Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So this Jason Cammisa video had me wondering: was Cadillac the car brand ever pronounced the French way?

Because it's vastly simpler than their "actual" model names and communicates more pertinent information (i.e. "is it a good or a bad BMW" versus just "series and relative position in the lineup")

And really, for most people it probably falls off after E30 and E36. You know. The good ones.

BMW guys are the ones that tell me chassis code and engine code when they want parts, when all I want is the registration.

Toyota owners know they have a blue car. I still only want the reg.

Interesting chat with Christian von Koenigsegg:

(sound a bit wonky in a couple of places)

Every morning on my drive into work I drive by a small woodworking shop. They have a company runabout with shelving in the back. Unlike everyone else on the planet, their company runabout is a Toyota Previa. You can see the shelves with the tools and whatnot through the side windows. I really ought to stop and take a picture of it at some point.

And this is in a part of the world where "japanese car" meant Toyota Corolla and Mazda 323 with no options. If you wanted options, you bought something else.

Last edited:
herewego.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

£700?! That's like triple your normal budget. :ROFLMAO:
Last purchases:

Dolly 1300 @ £1400
Dolly 1850 @ £850
Acclaim @ £840
Volvo 740 @ £300

Avg: £850

So actually slightly below average... Man, I really am a stingy bastard.
100 pounds for every month it works?
11 months MOT so I'm hoping for £65...

I'm excited and concerned. Probably more concerned. :p

Have shitbox prices in UK already fallen due to it being more difficult to export them to Finland now, meaning decreased demand? :p

It took me until today to see why the Maserati GranTurismo's tail lights look like I've seen similar ones on another car as well:

01-282555.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I know they're not exactly the same, but everyone says GranTurismo's tail lights look like Mondeo taillights, while I'd argue that I see more of Impreza hatchback's tail lights with some red tint on them.

I find this more than a little disconcerting. Who will want to buy a new car when this happens?

I find this more than a little disconcerting. Who will want to buy a new car when this happens?

I'm certainly fully prepared to rip EV batteries and drivelines out and shove them under old Subarus to avoid it.

This kind of shit will make me find the cellular card and rip it out or disconnect the network antenna. Otherwise I will relinquish myself to old cars and public transport.

The idea of subscriptions to tiers of ICE and car features is already being floated, I'm sure people will be happy to pay a monthly subscription to remove ads.

New cars aside, my question is which 'aftermarket' option will enable that first - Apple Carplay or Android Auto? I can imagine Apple charging for Carplay capability but never implementing adverts, I can't imagine Android ever having a subscription but I can see forced adverts. Of course with Android there would be ways around them, but still.

Yeah most new cars have sim cards soldered on the chip so it’s not removable without destroying everything. OTOH it may be a way to get people to pay more for the premium subscription…. Get the functionality for free (with ads) or pay 5€ a month to get the same without ads.

I hope the authorities step in here. Visual ads in the car? That's quite a distraction for the driver.

Oh I forgot. This is probably for the self-driving car. One more reason not to support those.