Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I can't understand the benefit of doing that, especially if a car is shared.

In the states, it's less about that and more about "who's going to be the regular drivers?" If someone crashes your car and is at fault, the insurance won't pay out if they were not given authorization generally (unless stolen) or put on as a regular driver. Registration really isn't a big deal who's driving or where the car is, just as long as the state gets their money and the car legally can be on the road. This is of course why you see California residents register their super cars in Montana. No annual emissions check and the registration rates are favorable. Plus AFAIK, you don't need a mailing address in Montana to register a car like most states do.

Yes but you can go to a dealer, buy a car, drive it home. Over here that’s legally not possible, it has to go through the DMV and insurance companies first, stretching the process to 3-4 days minimum.

It’s one of those ‘let’s overcomplicate it just because we can’ things

AKA: typical Belgian burocratic crap, but yeah, what NooDle said.

Yes but you can go to a dealer, buy a car, drive it home. Over here that’s legally not possible, it has to go through the DMV and insurance companies first, stretching the process to 3-4 days minimum.

It’s one of those ‘let’s overcomplicate it just because we can’ things
Hi there Brazil, long time no see.

Maybe he slept and hasn't woken up yet. :|

Kind of silly to me last night as a sign of rising fuel prices. A guy in his Toytora Tacoma was putting stuff in his car as pulled into the local beer store. He starts asking me about the Fiat, what’s the fuel mileage, how do I like it, things like that. Never would I have expected that. I’ve been laughed at driving this thing by other guys so I figured most people here would be similar of mind “ew, why would I want to be seen in that?”

I would think it's fairly false economy to buy another car for fuel economy, unless you driving 100 miles a day.

Though it is nice to drive something other than a pickup occasionally. I do enjoy driving the BRZ because it handles well, but compared to my Frontier, it's loud, buzzy and stiff. I think a fresh set of tires and a suspension refresh would solve some of that.

I would think it's fairly false economy to buy another car for fuel economy, unless you driving 100 miles a day.

Though it is nice to drive something other than a pickup occasionally. I do enjoy driving the BRZ because it handles well, but compared to my Frontier, it's loud, buzzy and stiff. I think a fresh set of tires and a suspension refresh would solve some of that.
Variety is the spice of life as they say.

You can almost assuredly knock out some of the noise with One Neat Trick...

Go to the transmission mount. There is a polyurethane insert pressed into the voids in the rubber mount.

Preach.

Hmm:

TvYHp8E.png

At least it isn't ugly from the front:

77DeAAv.png

Kind of silly to me last night as a sign of rising fuel prices. A guy in his Toytora Tacoma was putting stuff in his car as pulled into the local beer store. He starts asking me about the Fiat, what’s the fuel mileage, how do I like it, things like that. Never would I have expected that. I’ve been laughed at driving this thing by other guys so I figured most people here would be similar of mind “ew, why would I want to be seen in that?”
Lmao, watch the 500 be the next Geo Metro of 2007-2010.

Lmao, watch the 500 be the next Geo Metro of 2007-2010.

1625547361137.png

The first one I won't count as that dude doesn't respond. I tried messaging him in January. The rest? I bet $5500 could be had for mine once I fix the hood sticker issues. Hopefully the chip shortage stays until after ringmeet.

Which is silly to me. It's not all that practicle, it has some glaring issues. Overall though, I guess it's fine? Beat the shit out of it and get no less than 29-32mpg? The only 2 gripes I have with this car is that it needs a 6th gear for over 55MPH and the way roads are paved here. In my area they do gravel, and then concrete sections that aren't so bad in a longer wheel base car. In my Golf and this Fiat you get a really annoying see-saw pitching problem on roads and gets worse as they wear/age. That while isn't a huge deal in the summer, is super annoying in the winter when the ground moves and raises these concrete sections.

Sleep with your car in the Ameron Hotel, Motorwelt Munchen

Hybrids aren't very common here but I rode in a Prius yesterday and today, for the first time since probably 15 years.

Starting off on electric is nice. You can't tell when the engine cuts in. Regenerative braking felt weird, as a passenger. Listening to the engine revs go up and down while holding a steady speed also felt weird but you can barely hear it. Turn the radio up and it's a non-issue.

What was most annoying was the lane keep assist that went haywire on the back road we were on. BEEP! BEEP! BEEEP! Not even a nice bong, just a sharp BEEP.