Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Fewer things than usual
Getting a car loan from my credit union for a new or used car at a dealership, pre-Covid:
Walk in without an appointment, walk out 30 minutes later with a cashier's check.

Getting a car loan from my credit union for a used car, private party sale during Covid:
2 weeks so far. Gonna be at least 3. Maybe 4.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Trying to diagnose a problem with Gena's 2010 Nissan Altima. She's complaining of a "pop" from the front suspension. I've only been witness to it once, so I can't quite pinpoint it. I even jacked it up today and gave everything a jostle, no play that I can find.

Something I read said it might be the struts, which is certainly possible with nearly 140k miles (~225k kilometers).

Any ideas?

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Ball joints didn't have any play that I could feel, that was my first thought too. Tie rods are pretty solid as well. Perhaps the right thing to do is replace the series as preventive maintenance and inspect things closely while doing so.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
I'll double check them. I grabbed them and gave them a yank and didn't feel any excessive play.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Stupid question, exhaust is tight? The Mercury has a bad exhaust bracket because I added one to make sure it doesn’t touch the driveshaft that its a finger width from has broke partially. I thought it was from the rear window hardly in any track to keep it straight. I only heard the noise with the window down. If it’s factory mounts, disregard. what was weird was hearing a friends second gen Neon making an identical noise. Think the sound you hear late at night shitting and the flaps on your bathroom fan flap in the wind. That metallic noise down a pipe.

I only remember my parents having a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager van that had a weird noise in the front when you went over small bumps. People said it was related to the struts, but as a kid/early teen, I knew nothing about cars. Hell, I thought El Caminos, broncos and explorers were the shit. :)

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
I'll be the honest, the noise from the car doesn't bother me too much. It's the noise coming from Gena that has me motivated to fix it. 😬

I'll get the SVO out of the garage in the next week, put the Altima up in the air (I wish I had a lift) and jiggle everything.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I'll be the honest, the noise from the car doesn't bother me too much. It's the noise coming from Gena that has me motivated to fix it. 😬

I'll get the SVO out of the garage in the next week, put the Altima up in the air (I wish I had a lift) and jiggle everything.
I won’t tell her if you don’t. ;)

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Not exactly what I meant, but I'll go with it.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I counted probably three brand new Corollas, the brand new model that's just coming into dealerships now, without taillights in the pouring rain.

Clearly it's still too difficult for Toyota to fit automatic headlights on a 2020 car... and too difficult for Toyota buyers to learn how a light switch works. It's almost always a Toyota.

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
I counted probably three brand new Corollas, the brand new model that's just coming into dealerships now, without taillights in the pouring rain.

Clearly it's still too difficult for Toyota to fit automatic headlights on a 2020 car... and too difficult for Toyota buyers to learn how a light switch works. It's almost always a Toyota.
I'm pretty sure they do have automatic lights, they are just too stupid to use them.

It as been an issue around here with Toyotas for at least 10 or maybe even 15 years.

Combination of DRL and always ON dash lighting means obliviot drivers have no clue they have their lights set to OFF.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I'm pretty sure they do have automatic lights, they are just too stupid to use them.

It as been an issue around here with Toyotas for at least 10 or maybe even 15 years.

Combination of DRL and always ON dash lighting means obliviot drivers have no clue they have their lights set to OFF.
DRL is a new thing in Europe, "new" as in a decade or so, and that's apparently not enough for the average driver to learn. Before the 2010's everyone drove with their normal headlights on and they were usually wired/programmed to come on with the ignition. Then we got EU-wide rules which meant front DRLs only until you turn the actual headlights on, and it's too much to ask of the average driver to learn a new habit.

Automatic lights that come on when it gets dark enough (or with the wipers) are usually a part of some option package one tier or two above poverty spec but it seems most Toyotas lack the feature. Even expensive landcruisers can be seen trundling along in the dark without proper lights on.