Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

EyeMWing

Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
One of the coworkers (and the main one trying to convince me to go subaru) drives a yellow/silver Baja with a stick.
I suspect I met this guy once. There can't be many 5spd yellow/silver bajas around here.

Was helping someone move. He showed up with his Baja and parked it next to the Ram+trailer combo and was all "I HAVE A TRUCK TOO!"

I think he ended up with a couple empty dresser drawers.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Infiniti M30 - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Damned if I can find the photo, but I remember that Car and Driver let John Phillips review the Baja. In the magazine there was a photo of him and someone else sitting at a table having a meal while the Baja was driven (at low speed I'm sure). That will forever be burned in my mind...

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
After determining that only early ZJ's had the XJ's uber reliable AW4 autobox before getting shitty Chrysler ones, I guess that's out unless I find a nice early one.

So I'm essentially back to the XJ. Which considering I've lived without a sunroof before, I can again. I guess the Pathfinder would work.

if only ecoboost flex's were dirt cheap haha...

I suspect I met this guy once. There can't be many 5spd yellow/silver bajas around here.

Was helping someone move. He showed up with his Baja and parked it next to the Ram+trailer combo and was all "I HAVE A TRUCK TOO!"

I think he ended up with a couple empty dresser drawers.
This is a woman...maybe you met her husband though? :p

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
And I suppose something like a 9C1 GMT900 is out of the question?

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
Hm...if old escapes didn't have such crummy reliability.A Modular-powered explorer/mountaineer could do you in a pinch. After that it is mostly the Wrangler if you want a new car, the XJ if you want an old one, and Subarus if you want your smug coworkers going "i told you so" now until the end of time.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Hm...if old escapes didn't have such crummy reliability.A Modular-powered explorer/mountaineer could do you in a pinch. After that it is mostly the Wrangler if you want a new car, the XJ if you want an old one, and Subarus if you want your smug coworkers going "i told you so" now until the end of time.
2nd gen Sportages could work - dunno if luck was on my parents side but their 05 LX V6 AWD was, like the XG350, dead reliable at trade in time. Contemporary reviews were favorable too:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/kia-sportage-ex-4wd-road-test

Still, I think the choice is very boxy and very clear, a newer XJ is probably what I'm looking at. Here's hoping I can be completely car swapped by November 18th.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Explorers and the cousin didn?t have a modular. Engine was still the 5.0 or 4.0l V6. Both are reliable. If it weren?t for the cash for clunkers, there?d be a ton more around. The Firestone tire issue (actually fords problem, their spec for tire pressure was too low, ride quality over safety.) didn?t really take all that many off the road.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Explorers and the cousin didn?t have a modular. Engine was still the 5.0 or 4.0l V6. Both are reliable. If it weren?t for the cash for clunkers, there?d be a ton more around. The Firestone tire issue (actually fords problem, their spec for tire pressure was too low, ride quality over safety.) didn?t really take all that many off the road.
Explorers were OK, Escapes sucked

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
First or second gen Rav4? Many of those last for a billion miles. Come had sunroofs. Some had manuals.

ScarFace88

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'00 CVPI, '88 Integra, '05 GTO
3rd and 4th gen Explorers had 4.6s.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
After determining that only early ZJ's had the XJ's uber reliable AW4 autobox before getting shitty Chrysler ones, I guess that's out unless I find a nice early one.

So I'm essentially back to the XJ. Which considering I've lived without a sunroof before, I can again. I guess the Pathfinder would work.
You don't want a 4.0 in a ZJ or WJ anyway, too much mass for that motor; they can barely get out of their own way. The most reliable combo is the '93-'95 ZJ with the 5.2L and 46RH transmission.

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
It happens.

an '06-'10 with the 4.6 and the Six-Speed should be good enough for rick. Good, sturdy vehicle with a frame and reliable oily bits.

EyeMWing

Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
It happens.

an '06-'10 with the 4.6 and the Six-Speed should be good enough for rick. Good, sturdy vehicle with a frame and reliable oily bits.
... Is that a configuration that exists?

Because if it does, I need it.

Edit: Oh. Six speed AUTOMATIC. It's dead to me.

Last edited: