Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

New cars aside, my question is which 'aftermarket' option will enable that first - Apple Carplay or Android Auto? I can imagine Apple charging for Carplay capability but never implementing adverts, I can't imagine Android ever having a subscription but I can see forced adverts. Of course with Android there would be ways around them, but still.
Not sure on either quite yet. BMW used to charge a monthly fee for Carplay to work and it was brutally unpopular and dropped. Android Auto may prefer to slip in ads, like say an ad for a roadside stop near your calculated route. Waze already does/did that and Google owns them...

It's already here, somewhat.

In Waze you get ads when stationary. I think I don't get them unless I forget to turn Blokada on.

Edit, should have read the latest reply, Waze already mentioned.

Using Waze is optional. You're kinda stuck with the infotainment your car came with.

I guess infotainment with ads just makes one more for the list of cars to simply avoid.

I very much doubt that NHTSA and USDOT would allow in-car ads. The consumer backlash to that as a stock "feature" would be extreme - I know I would immediately scratch any car with that off my list of possible purchases regardless of any other features, costs, or performance figures.

In unrelated random thoughts - I'm severely disappointed in how many 4WD vehicles you can really modify for off road driving. After the Moab Meet and the Xterra's second mid-trip breakdown in a row, I'm realizing that I need a newer and more reliable vehicle. The problem is I want to go a different direction; I'm done with the overland thing and want to focus more on technical off road challenges. Part of that is because all the overlanding I've done, I could do with a more hardcore off road build by throwing a water jug in the back, the other part is the Broverlander Instagram thing has really soured me on the whole idea. I'm sick of seeing Tacomas with $10-20k worth of shit bolted on driving their commute every day with maxtrax, a roof top tent, and a half dozen rotopax strapped to the sides.

I'm realizing that if I want to go up in tire size - which I do, the X really struggled on 33" tires on some trails - there's almost no options out there aside from Jeep. The Wrangler Unlimited is crazy expensive for what you get, but a 4Runner TRD Pro can be as much as $10K more than that. I'm not sure I want to buy into a FCA "American Leyland" product, but I might not have much choice. The only other modern vehicle I know of that can run 35"s is the new Bronco, but it's not out yet and Ford is having serious issues with that 10-speed. All the lego-bits that I want are there, but Ford won't bolt them together the way I want: V6, Manual Transmission, Sasquatch Package. I can get the Manual and the Sasquatch, but only with the 4-cyl and I honestly am not confident that little high-strung engine will last running desert trails at < 5 mph without cooking the turbo.

New job = New wheels.

190102651_10227183348348748_8955585123109418898_n.jpg

Smol van is smol.

In Glasgow that sounds like some kind of service that officially denies the smell of your weed farm, on paper.

So, da works van.

2017 Peugeot Partner, 1.6 diesel - 77,400 on the clock, low on coolant, one oddly rusty wing, bent bonnet but a brand new windscreen (those two points are related...), new front tyres. Overall not bad, doesn't stink, isn't utterly fucked, has an aux in. Sorted.
Only complaint is the brakes are the least progressive thing on the planet, if I look at the pedal funny the fucker nosedives and the contents in the back rearrange themselves...

Clean air validation is essentially testing airflow cabinets, clean room ventilation systems etc. Anything where a consistent flow of clean air is required, lots of pharma labs, hospitals and stuff.

Should be going down to Stoke-On-Trent to collect my latest automotive purchase on Saturday. It's a high risk manoeuvre 'cause it's an 8 hour round trip, the return leg being done in a car that's spent 16 years in storage and was only MOT'd a few weeks ago.... On my girlfriend's birthday. ? I have assured her I'll be back be the mid-afternoon...

Should be going down to Stoke-On-Trent to collect my latest automotive purchase on Saturday. It's a high risk manoeuvre 'cause it's an 8 hour round trip, the return leg being done in a car that's spent 16 years in storage and was only MOT'd a few weeks ago.... On my girlfriend's birthday. ? I have assured her I'll be back be the mid-afternoon...

Does she have a liberal attitude towards the smell of gear oil?

It's a high risk manoeuvre 'cause it's an 8 hour round trip, the return leg being done in a car that's spent 16 years in storage and was only MOT'd a few weeks ago.... On my girlfriend's birthday. ? I have assured her I'll be back be the mid-afternoon...
That's me-scale madness. I approve and endorse this plan.

Are Fiat Tipo's ok cars? They seem to be offered with some low powered engines except for the 1.6 Diesel, but they seem to look alright...

Are Fiat Tipo's ok cars? They seem to be offered with some low powered engines except for the 1.6 Diesel, but they seem to look alright...

In your case I would go with whatever is common, which means good availability of parts and know-how. I don't think the Fiat is worse than anything else in its class. The problem in Finland is the shoddy dealer network these days. Sales fell off a cliff at some point, dealers vanished and now only diehard Fiat fans (all five of them) buy their cars.