Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
Then what is the Grand Cherokee? Cherokee? Compass? Renegade?
Volume? Things that regular people actually buy? I wonder if what we're seeing here is the reverse is "gearheads absolutely love it...watch it flop."

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Solid axels are terrible on road. My old Discovery had front and read solids and if I hit a pot hole at speed it jumped around.

If Jeep made dedicated off-roaders only, the hardcore off-roaders would be the only who love them. Unfortunately, hardcore off-roaders mostly buy used, are small in number, and appealing to only them would cause Jeep to go under.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
Hardcore off-roaders will be content buying Jeep XJs and Toyota Tacos until the supply runs out.

When that happens there will be a true crisis.

I'm not even sure you could make a solid axle 4x4 SUV and be compliant to modern standards now that they're classed as passenger vehicles instead of trucks. A bigass front axle means the engine has to sit up high which means your hood has to be high which means your nose needs to be square which means it kills pedestrians.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Hardcore off-roaders will be content buying Jeep XJs and Toyota Tacos until the supply runs out.

You could trade a pack of Lucky's for a YJ. Not even a cameo in Jurassic Park was able to make that styling cool.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
You could trade a pack of Lucky's for a YJ. Not even a cameo in Jurassic Park was able to make that styling cool.
I liked those... Not anymore than the XJ, I see that one as "the older, but still sort of modern Wrangler."

All Jeeps around here are hunks of rust with larger fender flares to hide the cancer.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '07 ST1300, '11 Multistrada

I'm not even sure you could make a solid axle 4x4 SUV and be compliant to modern standards now that they're classed as passenger vehicles instead of trucks. A bigass front axle means the engine has to sit up high which means your hood has to be high which means your nose needs to be square which means it kills pedestrians.
Wrangler and the entire 70-series from Toyota would like a word. The 70-series line isn't even available in the US, but it is in Australia, where rules are even more strict. The 80 series was solid front and rear with coil springs and it was perfectly comfortable on pavement or over hard terrain.

The Tacoma is no hardcore off roader, you can make them fairly capable with enough money, but there are way better platforms to start from.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
Roadtrip planning, Covid avoidance edition!

Route Notes:
Home->Louisville-ish? 8hrs
Louisville-ish->A certain dragstrip 8hrs
A certain dragstrip->Enid OK 3hrs
Enid->LA 20+hr caffeine-fueled hellride because I don't trust Arizona in the slightest (note to self: Get AZ BLM map. Just in case 'sleep in the god damned desert' is indicated. There's also a rest area just into CA, past Needles).

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Roadtrip planning, Covid avoidance edition!

Route Notes:
Home->Louisville-ish? 8hrs
Louisville-ish->A certain dragstrip 8hrs
A certain dragstrip->Enid OK 3hrs
Enid->LA 20+hr caffeine-fueled hellride because I don't trust Arizona in the slightest (note to self: Get AZ BLM map. Just in case 'sleep in the god damned desert' is indicated)
good luck, stay safe.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
That's so bad... Would be the star of RadWood if restored though...

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR, #Saab #9-3, #Toyota #MR2 #Spyder
Ok fair; with that spoiler it’s a Foooooooooxx body and call it a day. Kinda wish it had T-tips to keep the Rad theme, but that’d be a huge pain.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Ok fair; with that spoiler it’s a Foooooooooxx body and call it a day. Kinda wish it had T-tips to keep the Rad theme, but that’d be a huge pain.
How many sets of T-tops do you think it would need to cover the entire roof? :p

That's something I'd like to see and a project I'd be interested in, for some reason I like it despite it being horrible.