Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Huh, which generation Prius was that? A former colleague of mine had I think a 2nd gen and that tobt had a strangely loud engine. I thought it would’ve been one of their priorities to dampen that thing from the passengers as much as possible… maybe his exhaust was just borked or sth. Anyway: I thought it was horrible ?‍♂️

Huh, which generation Prius was that? A former colleague of mine had I think a 2nd gen and that tobt had a strangely loud engine. I thought it would’ve been one of their priorities to dampen that thing from the passengers as much as possible… maybe his exhaust was just borked or sth. Anyway: I thought it was horrible ?‍♂️

Current generation, apparently. The one with a face that looks like it's pooping.

2016_toyota_prius_angularfront.jpg

Shiny white plastic scattered around the interior and a center mounted drivers display added to the futuristic feel but I can imagine it's a pain to keep clean. I didn't hate the drivers display though.

The windshield was also very flat, much like I remember from my mom's then-new base Corolla some 15 years ago. I guess it's a Toyota thing? I think it particularly is the flat bottom edge that gives the sensation when you're behind the wheel, unlike most other cars where it curves backwards towards the wing mirrors.

1625989433495.png

edit: anyway, the lane departure warning beep that sounds like a cheap microwave is a good example of "that'll do for our customers" type of thinking that I associate with Toyota. Much like the AWD prius with its electric rear axle that only works up to 60km/h, meaning it's of no use at all when you're trying to overtake a Polish lorry in a snowstorm with your foot welded to the floor.

Last edited:
@LP and @rickhamilton620, how does this compare to the Pathfinder I had when I saw you guys? :D
We mentioned that and the G-Meter, I forgot to look for it.

The door was shut on me inside it like last time though - not in the third row this time however! ?

A Dodge performance-oriented all-electric car is coming.

"Charger" would be both the worst-possible, and simultaneously the best-possible, name they could pick.

Watching Hoovie's Garage, I've become aware that bad valve seals are a thing on (gas powered) BMW's these days.

All of a sudden I'm seeing E46's and the like belching big clouds of blue smoke. I've never noticed it before.

Watching Hoovie's Garage, I've become aware that bad valve seals are a thing on (gas powered) BMW's these days.

All of a sudden I'm seeing E46's and the like belching big clouds of blue smoke. I've never noticed it before.
Caused by ethanol in fuel maybe? I know things always inevitably wear out but I thought valve stem seals were made of tougher materials since the 90s. It's cute that they think they're old BL engines.

This is the second time in a few weeks someone yelled out “Griswold!” Driving past me when I’m driving the Mercury…

So I just got a phone call from the Subaru dealer...
They want to buy my WRX.

For more than it cost new. SUBSTANTIALLY more.

This is tempting, because I really need something more dog-friendly, and being an exciting commuter car is not a priority now that I will never drive another commute in my life.

The eternal question, of course, is 'what can you sell me instead?'

So I just got a phone call from the Subaru dealer...
They want to buy my WRX.

For more than it cost new. SUBSTANTIALLY more.

This is tempting, because I really need something more dog-friendly, and being an exciting commuter car is not a priority now that I will never drive another commute in my life.

The eternal question, of course, is 'what can you sell me instead?'
is this the manual one that was bought by someone that couldn’t drive manual?

So a car that you didn't order yourself, for more money that you can then spend on something (else) silly. Can they reserve a new BRZ for you for next year?

Actually did we ever get to see the last silly purchase? I can't remember.

The silly purchase you're thinking of is still in the works. Having trouble actually locating a suitable car, actually. That this wasn't step 1 of the madness should be indicative of just how bad of an idea it is.

I really need something with a hatch....

The silly purchase you're thinking of is still in the works. Having trouble actually locating a suitable car, actually. That this wasn't step 1 of the madness should be indicative of just how bad of an idea it is.

I really need something with a hatch....

I'll show you my terrible purchase if you show me yours. :D

Dump it. Dump it now.

Acquire something cheap and incredibly janky for replacement as is tradition...Might I suggest a W220 with a persistent ABC light if you just want to burn money.

Last edited: