Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Soooo apparently first generation CTS-Vs are selling for $10k or less. This is such a bad idea that it might be worth doing.
One of the things that give me pause is the foot operated parking brake next to the clutch pedal. That's a recipe for disaster.

One of the things that give me pause is the foot operated parking brake next to the clutch pedal. That's a recipe for disaster.
I thought it used a lever to the left of the steering wheel, not a foot pedal?

GTDI = Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection.

Looking through that deal, it's only for a vehicle that has an MSRP of $35,895 - which they only have one of in stock . The corporate Jag site lists the base XE MSRP as starting at $35,725, but when you try to build one, the cheapest you can get is $36,720, meaning you'd be getting the base of the base of the base. Also only 5,000 miles a year. And $4k down, which over a 36 month lease equates to $111/mo. So essentially you're paying $250 for 417 miles per month in a poverty spec Jaguar. Sounds like a really bad deal to me.

Though if I had to say something positive, at least they have the model in stock. Better than any of my experiences where the dealers don't stock the model they advertise. Or did stock it, but didn't bother updating their websites after selling it off.

Something that greatly amuses me is their current national lease specials on the XE, visible here: https://www.jaguarusa.com/current-offers/xe-offers.html

While I know it's not uncommon for higher line models to have lower lease rates due to anticipated residual values, this is pretty amusing. I think they're anticipating a much higher residual than most actuaries are expecting... or they're starting to get rather desperate.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope.

s-l1600.jpg

I think that's the parking brake release; Richard Hammond complained about it on TG.

So... today I had the somewhat dubious pleasure of driving this thing.
VSrRMYb.jpg

1988 Ford F-150 with an I6 engine and manual transmission.
1st gear was useless, started it in 2nd gear as it was better, and still, i'd sometimes end up with wheelspin and the back end hopping. Not a fan. :p

I really miss RWD in the winter, it's so much more predictable than FWD. I put snow tires on my cars so I doubt it would be a huge issue - I drove my Miata through five winters.

Miata is significantly less torquey though, one of my co-workers owns a modular S197 Mustang and she said she had traction problems with snow tires. Though I suspect dropping some sandbags in the trunk would fix that ;)

Last edited:
So... today I had the somewhat dubious pleasure of driving this thing.
VSrRMYb.jpg

1988 Ford F-150 with an I6 engine and manual transmission.
1st gear was useless, started it in 2nd gear as it was better, and still, i'd sometimes end up with wheelspin and the back end hopping. Not a fan. :p

Sounds like someone ordered it/modified it with the granny gear trans and short rear gears. Was it the four speed?

Caption competition! Saw these two arriving at a car show earlier via the wrong car park, didn't see the expressions on their faces until I reviewed the photos. :lol:

DSC_0185_P_S1024.jpg

So...the bunch of people who I've asked to let me know if they come up with interesting cars has come up with this

pPGzyec.jpg

sN7JQ6k.jpgo

HEGUo3o.jpg

apWMXdQ.jpg

kDU12oi.jpg

It's a 197X impala they are asking a pittance for. The body is solid and the engine is all there, even if it hasn't turned since Bush II's first term. The owner is an elderly doctor who parked it. He's pushing 77 and has gone through brain surgery so he wants rid of it now and does not have specific details on a lot of info. The registration checks out but seems very iffy on the year, calling it a '72. Is there anything I should look out for before I buy a strange dusty car that hasn't run in over a decade?

Edit: Yes, the pictures are shite. It seems the dude moonlights as a real estate photographer :p

EDIT2: Now you can actually see the shite pics.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone ordered it/modified it with the granny gear trans and short rear gears. Was it the four speed?

Yeah, 4 speed.

I'm willing to bet that Crap-ice is at least an '81.

It's a Failpala!! Or not, at least this one sends power to the right wheels. :p

Yeah, it seems Hondurans suck at registrations...or it was imported Crushed Defender style.

EDIT: Added engine pic to my original post....it certainly looks...like an engine.

Last edited:
Miata is significantly less torquey though, one of my co-workers owns a modular S197 Mustang and she said she had traction problems with snow tires. Though I suspect dropping some sandbags in the trunk would fix that ;)
Why drop sandbags in the trunk when you can drop the entire drivetrain in there?
worklot.jpg

Yeah, it seems Hondurans suck at registrations...or it was imported Crushed Defender style.

EDIT: Added engine pic to my original post....it certainly looks...like an engine.

Could be late 70s or 80s. Either way, it'll be slow as frozen molasses on an incline but, it'll be sufficient. If you're serious, check trans fluid and coolant colors. Drain engine oil, coolant(refill, you'll have to "burp" the system), and transmission. Replace all filters before turning it over.

I fear your recent interest in Challengers may soon be ending, then...

1979 Impala, or so my few remaining functioning brain cells say... :rolleyes:

Edit: Look at the 6th digit of the VIN - should be located between two alpha characters - that number is the last digit of the model year.
For example, the 6th digit would be "9" for a 1979 Chevrolet.
If the VIN is 17 digits instead of 13, the car is a 1981 or later.

SL

Last edited:
Why drop sandbags in the trunk when you can drop the entire drivetrain in there?
worklot.jpg

Where would he put his hairdressing equipment and supplies then? :mrgreen: 1.9 cubic feet is less than I can carry on my motorcycle. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Could be late 70s or 80s. Either way, it'll be slow as frozen molasses on an incline but, it'll be sufficient. If you're serious, check trans fluid and coolant colors. Drain engine oil, coolant(refill, you'll have to "burp" the system), and transmission. Replace all filters before turning it over.

Before you do any of that, take the plugs out, hose the cylinders down with penetrating oil and let them sit for at least an hour or so, then try to turn the engine over by hand with a socket and breaker bar to see if the engine is still free. You want to spin it over several times to get the oil to spray out the empty spark plug holes to prevent potential hydro-lock. The purpose of this is to see if the engine is still free without the high potential of breaking rings either on initial movement or as they move up the bores. You would ideally do this while evaluating the car prior to purchase.

Last edited:
Before you do any of that, take the plugs out, hose the cylinders down with penetrating oil and let them sit for at least an hour or so, then try to turn the engine over by hand with a socket and breaker bar to see if the engine is still free. You want to spin it over several times to get the oil to spray out the empty spark plug holes to prevent potential hydro-lock. The purpose of this is to see if the engine is still free without the high potential of breaking rings either on initial movement or as they move up the bores. You would ideally do this while evaluating the car prior to purchase.

That is the plan...should I find a space about 5.3 meters long and I get the all clear.

Is there anything else I should look out for? B-Bodies should be pretty solid but this looks to be an early model and I am not quite sure what to look for. For the record, the entire body seems solid, as does the interior. The engine is more complete than on my previous two cars(ie. it hasn't thoroughly raped by mechanics that deem sensors to be essentially useless.) I am rationalizing it on the fact that, even with getting it back to run, painting it and detailing back to respectability, it will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than importing a panther. And I could then Megasquirt it for economy...provided I decipher the guides on how to do that.

Last edited: