Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
20,128
Location
Hot Dog with Everything
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Got the intake leak fixed on the mustang. Was not expecting it to snow yesterday. The mustang has its summer tires on. I had no problems until I got onto my street which was the only stretch of pavement with snow besides my driveway. I had zero traction. Like, nothing. I’m not stupid, I fully knew what could’ve happened. I kept my distance and drove gingerly. Next time I get the call, I won’t be so eager to go pick up a summer tired car in the winter. We had a break in weather and figured I’d get it done now.
 

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
13,955
Location
Boston, MA, USA
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR, #Saab #9-3
I got quite uncreative in picking a replacement for the 9000. PYC thread coming soon.
 

Spectre

The Deported
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
36,871
Location
Dallas, Texas
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Labcoatguy;n3546336 said:
I got quite uncreative in picking a replacement for the 9000. PYC thread coming soon.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/l\/la\/labcoatguy\/2018\/02\/19\/9-3_shifter.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Well, that's disappointing. :p And lends credence to the theory that Saab ownership is not unlike Stockholm Syndrome after a while.
 
Last edited:

prizrak

Forum Addict
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
21,601
Location
No, sleep, till, BROOKLYN
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
93Flareside;n3546335 said:
Got the intake leak fixed on the mustang. Was not expecting it to snow yesterday. The mustang has its summer tires on. I had no problems until I got onto my street which was the only stretch of pavement with snow besides my driveway. I had zero traction. Like, nothing. I’m not stupid, I fully knew what could’ve happened. I kept my distance and drove gingerly. Next time I get the call, I won’t be so eager to go pick up a summer tired car in the winter. We had a break in weather and figured I’d get it done now.

Dump the summers bruh, I couldn't be happier with my Michellin Pilot A/S set, I don't find them to have any less traction in the dry than the summers and they are better in the wet. Can't say anything about snow though I don't typically take it out in snow.
 

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
17,452
Location
Motor City, Michigan
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Saw my first Demon on public roads.... 2 days ago. 25 degrees and on drag radials. Seems reasonable.
 

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
20,128
Location
Hot Dog with Everything
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
prizrak;n3546361 said:
Dump the summers bruh, I couldn't be happier with my Michellin Pilot A/S set, I don't find them to have any less traction in the dry than the summers and they are better in the wet. Can't say anything about snow though I don't typically take it out in snow.

I don’t usually take the mustang out in winter weather, especially when there’s snow on the ground or wet salty shit. This was a special occasion because I wanted the intake fixed now and not during the warmer weather. Plus, I want to sell a working automobile.
 

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
20,128
Location
Hot Dog with Everything
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Its happening...

the seats, the steering feel, the acceleration, the turbo lag! I must have.

theres a factory warranty that’s still left and a CPO warranty on top of that. It’ll last the entirity of my financing term.
 

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
5,553
Location
Lüneburg
Car(s)
'89 C4
Don't become a GTI boy, flareside.
 

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
9,171
Location
Honduras
Car(s)
3 of them
93Flareside;n3546651 said:
Its happening...

the seats, the steering feel, the acceleration, the turbo lag! I must have.

theres a factory warranty that’s still left and a CPO warranty on top of that. It’ll last the entirity of my financing term.

 

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
20,128
Location
Hot Dog with Everything
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Mitchi;n3546657 said:
Don't become a GTI boy, flareside.

Fan boy? I didn’t become a mustang fan boy.

when I got the mustang and was looking back then, I felt like people around me wanted the car more than I did. It’s still true today. My family for starters, get all uppity when I even mentioned I was looking at replacing it back in October. Now that I’ve needed to put in some pricey and involved repairs, it’s not ending. EGR is currently acting up after the intake was just replaced and there’s a rotating roar/groaning noise somewhere up front. Last year the pinion seal was replaced as well as the oil pan gasket. I encountered the idle air sensor issue a couple times but, it went away and hasn’t come back in 3 years. I’ve only kept it this long because I feel like I have to. I’m so sick of the wind noise, crappy stereo, the creaks, and repairs. Top has been replaced and I’ve needed to do the window seals since I bought it years back but, I’ve put it off.

i tried test driving a focus and dealer flat out refused. I’ve driven autos before and, the interior just isn’t something I could see myself living with. Coupled with the fact that some duntz thought it was a good idea to put the power outlet by the parking brake.

I drove it Friday, didn’t see anything funky, and all body panels match. I’ve given myself time to think it over to make sure I’m not jumping the gun I was out with my sister on Saturday and, I did have to time to go back to the dealer but, I didn’t. I don’t want to have the same feeling I did with the mustang. Last summer, I drove the wagon way more than the mustang. I don’t love it anymore.
 
Last edited:

prizrak

Forum Addict
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
21,601
Location
No, sleep, till, BROOKLYN
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
93Flareside;n3546661 said:
when I got the mustang and was looking back then, I felt like people around me wanted the car more than I did.
It's funny that I also feel like that sometimes, especially when I get random compliments and especially all the posts on Mustang themed FB groups. I certainly think it's cool car and I enjoy driving it quite a bit but to me it's a fairly regular car not something special like an exotic.
 

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
9,171
Location
Honduras
Car(s)
3 of them
I refer you to my last post.
 

prizrak

Forum Addict
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
21,601
Location
No, sleep, till, BROOKLYN
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
If you want it go for it but I do want to point out that the general VAG experience of our US members has not been good (mine included). Also keep in mind that they don't keep their value well so you might end up upside down.
 

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
23,086
Location
Utah, Banana Republic
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
I wouldn't buy a VAG product with stolen credit.
 

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
20,128
Location
Hot Dog with Everything
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
prizrak;n3546694 said:
If you want it go for it but I do want to point out that the general VAG experience of our US members has not been good (mine included). Also keep in mind that they don't keep their value well so you might end up upside down.

I financed a 2004 Mustang in 2013 with 16% APR...
 
Top