Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just wanted to point out that the 5.6 we got in the US was a punched out, but watered down motor. The 5 liter V8 was better in every way (and made 315hp) and was featured in many a grey imports before Mercedes wanted our politicians to think of the children.

Yes, but the reason we got that motor was that the 5L Merc motor wouldn't meet our new car smog regulations; when it was retuned and equipped to do so, it lost more than a third of its horsepower and would not get the W126/C126 out of its own way in a manner befitting the marketing or price. Hence the displacement change in an effort to get power back up. If you ever have a chance to drive a gray market 500SEC with the piggyback fuel injection computer installed by the importer to get the car US emissions compliant, do it. If the box is still working, you're in for a surprise and a drive of misery. Which is why such boxes were often removed by their owners after the import procedure was done and only reinstalled for smog checks.

While the 5.0 certainly could have been better and it's certainly not my favorite classic American V8, it's not really fair or just to compare a USDM engine's power outputs to a Euro market's one. Even today, EU market motors that are retrofitted or otherwise made to be compliant with US pollution laws often lose power upon doing so- and some EU engines simply cannot be made compliant at all, not and still have market-viable power numbers anyway.

Last edited:
Just saw something interesting, a Chevy Tahoe with a cut out in the grill for some sort of a sensor (small black box with a wire) and manufacturer plates. Wonder what they could be testing in downtown Manhattan.

First full day of driving in Canada yesterday. At one point, the pick-up in front of me lost the metal rear hatch of its trailer. Luckily, I had kept quite some distance because overtaking is next to impossible anyway.
The deer around here are very relaxed when they cross the road. I didn't even see the one that crossed my way because it moved so slowly and blended into the forest background. Luckily, my passenger has had some negative experience with deer and therefore an eye for those animals.
Also, roads that seem to be the inspiration for some of the really old Need For Speed tracks. Including the fact that you could easily drive them with 250 kph plus because they are so wide and empty. How do you people stand the ridiculously low speed limits? And the "please carry your car around the corner" special limits (well, apparently nobody adheres to those anyway, I certainly didn't)?

Oh, and: Fuck double yellows... ;)

First full day of driving in Canada yesterday. At one point, the pick-up in front of me lost the metal rear hatch of its trailer. Luckily, I had kept quite some distance because overtaking is next to impossible anyway.
The deer around here are very relaxed when they cross the road. I didn't even see the one that crossed my way because it moved so slowly and blended into the forest background. Luckily, my passenger has had some negative experience with deer and therefore an eye for those animals.
Also, roads that seem to be the inspiration for some of the really old Need For Speed tracks. Including the fact that you could easily drive them with 250 kph plus because they are so wide and empty. How do you people stand the ridiculously low speed limits? And the "please carry your car around the corner" special limits (well, apparently nobody adheres to those anyway, I certainly didn't)?

The speed indications in corners (yellow signs) are purely informative, they are not speed limits.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm#traffic_signs

On many highways there are yellow curve signs with a speed limit on a small, square sign below the curve sign. I can drive a lot faster around the curve than the speed limit indicated on the sign ? why is that?

The criteria used to establish the curve advisory speed is long established. Although this basic procedure is used by highway agencies throughout North America, the result may be somewhat conservative for some modern automobiles, therefore the average driver will find themselves possibly driving through a curve at higher than the advisory speed, under ideal road conditions, without any discomfort. Curve testing is done with a standard passenger vehicle, therefore truck drivers may find the advisory speed more accurate as the higher centre of gravity results in more discomfort than a passenger vehicle while traveling through a curve.

Around here I usually use indicated speed x 2 - 10km/h as a general rule of thumb.

Last edited:

Once the tires start squeaking is when I know I'm going the right speed around the corner.

At least in the US with speed limits, hardly anyone follows them. Most of us understand they're ridiculous. If I'm in an unfamiliar town, I may do the limit. Otherwise I'm 5-10mph over. On the highway 75-80 is where I stick, unless there's traffic or know police presence. On multilane roads I make sure I'm not the fastest so that the guy who is gets caught.

Last edited:
Also, roads that seem to be the inspiration for some of the really old Need For Speed tracks. Including the fact that you could easily drive them with 250 kph plus because they are so wide and empty. How do you people stand the ridiculously low speed limits?

As others have mentioned, nobody pays attention to speed limits in North America unless it's a school zone or there are cops around. It is an admitted-by-engineers fact that most NA highway speed limits are set by convention or to generate revenue, not safety. This is why radar detectors are a popular vehicle accessory in the US and the parts of Canada where they are legal.

As a reminder for how it works in North America - this road is posted for 70mph. I'm doing 80mph on it for the purposes of the video. I'm getting passed by a significant percentage of traffic on the road.
[video=youtube;MLGPrWw-0ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGPrWw-0ds[/video]
That's how sacrosanct North American highway speed limits are when there's no cops around.

Last edited:
As a reminder for how it works in North America - this road is posted for 70mph. I'm doing 80mph on it for the purposes of the video. I'm getting passed by a significant percentage of traffic on the road.
[video=youtube;MLGPrWw-0ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGPrWw-0ds[/video]
That's how sacrosanct North American highway speed limits are when there's no cops around.

Was that on George Bush? It is even worse on the DNT around 121 on either side. I've cruised with the flow going ~85mph all-the-while being passed by multiple cars on the left. The only place where I've ever seen people do the opposite is in New Mexico where the locals apparently don't know you can actually get up to the numbers on the big white sign that says "Speed Limit". LOL

Just don't get me started on California... God it seems like all traffic laws are arbitrary there.

Was that on George Bush? It is even worse on the DNT around 121 on either side. I've cruised with the flow going ~85mph all-the-while being passed by multiple cars on the left. The only place where I've ever seen people do the opposite is in New Mexico where the locals apparently don't know you can actually get up to the numbers on the big white sign that says "Speed Limit". LOL

Just don't get me started on California... God it seems like all traffic laws are arbitrary there.

California traffic is a special kind of stupid. At least in Chicago, when it slows down, there's a reason (too many people on the damn road or a major highway merging onto another). LA and parts near SF do the accordion effect so often I want to strangle people.

Boise, ID to Twin Falls is the best because, you can do whatever you want and there's no one around that cares.

Last edited:
Boise, ID to Twin Falls is the best because, you can do whatever you want and there's no one around that cares.

Just crazy white supremacists?

All kidding aside, sometimes I long for moving somewhere that's more chill and away from all this crap we deal with in our metropolitan areas.

Huh.
I usually drive the speed limit, unless it's a road with absolutely no one near me it and I can see really far away, because there are so many fixed speed cameras and patrol cars with mobile cameras that it's not worth the risk.

In California, there's the posted limit and then there's the 85th percentile speed. On state or Federal highways in CA, tickets for speed below the 85th percentile on a given stretch of road are thrown out upon presenting the state traffic survey showing that speed, so cops usually don't write for it unless you look poor/stupid/like a tourist. Needless to say, the 85th percentile speed is usually considerably higher than the posted speed limit; this was CA's end run around the NMSL 55mph law and they never repealed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Was that on George Bush? It is even worse on the DNT around 121 on either side. I've cruised with the flow going ~85mph all-the-while being passed by multiple cars on the left.

If you're doing 85 through there you're going too slow. Get out of my (and everyone else's) way, please. The right lane is for you.

Yes, that was filmed on 190 westbound just past the DNT.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh.
I usually drive the speed limit, unless it's a road with absolutely no one near me it and I can see really far away, because there are so many fixed speed cameras and patrol cars with mobile cameras that it's not worth the risk.

Solution for similar problems up here, the Valentine One:

Drawv1.png

Used to have another tool that was almost as helpful, but since the advent of trunked police radio systems they don't work any more - the Uniden BearTracker BCT-10:

uniden-bearcat-bct-10.jpg

Last edited:

Because as I clearly demonstrated just a few months ago (on the same road you just did yesterday), we risk our licenses and huge fines otherwise. It's not like we agree to it. This is why whether or not my wife approves, I will be getting a laser detector for the holidays.

Glad to have lunch with you and your friend yesterday, and I hope the rest of your trip fulfills expectations.

Because as I clearly demonstrated just a few months ago (on the same road you just did yesterday), we risk our licenses and huge fines otherwise. It's not like we agree to it. This is why whether or not my wife approves, I will be getting a laser detector for the holidays.

Glad to have lunch with you and your friend yesterday, and I hope the rest of your trip fulfills expectations.

Are laser jammers legal in Canukistan? Might be a better investment as typically by the time you detect it your speed has been locked.

Thanks all for the info about the yellow signs. I misunderstood what I read before, then. :)

Also, today the Pacific Rim highway was on the menu. Now that was fun. :D

In California, there's the posted limit and then there's the 85th percentile speed. On state or Federal highways in CA, tickets for speed below the 85th percentile on a given stretch of road are thrown out upon presenting the state traffic survey showing that speed, so cops usually don't write for it unless you look poor/stupid/like a tourist. Needless to say, the 85th percentile speed is usually considerably higher than the posted speed limit; this was CA's end run around the NMSL 55mph law and they never repealed it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're doing 85 through there you're going too slow. Get out of my (and everyone else's) way, please. The right lane is for you.

Yes, that was filmed on 190 westbound just past the DNT.

- - - Updated - - -

Solution for similar problems up here, the Valentine One:

Drawv1.png

Used to have another tool that was almost as helpful, but since the advent of trunked police radio systems they don't work any more - the Uniden BearTracker BCT-10:

uniden-bearcat-bct-10.jpg

I drive in the middle lane now. I'm just tired of cruising in the left lane going 6-7 over and being tailgated. LOL :D

I drive in the middle lane now. I'm just tired of cruising in the left lane going 6-7 over and being tailgated. LOL :D

The left lane is for passing only. Stay out of it unless you are actually passing. If people are passing you on both sides, you need to move to the right lane and stay there...

If you were in the left lane doing 6-7 over you were definitely going too slow. People go 10-15 over posted there.

Last edited:
For those of you following the "Eyemwing considers buying a Tesla to supercede the BRZ" plot, the base Model 3 not getting the full range battery has basically killed that for now.

I'm likely wedded to Internal Combustion until I either move house (nigh impossible - selling a fixer upper property with extensive gearhead customization isn't going to fly in this market) or move jobs (I don't want to, and even then my commute wouldn't decrease in duration, just mileage, and maybe not even that).

Last edited:
I mean...it *is* getting the full range battery, just not in the first run of a few tens of thousands.

Are laser jammers legal in Canukistan? Might be a better investment as typically by the time you detect it your speed has been locked.
Detectors are legal in British Columbia. Jammers are not.

Fuckwads who FUCKING SLOW DOWN, GLACIALLY ACCELERATE, OR STOP at the end of a on ramp with a lengthy lead up to the merge point (on ramps that don't have stop signs at the end of them, which is a thing here as well) make me have "Alex Jones freakout" levels of road rage.

The kind where my voice grows guttural and grows hoarse from the screaming. Where my fists pound the steering wheel in a weird sort of "I'm choking the shit out of you" while I'm seeing shades of flashing red mist take over my vision.

The kind with language that would make my family wonder if i'm ok?

The kind where my goddamn temples throb because I'm that fucking seething with rage. Where I'm tempted to pass with a middle finger standing erect firmly in the offending driver's direction while laying on the horn.

It happened TWICE in one day, TWICE! I'm in a compact SUV that only had 190 hp WHEN NEW - there's no excuse why your 2016 whatever with 265 HP can't fucking match the speed of oncoming traffic and merge. none.

One incident proved that PA Subaru drivers fall into two camps - people who can drive (BRZ, WRX, mayyyybe Forester XT drivers) and people who shouldn't be allowed within 300 ft of a fucking car.

The latter are people who, instead of getting a licence renewal, should just be given a goddamn BUS PASS. But knowing them, they'd find some way to fuck that up and slow that down for everyone involved.

This is my trigger, a lot of the time, I'm calm.

Last edited: