Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Thanks! Already done in the FordPass app thingy that comes with it :p

Yep, any ideas if they’re good tires?

They’re ok. Noisy, but ok. These are used on Hertz rental cars, I had to 2 fords from Frankfurt airport with them. They can withstand 210km/h. I had them on an S-Max in the alps and they had plenty of grip Until about day 7 of spirited alp driving. :D

Oh, for fuck's sake! Yesterday I learned that Cadillac is changing it's naming scheme, dropping the alphanumeric soup that is a bit confusing. Instead they are going to have all the names end with "iq" and pronounce it as "ick". WTAF???

First to get this will be an EV called Lyriq...

Then I just learned that the new company name for the merging of FCA and Peugeot SA will be STELLANTIS. This sounds like a pharmaceutical that will have a litany of side effects, not a car company!

Is there something in the water in Detroit, or where they sampling to many edibles? I don't care which one it is, but this has to stop!

Did the hire the guy that completely fucked up Infiniti's naming system?!

Did the hire the guy that completely fucked up Infiniti's naming system?!

Wasnt that guy at Cadillac and then moved to Infiniti?

Johan de Nysschen. He works as COO of VW now.

As for Stellantis, it's perfect naming actually. With electrification and autonomous driving, what else would you call a company soon to be selling french, plastic, soulless automatons? :p

Friend of mine got taken for a rather heinous ride by both her boyfriend and a car dealership.

His credit sucks, so he wanted her to help him finance a car.
He would not budget on what he wanted: He wanted a WRX. A manual WRX.

He's never driven stick before. I advised against this. Buy some $1000 shitbox first and learn for a few months. But no. Absolutely unacceptable. He wants what he wants.

So, TLDR, his credit is too bad for them to do it jointly. So, $32000 and an 82 month loan at 8% interest (JESUS FUCKING CHRIST) later, she solely owns a WRX that he will drive. She can't drive it. Like, physically. The seating position doesn't work for her and she can't get full clutch travel.

5 days later, guess what? He's decided he can't drive stick. Trade-in value on the car is now $22k.

Buy it from her, recommend boring reliable cheap shitbox, and provide unsolicited but much needed relationship advice.

Also, I am on a 3-year loan and I already feel like it's too fucking much. But then again, I was raised by accountants.

Buy it from her, recommend boring reliable cheap shitbox, and provide unsolicited but much needed relationship advice.

Also, I am on a 3-year loan and I already feel like it's too fucking much. But then again, I was raised by accountants.
I'm not even sure *I* could get a loan for a (now-used) $32k WRX, even with triple digit miles on the clock.

Buy the girlfriend an adapter for the seat, teach her how to drive a stick, she drives the car, he pays for it, problem solved.

Buy the girlfriend an adapter for the seat, teach her how to drive a stick, she drives the car, he pays for it, problem solved.
His daily commute would obliterate the mileage on her lease in very short order.

If I tried to come up with a more collossally fucked set of circumstances, I don't think I could.

...He could've wanted an S-Class...

...He could've wanted an S-Class...
They wouldn't have sold her an S-class.

Well, actually, it COULD be slightly more fucked.

He actually wanted an STI. Neither the combination of them nor either of them individually can afford an STI. The first dealer they were at was entirely happy to commit finance fraud and doctor her income to close the juicy sale.

The bank noticed the numbers on her pay stub didn't even remotely match the paperwork.

Dealer's solution was to double-down on the fraud and asked her to print modified pay stubs.

I convinced her this was illegal as fuck and she should walk the fuck away from that dealer and never go back.

.... Oh, and I guess I should mention this here. I am divesting from virtually all of my project cars by virtue of receiving a code enforcement notice telling me to do it or go to jail.

Apparently on 7/1, a new ordinance went into effect banning the outdoor storage of unregistered and/or inoperative vehicles.

Almost all of it is going to scrap because the timeframe I have to work with is very, very short.

Incidentally, any of ya'll wanna buy a beater BRZ with a zillion miles?

No, but do you still have the SHO? Whats up with that?