Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Redliner;n3545318 said:
Not only that, but a rare-ish sportscar with a reputation for reliability and you've got a recipe for stupid prices.

It's also almost in a class by itself, it's very light for what it is and with an engine that revs almost like a race car.

prizrak;n3545322 said:
It's also almost in a class by itself, it's very light for what it is and with an engine that revs almost like a race car.

Yeah, in the 2800 lb range, the only other competition was the Porsche Boxster (and no, Solstice/Sky people, you really don't count), and I bet the S2000 is holding its value better.

prizrak;n3545322 said:

00z0z_lKHwrWxpoYn_1200x900.jpg

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2006-lotus-elise-for-sale/6472030071.html

Redliner;n3545338 said:
Yeah, I realized that some time ago. :lol:

Altough, I'd argue the S2000 is more reliable, but yes, I'd rather get an Elise/Exige.

i'd rake an S2000 instead because they are infinitely more reliable.

You guys do remember that the early S2000 (which is most of the ones that sold here) had some pretty ugly problems with the rear differential and more than a few had engine issues, right? And that the US version of the Elise came not with the craptacular Rover K-series engine but the Toyota 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-GE engine and transmission out of a Celica or Corolla? Those engines weren't perfect but they didn't have that many problems.

Having friends that had S2000s, I would say the real world reliability isn't a whole lot different between the US market Elise and the early S2000. Which should really have been called the CBR2000RR. :p

Last edited:
Elise/S2000? I’m really not a fan of either car, but I’d take the S2000 and pay boot to keep from being stuck with an Elise.

The Elise is classic Lotus… small, cramped, EXCEEDINGLY difficult to get in and out of, with next-to-zero luggage space and a body that you can crack by looking at it the wrong way. My buddy Bill bought one of these the year they came out and still has it. It spends most of its time in his garage. He offered it to me one weekend to autocross, and I was very disappointed with the handling. I still can’t figure out how Lotus got it to understeer at the limit, but it does – I took out 2 outside pylons on a wide, decreasing-radius right sweeper. About a year into his ownership, he asked me what I honestly thought about the car. I told him that I was really glad that he bought the damned thing instead of me.

All that said, the Elise has to be the biggest chick-magnet I’ve ever encountered. I’ve got several funny stories about that, but suffice it to say that women, in general, think it’s gorgeous. One other amusing thing about the Elise is that there’s a storage compartment behind the engine that might hold a small briefcase if you didn’t have too many papers in it. There IS, however, an ‘escape pull’ in case someone ever gets trapped in there!

On the Honda side, I’ve had two friends with S2000s. Although they’re small; they’re real, usable cars. Aside from some early problems, they’re generally trouble-free and handle great. You can flog the pee-diddle out of them and the chassis will always tell you when you’re near the limit. The trunk is small, but you can actually pack a weekend’s worth of soft luggage in there. You can also add a luggage rack, something not that easily done with the Lotus… a Lotus luggage rack will set you back about $600 for the ugliest pile of tubing you’ve probably ever seen – with two suction cups to hold the back ‘legs’. There are also roof-racks, but I’m not even going there!

Redliner;n3545318 said:
Not only that, but a rare-ish sportscar with a reputation for reliability and you've got a recipe for stupid prices.

... Mustangs? Though, that could be the amount that are made that saturate the market driving prices down.

93Flareside;n3545365 said:
... Mustangs? Though, that could be the amount that are made that saturate the market driving prices down.

Mustangs aren’t rare, though Boss and GT500 tend to hold their values

SquareLeft;n3545354 said:
All that said, the Elise has to be the biggest chick-magnet I’ve ever encountered. I’ve got several funny stories about that, but suffice it to say that women, in general, think it’s gorgeous.

I am surprised, although that might be a case of the "Miata effect". It looks cute and harmeless, instead of GRRRR I AM A ANGRY MAN! TESTOSTERONE!

93Flareside;n3545365 said:

That's why I wrote "rare-ish". Mustangs are nothing but rare, with a few exceptions, like the ones prizrak pointed out.

Last edited:
Redliner;n3545384 said:
I am surprised, although that might be a case of the "Miata effect". It looks cute and harmeless, instead of GRRRR I AM A ANGRY MAN! TESTOSTERONE!

It looks exotic, non aggressive and very different from the usual so it makes sense. Also in general girls seem to like smaller cars, also because of being midship it doesn't have typical penis extension hood spots cars tend to have. (Yes I am fully of the irony)

All the Elise talk and nobody posted these?

GRtak;n3545391 said:
All the Elise talk and nobody posted these?

I already watch those on a monthly basis. :p

GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

No, I attached a photo of a bright green VW Scirocco.

Are you color blind? :p :tease:

.... why?