Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Over here, the police go for the base halogen headlights (if possible) because those are cheaper to repair.

Over here, the police go for the base halogen headlights (if possible) because those are cheaper to repair.

Police cars tend to always have good lights here. I can’t say I blame them.

1633892643716.png

PSA: Even though the catalog says it isn't, the MAF sensor from a 2015 Subaru Impreza is a close enough interchange for the 2013 Subaru Outback.

My brother's been driving my red Outback lately, and last week it started throwing the code for too lean, running like shit, and stalling at idle.

Figured it had to be a sensor problem because it isn't old enough and doesn't have enough miles for it to be an actual condition. Fuel trims were shoved all the way to the positive stops, and the way it was running (and failing to run) it seemed more like it was way rich and flooding itself out. Ordered an O2 sensor and swapped it. Nope. Fuel trims look better, but they're still way out line with what they should be. So either a vacuum leak or MAF. Tighten up all the intake bolts and hoses. Nope.

Well, either there's a real pain in the ass vacuum leak, a genuine fuel system problem, or the MAF is bad. A MAF is a dealership $250 part... And specific to a two model year range of Outbacks and Legacies.

But I have this parts Impreza in the garage.... And the parts number is pretty close. Eh, for 2 phillips screws, may as well try it.

And damned if it didn't work. Stupid car runs better than it ever did.

Subarus and weird parts catalog glitches, who would have expected that :p

I like reading these guesses, sadly it's none of these. The Japanese car I was considering was an Autozam AZ-1, there are a few for sale in this country as Japanese imports. I feel like I would age 100 years in the first 6 months of owning it, having to get 6-foot me in and out of the tiny thing. A 944 is very tempting.

That might help on the convertible because it's also relatively small. It would be interesting to see if anyone remembers that it even exists. :p

What a coincidence, one for sale:

And a review from a few days ago...

It's a sign.

There’s a Honda Beat in my town. It makes everything else on four wheels look huge.

I just called about a car but they've taken a deposit, bollocks. I suppose that does mean I don't have to make an 8 hour round trip to see it.

I do at least know my budget now after I sell the Tesla, assuming the offered amount doesn't swing too much.

I just called about a car but they've taken a deposit, bollocks. I suppose that does mean I don't have to make an 8 hour round trip to see it.

I do at least know my budget now after I sell the Tesla, assuming the offered amount doesn't swing too much.

Did I miss something? Why does the Tesla need to go?

Did I miss something? Why does the Tesla need to go?
I've sort of mentioned it around, a combination of things but mainly I don't drive it enough, it's costing me too much a month that I need to put away for a house now that the market has gone silly and charging is still difficult but recent experiences have been more annoying (see my recent rants). Selling now bags me a nice amount of money in cash and a healthy monthly saving.

Finally I miss having a small car I can just jump into and blast around the countryside without worrying about having to plan charging it. The Model 3 is a fantastic car and it's fast but it's too big to enjoy on British back roads.

Last edited:
I've sort of mentioned it around, a combination of things but mainly I don't drive it enough, it's costing me too much a month that I need to put away for a house now that the market has gone silly and charging is still difficult but recent experiences have been more annoying (see my recent rants). Selling now bags me a nice amount of money in cash and a healthy monthly saving.

Finally I miss having a small car I can just jump into and blast around the countryside without worrying about having to plan charging it. The Model 3 is a fantastic car and it's fast but it's too big to enjoy on British back roads.

This means another Smart Roadster? :D

This means another Smart Roadster? :D
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm not quite that insane. I want that feeling but without the needless complication of an electric roof, a terminator arm changing gear for me, a sleepy badger on the clutch and a computer that tries to kill itself.

I'm going to look at the Mk3 MR2 again and see if it would have enough luggage space for a ringmeet/roadtrip, in some ways it has the perfect space for my folding chair (behind the seats) and a folded Quechua tent (in the frunk). Those are the most awkward items. That might keep me going until I can find a suitable Elan.

I kinda get that, but I wouldn’t call a model 3 large. Model S is another story though.

You would also be the first example of someone I know going from ICE to EV and back to ICE. I myself couldn’t imagine myself forking over money for an ICE again but then again different strokes for different folks…

Obvious solution would be : keep the car, extend the contract, if possible drive it less to get a cheaper monthly cost, and get a home charger, no? Or find a suitable (slow) charger near your home?

Or I’m not up to date on everyone’s cars, apparently? I usually use a car for several years and not several months.

Luokio went from Model S to audi q7 to model 3 and then I’m not sure anymore

I'm nothing if not confusing and hard to read.

I'm not disappointed in the car, it just hasn't worked out for me due to COVID and work changing or due to the lack of decent charging options in my area. I'm out of options to charge the car at home until I own a place with a driveway, ain't going to happen until I save some more money.

The Model 3 felt massive in the Yorkshire dales, I just wished I was back in the Smart so I could duck and dive instead of slowing down for every blind corner in case there's someone coming the other way.