Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
I’ve always wanted the one off Audi R8 with the diesel V12. Because torque. On a lesser scale, that Passat is also awesome. I never liked the styling though, the front looks weird IMO

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
Wot no manual?! I guess they didn't offer a manual with that engine, which is odd. Auto trader here says only 369 lbs/ft. :think:

I can't see why anyone would want a manual in a Passat. Especially not since it ruins active cruise control.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I can't see why anyone would want a manual in a Passat. Especially not since it ruins active cruise control.
I'm not saying I would get one but I thought @93Flareside preferred manuals.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)

I do, but if it's a good car or the vehicle excels with an auto, fine. Especially with a DSG. I realize that manuals are fun, but you can have fun with autos as well.

Perc

Car(s)

And I'm saying that manuals are going the way of the dodo in cars like these. No wonder VW isn't offering a manual in the range-topping passat when even cheap French hatchbacks are actively being advertised as having 8 speed automatics.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
O shit me too.

GRtak

Forum Addict
I don't believe any of you. lol

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
So as not to clog up any ones car post. Why is it that auto manufacters can make an infotainment system work nearly flawlessly for their ICE cars and not their electric cars? How could there be anything different?

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
So as not to clog up any ones car post. Why is it that auto manufacters can make an infotainment system work nearly flawlessly for their ICE cars and not their electric cars? How could there be anything different?

Don't they typically try to fit functions that would normally be handled by manual knobs into the infotainment of an electric vehicle?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Don't they typically try to fit functions that would normally be handled by manual knobs into the infotainment of an electric vehicle?

they do some of that, but that's not uncommon to the ICE cars either.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0

ICE cars usually have an app for controlling the aircon and checking the battery, maybe its hard to integrate both systems?

Either way, if I have Carplay or android auto, the infotainment system is irrelevant, no?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Manufacturers seem to be struggling with the apparent need to put everything on a screen now in an electric car (maybe Tesla is to blame for this) but keep some kind of fancy looking but half-arsed physical controls. UI design is also questionable, not picking on any manufacturer in particular but some of them look a mess and the hardware always seems to be specced slightly lower than it needed to be for a smooth experience.

I like the Tesla infotainment but it's not perfect.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Manufacturers seem to be struggling with the apparent need to put everything on a screen now in an electric car (maybe Tesla is to blame for this) but keep some kind of fancy looking but half-arsed physical controls. UI design is also questionable, not picking on any manufacturer in particular but some of them look a mess and the hardware always seems to be specced slightly lower than it needed to be for a smooth experience.

I like the Tesla infotainment but it's not perfect.

Yeah, which is silly, the established brands to me are good at what they do, why couldn't they just build a normal interior with the usual switches and stuff but have a different drive train underneath? it's not like the interior layout, especially the center stack must be all integrated for the electric motors and batteries to work...

Perc

Car(s)
I think it’s a combination of switchgear being more expensive than a touchscreen, and people in boardrooms thinking everyone wants a touchscreen because their grandkid once showed them their new iPad.