body panels of a 993 on a 964 Targa ... would look awesome.

836200d1400616116-964-targa-top-for-993-9.jpg

836266d1400630463-964-targa-top-for-993-993-targa.jpg

850+ miles, 15.5 hours and 5 states. I'm turning in for the night...
Damn, where are you and what are you doing? Timing systems?