Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If the assholes want to continue being so, at least they can be punished monetarily, unlike now. They could also get noticed and potentially get forced to reverse the mods as well as fined for making them in the first place.
So far it looks just to be a monetary fine, meaning assholes who have the money can still do it. If they added fix it tickets and/or points then I can see it making more of an impact.

Let's face it it will more likely shift that behavior to "safer" roads. Just like I'm sure that majority of people on this board have roads that they use for "spirited" driving of the type they might not do on some other roads.

Yup. I expect a non-negligible number of coal rollers or potential coal rollers are cowardly enough to give up their habit soon as they hear the ban being actually enforced. So how about we take the scientific approach and let the trial run its course the way that paper did?

You are assuming 1: That there will be cops present when someone rolls coal and 2: That the cop will actually enforce this law and write a citation.

You are also assuming 3: That this law won't be abused. I can already think of a number of ways this could be mis-enforced.

Okay, laws are not perfect, get rid of them all.

A cop doesn't always have to be there. There are things called cameras that are with us all the time.

Like some laws are not currently abused now? There is always that danger, but we deal with that all the time.

A cop doesn't always have to be there. There are things called cameras that are with us all the time.

Like some laws are not currently abused now? There is always that danger, but we deal with that all the time.

Many laws should be dropped, yes.

You are assuming 1: That there will be cops present when someone rolls coal and 2: That the cop will actually enforce this law and write a citation.

You are also assuming 3: That this law won't be abused. I can already think of a number of ways this could be mis-enforced.

#2 is a good point. There is a reasonably large intersection between 'cop in an area where dickhead coal rollers reside' and 'being a dickhead who rolls coal in people's faces'.

The worst I can see for #3 is as pretense for fishing expedition stops against pickup trucks. And let's be honest here, they already have all the tools they need to do that whenever they want anyway. I am open to hearing about worse scenarios, though. I haven't given it too much thought beyond "Well, there's set of conditions where my disreputable diesel truck produces visible exhaust, so no net change for me"

Last edited:
#2 is a good point. There is a reasonably large intersection between 'cop in an area where dickhead coal rollers reside' and 'being a dickhead who rolls coal in people's faces'.

The worst I can see for #3 is as pretense for fishing expedition stops against pickup trucks. And let's be honest here, they already have all the tools they need to do that whenever they want anyway. I am open to hearing about worse scenarios, though. I haven't given it too much thought beyond "Well, there's set of conditions where my disreputable diesel truck produces visible exhaust, so no net change for me"

You know the steam that pours out of your exhaust when the vehicle is cold, the boiled condensate that forms in the exhaust? The way the law is written, just blipping your throttle when cold and someone's around could get you busted. It does not exempt condensate or steam. Since it's Maryland, Land Of Assholes, I'd fully expect to find the ticketbook jockeys camping parking lots in cold weather just because of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, so, you take your video of someone rolling coal to the cops.

The desk sergeant will look at you, roll his eyes and ask you to fill out some paperwork. He'll assure you that they'll get right on it. If you ask who will be assigned to the case, he'll tell you:

In other words, nothing will happen.

This would be much better dealt with by classing it as gross pollution and handing it off to the 'eco-cops,' which is what many states do. In Texas, you can report someone rolling coal as a "smoking vehicle" to the state. We used to have a rash of people in the DFW area that thought rolling coal was fun; the regional governments got together and came up with their own program that's cut way, way, way down on that.

The Regional Smoking Vehicle Program (RSVP) is designed to inform vehicle owners their vehicle may be creating excessive smoke and emitting pollutants, which are harmful to our health and environment. Driving a vehicle with excessive smoke in Texas is a violation of the state's Smoking Vehicle Statute. This statute defines a smoking vehicle as one which either emits smoke for ten or more consecutive seconds and/or whose suspended smoke does not fully dissipate within ten seconds. Texas law enforcement agencies may issue citations, punishable by fines up to $1,000, to drivers operating a smoking vehicle on any roadway.

No discrimination against normally operating diesels, enforcement against any idiot running stupid rich/rolling coal/running a 'smoke screen generator' (oil injection into engine) to get their gas engine to simulate rolling coal. It also applies to people rolling coal anywhere, not just onto persons or vehicles. Also, a nice big fine to encourage both compliance and enforcement. That's about four times the average speeding fine, by the way.

Last edited:
Cacti is stupid. I've only done about 1800 miles in 5 and a bit months, it's just a commuter.
I took it on a B-road blast. The gearbox is stupid, I turned the ESP off to try and give it a bootful... the ESP turned itself back on. <_<

You know the steam that pours out of your exhaust when the vehicle is cold, the boiled condensate that forms in the exhaust? The way the law is written, just blipping your throttle when cold and someone's around could get you busted. It does not exempt condensate or steam. Since it's Maryland, Land Of Assholes, I'd fully expect to find the ticketbook jockeys camping parking lots in cold weather just because of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, so, you take your video of someone rolling coal to the cops.

The desk sergeant will look at you, roll his eyes and ask you to fill out some paperwork. He'll assure you that they'll get right on it. If you ask who will be assigned to the case, he'll tell you:

In other words, nothing will happen.

This would be much better dealt with by classing it as gross pollution and handing it off to the 'eco-cops,' which is what many states do. In Texas, you can report someone rolling coal as a "smoking vehicle" to the state. We used to have a rash of people in the DFW area that thought rolling coal was fun; the regional governments got together and came up with their own program that's cut way, way, way down on that.

No discrimination against normally operating diesels, enforcement against any idiot running stupid rich/rolling coal/running a 'smoke screen generator' (oil injection into engine) to get their gas engine to simulate rolling coal. It also applies to people rolling coal anywhere, not just onto persons or vehicles. Also, a nice big fine to encourage both compliance and enforcement. That's about four times the average speeding fine, by the way.

Aside from horrific climate and religious fundamentalism TX sounds like an amazing place.

The tremendous amount of barbecue takes care of that.

I swear I gained 10 pounds when I was in Ft Worth for a three day conference. Really highlighted how poor Pittsburgh's barbecue choices are.

That's dangerous for me, while my barbecue choices are immense (cuz NYC) the prices here put at least some sort of a cap, with TX prices I would die of a heart attack in a week.

Cacti is stupid. I've only done about 1800 miles in 5 and a bit months, it's just a commuter.
I took it on a B-road blast. The gearbox is stupid, I turned the ESP off to try and give it a bootful... the ESP turned itself back on. <_<
Cacti is smart. It's not made for B road blasts.

You know you spend too much time wrenching when you read that they blocked off a street in your home town for an anti-terror operation because of a parked car with "a jerry can and lots of wiring visible inside" and the first thing you think is "I hope it's not my car".

I'm in Victoria all day with nothing to do, and I'm along the strip where all the dealers are.

What cars will Jim test drive today?

(Mustang or Corvette anything are NOT acceptable answers)

I'm in Victoria all day with nothing to do, and I'm along the strip where all the dealers are.

What cars will Jim test drive today?

(Mustang or Corvette anything are NOT acceptable answers)

Nissan Micra Nismo? :p

jk

I mean...Have you had a go on a Miata before? I feel that it could be interesting to see how it stacks up against your Boxster driving-wise

Or you could have a go in a Hellcat. Maybe something from the AMG catalog?

Gaasc and TC have already answered it Hellcat and Raptor

Guilia.