Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

All it takes is money to own one. No training or anything....

They do give you a voucher for a day of driving school for free. However maybe it should be 2 or 3 days?

Again I find myself agreeing with the Canadian Doctor.....10 years ago I LUSTED after an Aston, things never got cooler then that, British, classy and brutal, but somehow just behind the times...in a good way.
These days? It's just another run of the mill high-tech 'modern' sportscar designed by commity to be as innoculous as possible....carbon fibre splitters and all.

Let's cut the bullshit here, when you pull up in an Aston, you want people to think James Bond has arrived, or at least Jack Ryan....not a whimpy popped collar douchebag who got rich on selling hot air.
You must pop more collars before feeding more douchebags into Cowboy's threshing machine.

Were backyard mechanics and tuners ever required to undergo training for their home built monstrosities?

There are several motorcycles on the market right now (and have been for a while) that are faster in the quarter and cost way less. The 2012-on Kawasaki ZX-14R does 9.47@152.83 in the quarter right out of the box and is pretty much only limited by the pilot's reaction times and available traction - and that'd be before relatively inexpensive modifications and tuning. This is what it does with only an exhaust and a careful tune.

It also is likely to cost an order of magnitude less than the Dodge Demon and it too requires no special education other than basic motorcycle operator's training. You are far more likely to see one of these blitzing your local roads than this likely $100K-plus Dodge. Are you also concerned about that?

Last edited:
Ah the old '2 wheels are better than 4' argument. Been a while....

Last edited:
Ah the old '2 wheels are better than 4' argument. Been a while....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MotoG3 met Tapatalk

No, I'm just pointing out that if he's concerned about 'untrained people' getting ahold of a Demon and running amok, there's already faster vehicles out there that cost a *lot* less money, require no special additional training, and are probably already running amok around his area. I'm just trying to see what he's especially concerned about - the performance of the Demon, truly high performance vehicles in general, or if it's just plain old irrational "ZOMG SOMETHING IS ACTUALLY REALLY FAST AND ISNT AN EXOTIC SO PEOPLE WHO BUY IT WILL ALL DO STUPID THINGS WITH IT."

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Correction - said truly high performance vehicles *are* already running amok in his part of the world. http://abc7chicago.com/news/crotch-rocket-bikers-turn-chicago-highways-into-stunt-tracks-/1092163/

So, why all the concern over the Demon, a vehicle very likely to cost over $100k that's mostly going to be bought by people over 40 or 50 and rarely driven hard? Just look at the higher performance models of the Corvette - pretty much the same situation and their insurance rates are relatively low simply because the people that can actually afford them are older and generally don't drive them like idiots.

Last edited:
Were backyard mechanics and tuners ever required to undergo training for their home built monstrosities?

Technically to run faster than 9.99 you have to have an IHRA or NHRA license. If you are at a track that checks for such things. Also, as many things I've already seen state, again technically, the Demon will need to be fitted with a roll cage and go through a technical inspection before being allowed to run that quick.

Just in general.

Most tracks require anything that runs 12 seconds or less to have a cage.

Most tracks require anything that runs 12 seconds or less to have a cage.

Eh, it's a bit more complicated now. You are correct that a roll bar was required at 11.99 and quicker, but there have been some relaxations of the rules and an exception. The way it sets now, at least with IHRA, a roll bar is required at 11.49 on all vehicles except 2008 and newer unmodified vehicles running at non-competition events, i.e. test and tune. They aren't required to have a bar until 10.49. Now, what unmodified is seems up for discussion. Either way, if you run 9.99 or quicker you need a cage and a competition license. However, the licensing process is pretty easy. Make a few runs, have a track official sign off on those runs and mail in your paperwork. Easy. Peasy.

Well, it has been awhile since I have raced, or helped with a car running regularly, so my information is a bit out of date.

Well, it has been awhile since I have raced, or helped with a car running regularly, so my information is a bit out of date.
No worries, I get asked these questions all the time and have been studying to get my IHRA tech inspector licence.

Something that I see and don't quite understand though. Say you build a steel bodied 1932 Ford. It is quick, say 12.30s, but you aren't technically required to have a roll bar. Even though we all know an older car like that was never meant to sustain a crash of 115 mph. Other than encourage the driver to get one, I can't stop him from running his vehicle unless something else about it is unsafe.

This might be a bit of a weird question but this forum is so widely spread in its topics, I figured it's worth a shot asking in this thread:

So a good friend of mine wants to build himself a DIY hydraulic handbrake for his simulation rig (PC). He currently uses the Fanatec Clubsport Handbrake which is quite simple in its operation, as its just a potentiometer and a spring, both which just cause trouble as they often refuse to work properly. Basically, it hasn't been worth the 130?.

He has now ordered a handbrake which is designed for a real car. The plan is to build this as a hydraulic handbrake for his rig, as it is quite simple to do: He needs a slave cylinder, some brake lines and a pressure sensor, aswell as a cheap Leo Bodnar USB interface board and a software to run it. Everything cheap to get, everything no trouble for him to install and calibrate. The way he wants to build it is basically like this guy build himself some DIY hydraulic pedals, just for a handbrake. It does look a bit complicated but it is actually rather simple job to do. Here's another thread showing how it's done with parts which are a bit more expensive, but the way it works is the same.

But for this he needs a slave cylinder in pull-type. The only ones he can find are quite expensive (often 100+ ?/$) and often come from the US, which requires a lot of time and shipping costs. Does anybody know where he can get one, that might be from a real car, bike, or something similar which could be used? The whole DIY hydraulic handbrake build could be done for around ~ 100?, and by buying a slave cylinder in pull form from the US he could just cash out some more buy himself the Heusinkveld one or even the DSD version.

Basically what he is looking for, just cheaper, if possible(?):

Wilwood 260-1333 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Surely there must be some ?ber cheap ones for like 30 - 40 ?/$ flying around out there?

Or does someone know any similar parts that could be used? I mean, the core idea is just to have something that works as a buffer to simulate the feeling of pressing a brake, but not just by a simple potentiometer or loadcell. It acts as a resistance on a spring on a firm rubber buffer to emulate the feeling of the brake pads being pressed on the discs.

If he can't find a cheaper one than these Wilwood ones, than he's just gonna by one, try it out and maybe mod the Fanatec handbrake with it as the constant failures are just a big annoyance.

Any help is appreciated to this cheap DIY build!

From the press release :

Official Driving School of Dodge/SRT
All customers who buy new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon receive one full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving. The Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Chandler, Arizona, is the Official High Performance Driving School of Dodge//SRT. All customers who buy a new model SRT will receive one full-day session of high-performance driving with professional instruction and time on the track as part of the Dodge SRT Package. For more information, visit www.driveSRT.com.

I don't think you are required to attend, but still, it's something...

Technically to run faster than 9.99 you have to have an IHRA or NHRA license. If you are at a track that checks for such things. Also, as many things I've already seen state, again technically, the Demon will need to be fitted with a roll cage and go through a technical inspection before being allowed to run that quick.
I know, I was just challenging (see what I did there?) the assertion that it ever required training to be allowed to pilot such a fast car. On the street, nada. On the strip, as you say, it needs to meet certain safety/technical specifications, but that's it.

Last edited:
From the press release :

I don't think you are required to attend, but still, it's something...

A lot of high performance manufactures include a complimentary driver training program, but I think the number of owners that take advantage of this is pretty low.

Off the top of me head I can think of:
Ford ST: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-st-octane-academy-driving-experience.html
Ford GT350: https://www.gt350trackattack.com/en/
Ford Raptor: https://www.raptorassault.com/en/
Mercedes AMG: https://www.amgacademy.com/program/offer
Fiat Abarth: https://www.abarthexperience.com/event/register/intro.jsp
Cadillac V: http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/v-performance-driver-training.html

Jaguar used to do it with the R cars and BMW used to do it with M, but seems like both programs got discontinued.

I know, I was just challenging (see what I did there?) the assertion that it ever required training to be allowed to pilot such a fast car. On the street, nada. On the strip, as you say, it needs to meet certain safety/technical specifications, but that's it.

I gotcha. My brain immediately went to the track to test the limits of such a machine. I guess not all would think that way as you say.

No worries, I get asked these questions all the time and have been studying to get my IHRA tech inspector licence.

Something that I see and don't quite understand though. Say you build a steel bodied 1932 Ford. It is quick, say 12.30s, but you aren't technically required to have a roll bar. Even though we all know an older car like that was never meant to sustain a crash of 115 mph. Other than encourage the driver to get one, I can't stop him from running his vehicle unless something else about it is unsafe.

Isn't there a clause that allows you to stop them from running?

I bought the remains of a perfomance shop in the 90s after the owner was killed(street) drag racing in Flint, in a T Bucket. Not a smart move on many levels from someone that should have known better. Your Dad might recognize the name of the shop. Kustom Equipment. The shop was the performance Mecca around here before the big mail order places took over. He specialized in Corvettes, and had a small catalog that was sent out. He was also into the turbo Buicks.

A lot of high performance manufactures include a complimentary driver training program, but I think the number of owners that take advantage of this is pretty low.

Off the top of me head I can think of:
Ford ST: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-st-octane-academy-driving-experience.html
Ford GT350: https://www.gt350trackattack.com/en/
Ford Raptor: https://www.raptorassault.com/en/
Mercedes AMG: https://www.amgacademy.com/program/offer
Fiat Abarth: https://www.abarthexperience.com/event/register/intro.jsp
Cadillac V: http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/v-performance-driver-training.html

Jaguar used to do it with the R cars and BMW used to do it with M, but seems like both programs got discontinued.
Heck, even Saab used to do it for 9-3 Viggen buyers.

Isn't there a clause that allows you to stop them from running?

Only if something about the vehicle could be deemed unsafe. I.E. the car handles terrible or had some other major safety violations.

I bought the remains of a perfomance shop in the 90s after the owner was killed(street) drag racing in Flint, in a T Bucket. Not a smart move on many levels from someone that should have known better. Your Dad might recognize the name of the shop. Kustom Equipment. The shop was the performance Mecca around here before the big mail order places took over. He specialized in Corvettes, and had a small catalog that was sent out. He was also into the turbo Buicks.

The dichotomy of street vs drag racing is always been a strange one. Dragstrips where built to give people a safe place to race, but then they either don't want to abide the rules or the track closes due to a laundry list of things. Then street racing becomes a problem again. I met a guy once that only street raced, his reasoning was he got a bigger rush from it.

I'll ask dad about that guy, he's got a hell of a knowledge of early drag racing.