Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Picked up my old busted Saab transmission from the Jag shop. Owner points to a big red coupe he has on a lift. Yes, it's an XJR-S with the 6.0 L V-12; only downside is that it, er, doesn't run. Apparently the Jaguar factory folks don't know anything about the special parts it has, and directed him to "some guys in Australia". What's left of TWR, I presume.

Much better than the US-spec ones which still had huge rubber bumper sections.
137681-500-0@2x.jpg

Picked up my old busted Saab transmission from the Jag shop. Owner points to a big red coupe he has on a lift. Yes, it's an XJR-S with the 6.0 L V-12; only downside is that it, er, doesn't run. Apparently the Jaguar factory folks don't know anything about the special parts it has, and directed him to "some guys in Australia". What's left of TWR, I presume.

Have him email me, I think I still have the documentation set for it or can tell him where to get it. It is likely the custom Zytek engine management system is acting up - it's derived from the Zytek EMS used on the XJR racers and can be hard to find parts for. The regular troubleshooting steps don't always work. Hopefully it's just the crank position sensor - if it's the ECU, you either have to hunt down a used one (good luck, there's less than 100 of the cars left in the US), convert to a different EMS or call Zytek UK and be prepared to bend over.

Last edited:
Have him email me, I think I still have the documentation set for it or can tell him where to get it. It is likely the custom Zytek engine management system is acting up - it's derived from the Zytek EMS used on the XJR racers and can be hard to find parts for. The regular troubleshooting steps don't always work. Hopefully it's just the crank position sensor - if it's the ECU, you either have to hunt down a used one (good luck, there's less than 100 of the cars left in the US), convert to a different EMS or call Zytek UK and be prepared to bend over.
Yeah, I fear it is the EMS; he showed me a pic of the blue box while telling me how nobody has that parts number in any of their systems, not even Zytek. PM me your email address when you get a chance, I can't find it.

The Zytek ECU in the R-S doesn't have any part number that will ever cross reference to anything. They are literally custom spec jobs that were shipped to JaguarSport/TWR en (relative) masse - some went into XJR racers, some went into XJR-S production cars and Zytek has no idea which went where as TWR didn't tell them. Guys with retired F1 cars that had Zytek engine management have the same deal for the same reason. Porsche owners with race engines and some of the production 930 turbos are a little better off but not by a lot - their version was made in more numbers and is a standard model but they're getting just as badly boned for parts and servicing on them.

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS: Honduras has passed a law that allows imports of vehicles older than 25 years
BAD NEWS: To do so, you have to get approval by the Honduran association of classic and antique cars

I wonder what they will think about...say, a 1989 380SE with clearcoat all over it. Or a mint 1990 300CE.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have to wait 30 years... :(

As a few of the fellow DFW people can attest (and Thomas) my new Mustang has been making a sort of ticking/metallic clicking noise that comes from under the body of the car when running. It sounds like a small exhaust leak or something similar, it varies with RPM and load on the engine, isn't constant or always there. Today I obtained a jack and some stands and put the car up for a bit to crawl around and see what I could find. We were thinking perhaps some bolt or fastener has come loose and would just need tightened. I couldn't find anything while under there aside from a piece of heat shielding that seemed to be a bit rattly and close to the frame, I moved that a bit to not be in the position to do that, but it's still making the noise.

I'll probably have to get it on a proper lift for a better look, otherwise back to the dealer for them to deal with I guess.

I'm pleased to say that there's a Land Rover to suit every import law in the world without having to wait. :p