Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Ha! I just noticed my girlfriend's vw does this last week, and it drove me nuts.

I actually don't mind this. The VW method of having the whole volume/power knob turn is frustrating beccaise the power symbol is never perfectly vertical unless you solely use the steering wheel controls.

I know, right! :lol: I spent 2012 to early 2017 suffering.

And yes, that's a Volt. The UI looks different from the IntelliLink I have. I have the older 2.0 though. My car would've needed to be a 2015 with version 2.5 to support Carplay :(

Paint scratch before delivery, dammit.

I actually don't mind this. The VW method of having the whole volume/power knob turn is frustrating beccaise the power symbol is never perfectly vertical unless you solely use the steering wheel controls.

Why would you not use the steering wheel controls? :dunno:

And yes, that's a VBolt.

FTFY :tease:

Ha! I just noticed my girlfriend's vw does this last week, and it drove me nuts.

Which is so insanely stupid, because clearly the wheel is large enough to keep the button aligned, damn it! This is also why I use only the wheel controls and get a nervous twitch if a passenger decides to fiddle with my radio controls...

Why would you not use the steering wheel controls?

also this, I don't actually mind, as long as my passengers leave my shit alone. But on principle, it simply could've been done better!

Last edited:
Why does a volume knob even need a power symbol on it? Pushing it in has been the accepted method of turning on a car radio for probably two decades now. More if you count ones that had a click-off after the lowest volume.

Paint scratch before delivery, dammit.

Oh man that sux :(

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you not use the steering wheel controls? :dunno:

Not always convenient, example in the Mustang the controls are on the right side, I drive with my left on the wheel and my right on the arm rest next to the shifter, it's actually faster and easier for me to use the radio controls on the radio.

Why does a volume knob even need a power symbol on it? Pushing it in has been the accepted method of turning on a car radio for probably two decades now. More if you count ones that had a click-off after the lowest volume.
The two GM radios we have from the late '90s power is the detent of the volume knob turned all the way counter-clockwise.

So that you know it's the power button, and that if you're looking for the power button, you can stop looking here. An unlabeled button would be much less sensible.

It's not even a power button anymore. It just mutes the audio.

Practically-speaking, what's the difference (or is it just the fact that it's a power icon and not a mute icon on the button)?

Because it's still draining power and putting wear on the electronics, perhaps?

For sure. Why does the radio and amps need to be one for absolutely nothing other than because we can program shit however we please?

The VW radio on my Polo has auto-search on push, which is pretty handy. It's turned on/off by turning.

On Lucille's radio, button push changes the program on the 8-track.

I don't know why this bugs me.

I don't want to lose my clock, ambient temp, satnav etc just because I want the radio to be quiet.

The button does, however, turn the system on if the car itself is off.