So long, and thanks for all the fish
- Mar 6, 2005
- Motor City, Michigan
- 13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I think you guys missed the follow up Mythbusters that showed a cargo net was the best for fuel economy.
I have also seen that manufacturers have experimented with what is a rather large spoiler that folds down, similar to the one CrzRsn posted that is integrated with the tailgate.
Gave it some more thought, and I can see it being true for some those early 90s boxy pickups where aero was not even a consideration for the design teams. Modern trucks are so finely tuned to guide air over the bed as best as possible - from contours of the roofline at the back to the cab to the thickness and slope of the top surface of the tailgate - that there's no way a cargo net will be better.IIRC, this was later walked back as an instrumentation failure.
Speaking of tailgates, GMC has been advertising the hell out of their latest origami design. I can’t help but look at that as a worthless add on that costs $2k to replace when it has something dropped on it or the owner gets hit.
I was reminded that this was a thing on cars at one point in time. I don;t think I have ever seen a car that actually had that option though.
I wonder if it worked at all.
Rally start in 33 hours.
- Car... Uh, well, the guys who were building it managed to break the parts car windshield, but they say they have one lined up tomorrow morning and will drop it in, slam it in the trailer and go. And they're an 8 hour drive from the start line.
- License plate and insurance... They exist.
- Getting to the starting line... Uh, well, my ride backed out, so I'm trying to arrange alternatives.
- Packing... I've decided i'll be going with "racing onesie" as cold weather gear because it's thematically appropriate and, honestly, the most insulative piece of clothing I own. Also, a helmet, because this stupid thing has a cage and braining myself on it is not the best idea. Contemplating a HANS because why the hell not.
- Tools... $35 Harbor Freight toolset procured.
- Sanity... Missing.
- Girlfriend... Convinced I'm about to die.