Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Don't see anything wrong with it, mileage is a bit high but AFAIK Vettes don't have too many issues though stuff like suspension, bushings, bearings, etc.. may need replacing soonish.

prizrak;n3549701 said:
Don't see anything wrong with it
it will need the BCM (body control module) looked at. Currently, it shuts off occasionally when it starts to roll.

Not sure how accessible this box is and if it's readily available.

Labcoatguy;n3549707 said:
Not sure how accessible this box is and if it's readily available.

Well reading would have helped... Likely would need a new BCM really though shutting off the engine likely has more to do with Cam/Crank sensor than BCM. BCM is shit like HVAC.

BerserkerCatSplat;n3549724 said:
Early 2000s GM with security system problems... I'd see how hard it is to bypass before buying!

As a plus, if it's easy to bypass you can skip the last part.

Ford actually already integrated Waze into Sync via Applink. I spent a long time playing with it on a business trip a few weeks ago..... It was lackluster and disappointing. Something tells me Waze via Carplay will work quite a bit better than Waze via Ford (Applink).

Blind_Io;n3549839 said:
Not at all, because pop-up headlights make any purchase okay.

AMEN

Can anyone recommend any rubber seal dressing products? I want to treat the roof and door seals on the Smart at every opportunity to keep them in good condition. I would like to use AMMO Mud but it's expensive to import. Auto Glym make a dressing product and it's easy to get hold of but I'm interested in alternatives first. :)

I used 303 Aerospace Protectant all over the roof and seals of my old MR2 Spyder and it worked great; it looks like it's available in the UK.

Labcoatguy;n3549972 said:
I used 303 Aerospace Protectant all over the roof and seals of my old MR2 Spyder and it worked great; it looks like it's available in the UK.

Do you happen to remember which particular one? I’ve found about four different 303 UV sprays on Amazon all with different numbers. One is specifically automotive, I’d guess it’s that one.

Not heard of talcum powder being used, I’d question the protection it offers.

Last edited:
Matt2000;n3549976 said:
Do you happen to remember which particular one? I’ve found about four different 303 UV sprays on Amazon all with different numbers. One is specifically automotive, I’d guess it’s that one.

I used the 30306 spray bottle; any of them that's called "aerospace protectant" should be the same, and I presume somewhat heavier duty than the standard "automotive" line.

Labcoatguy;n3549980 said:
I used the 30306 spray bottle; any of them that's called "aerospace protectant" should be the same, and I presume somewhat heavier duty than the standard "automotive" line.

Thanks, I apparently found the right product on Amazon but the smaller size. Their product numbering doesn't follow any logic either. It looks like good stuff.

When I saw Ford announced Need for Green as a color on the 2019 Mustangs I was super excited. Then I saw the pictures and did some talking with an informed person and found out it was a sort of dull matte green, not a nice metallic one, and I was sad because I want my greens to be super bright and obnoxious. While I anticipate the hilarity that will ensure with people doing greenscreen effects on videos of this new color, it doesn't give me the fizz.

But now that sadness has gone away and been replaced with fury. An Orange Fury, one might say. I think I'll be placated now. At least until I find a suitable eye-searing metallic lime green vinyl...