Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I prefer them to go hand in hand, because it looks nicer. I just have to try to remember when I last bought some gas :cool:

It makes just as much sense as not using the rear wash/wipe so not to scratch a 1991 rear glass.

I prefer them to go hand in hand, because it looks nicer. I just have to try to remember when I last bought some gas :cool:

It makes just as much sense as not using the rear wash/wipe so not to scratch a 1991 rear glass.

Do i hear some James May in you... :)

Never bothered to sync them after refilling.

This was parked at my local station. This is an affluent area where many people who work in the city (London) live.

2pop2mr.jpg

You're looking at the back window if you can't spot it. Overkill I believe - you don't need an auto fucking tank to learn to drive, and it'll only make you naturally a bad driver.

Many people learn to drive in their parents' cars just because it's what is available. Unless that L signifies that it's a driving school vehicle or something?

I mean, my first drive on public roads was in a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with a lift kit and 35" wheels.

You're looking at the back window if you can't spot it. Overkill I believe - you don't need an auto fucking tank to learn to drive, and it'll only make you naturally a bad driver.

So my friend who uses his parent's S600 from time to time shouldn't be allowed to?

Some driver's ed schools here do the test in the parents' cars, and not the school vehicles (lessons are in the fleet cars).

I know a guy who passed his drivers exam in a VW Phaeton W12.

Took and passed my drivers test in my mothers' F150. Instructor lady marked me down slightly for backing too far out into the middle of the road from my reverse 3 point turn. I had the steering wheel locked so it was unavoidable in that vehicle. Meh.

I took my test in a fleet 2001ish Chevy Malibu. Or was it the Impala. I can't tell the difference between those two they're so boring.

Funny story there actually. As I was finishing the test, I needed to make a right turn into a parking lot. The stoplight was green, but there was an ambulance charging towards me. It wasn't that far off, so I decided to wait and let it pass. The officer administering the test then started yelling for me to go. At this point the ambulance was yards from hitting the intersection. The officer kept yelling and saying he would fail me if I didn't go. So I went, the ambulance blasted its horn, and nearly took the rear end off the car. In the parking lot, the officer then said "Oh, perhaps you should have waited. That ambulance was a lot closer than I thought it was."

You're even weirder than I thought... how can that possibly cause scratches unless it's SUPER cold

Never bothered to sync them after refilling.

But, but... that's the whole point of the thing, no?

Kilometerage? :think:

Thought that too, but is that even a word?

Some driver's ed schools here do the test in the parents' cars, and not the school vehicles (lessons are in the fleet cars).

I know a guy who passed his drivers exam in a VW Phaeton W12.

In Germany there's a guy who has a 1man driving school in an old Ferrari. His rates aren't even that different from a regular driving school...

I don't think "kilometerage" is a word...probably something as lame as "distance traveled (km)"

But, but... that's the whole point of the thing, no?

i use it for when i have to go to a client, to know how far it is, and how many miles should be billed to him...

I never took a formal driving test. My mother submitted the paperwork to the state to be my official instructor. All I had was a short multiple choice test at the DPS.

The best kind of home schooling. Did she take you to a race track? :)

Sadly not. My dad took me to an empty field though when I was 14 on the one day it snowed and I powerslid the Jeep around for about an hour.

I've actually been driving, since I was about 8 at my uncle's ranch out northwest of town. We would go drive around all day in my uncle's 76 International Scout II from when I was 13 or so. We just had to be back in X hours. It was awesome :)

You're even weirder than I thought... how can that possibly cause scratches unless it's SUPER cold

Ah you see, the rear screen is usually dirty. Admittedly not as dirty as it used to get in the previous Mazda (i can has advanced aerodynamics), but still; and the wiper does rub the screen with muck even if you use copious amounts of washer liquid. Of course, with the windscreen it's impossible to avoid getting scratches.

I don't scrape the windows on frosty mornings either, I prefer to either use the cabin heater or then just let it idle for a bit so the frost/ice melts itself.