Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Aren't the newer Club Cars 48V from the factory?

My parents cart was 48V and the one I had was too. Both were Club Car too.

My next car should have an ‘800v’ badge. Beat that

I just received an advertisement disguised as a Xmas card from Audi. I got a mailer from a VW dealer last week.

I wonder what I have done to pop up on their radar.

I also wonder how many trees died to make the fake card.

How many people suddenly decide to go get a new car because they got something in the mail?

IMG_20211214_140302_265.jpg

IMG_20211214_140255_737.jpg

IMG_20211214_140244_201.jpg

I'm down two Datsuns in the Blanton fleet. But that's fine, still have mine and these were just parts trucks anyway.

That red one has rot a lot like mine did. Damn cheap steel!

I just received an advertisement disguised as a Xmas card from Audi. I got a mailer from a VW dealer last week.

I wonder what I have done to pop up on their radar.

I also wonder how many trees died to make the fake card.

How many people suddenly decide to go get a new car because they got something in the mail?

I had something similar years ago. Renault were giving away free stuff if you agreed to a testdrive. It was silly stuff, pens, lunchboxes, stuff like that. I kinda wanted a go in their Scenic since my wife’s car was getting older so I went, didn’t like it, took home their freebies, and for me that was that.

They proceeded to keep sending me invites and ‘win a free car’ stuff by snail mail for 2 years because they really thought I was interested. Bar the testdrive, I never even spoke to a salesman or have them calculate me an offer.

Mind you, this was the type of dealer where you could enter, open every one of the showroom cars, play with the stereo, slam the doors and bonnet without anyone talking to you. If you’d actually want to buy a car there, I guess you have to shout and make it rain money for them to notice?

They stopped sending me stuff for no apparent reason too

That red one has rot a lot like mine did. Damn cheap steel!

These trucks rotted out if they saw water or dirt. I'm lucky mine is as decent as it is. The white one was even worse than the red one, in places. The red one even had rust in the tops of the fenders.

A combination of high carbon steel and a complete lack of rustproofing will do that to a 70s Japanese car. The only cars I've seen that rusted quite as bad as that were early Pontiac 6000s, and specifically those and no other A-Bodies.

mbination of high carbon steel and a complete lack of rustproofing will do that to a 70s Japanese car. The only cars I've seen that rusted quite as bad as that were early Pontiac 6000s, and specifically those and no other A-Bodies.

The body cladding on those were attached very cheaply, and the results were predictable.

I recently bought a Volkswagen. The other day I got a mailer from a nearby garage that does rust proofing. They do know their potential audience…

Is this what enabling is?
Yes. Yes it is. Do put this at the very bottom of your priority list, but if it turns out it'd be an easy schlep to grab them, we can figure something out.

Yes. Yes it is. Do put this at the very bottom of your priority list, but if it turns out it'd be an easy schlep to grab them, we can figure something out.

It's just south of KC, so about a hour and a half drive, I'd guess. We could go check them out Sunday if you wanted, nothing going on and we could use the excuse to do some things in KC.

If they are what you want, arrange to pay for them and I could make the trip to pick them up in about a day (only enough room for one car at a time). Storage would have to be outside unfortunately, as I don't have enough room for two Jags I'm my small shop. But there's a reasonably priced mini storage in my little town if you'd rather store them inside.

It's just south of KC, so about a hour and a half drive, I'd guess. We could go check them out Sunday if you wanted, nothing going on and we could use the excuse to do some things in KC.

If they are what you want, arrange to pay for them and I could make the trip to pick them up in about a day (only enough room for one car at a time). Storage would have to be outside unfortunately, as I don't have enough room for two Jags I'm my small shop. But there's a reasonably priced mini storage in my little town if you'd rather store them inside.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads-up. For the time being I'd rather let the seller hold onto it in what looks like an indoor location rather than expose 80s Jags to the elements, and I can revisit it down the line.

I now have a car with flappy paddles for the first time. I realized yesterday that having the paddles mounted to the steering column is a clear sign that the car manufacturer meant for people to actually use them on a daily basis. If they're on the wheel, not so much.

On my car they're on the wheel. This works well when you suddenly fancy a bit of engine braking coming off the freeway, but when you need second in the middle of an intersection everything is in the wrong place because you're turning and the steering wheel is upside down. This is where you should be able to steer with your left and have your right hand free to grab second.

Maybe VW intends for you to keep your hands at quarter to three - always. If that means having to corkscrew your arms around each other 3 times in a tight bend, so be it! clearly a case of "you're holding it wrong" :| it's not VW's fault you're not elasti-man or whatever...

... ooorrr it's race driver things: you should fetch the gear you need before you make the turn, because of reasons. i dunno. must've been a lot of overthinking things involved, otherwise it wouldn't be proper german engineering.

Maybe VW intends for you to keep your hands at quarter to three - always. If that means having to corkscrew your arms around each other 3 times in a tight bend, so be it! clearly a case of "you're holding it wrong" :| it's not VW's fault you're not elasti-man or whatever...

... ooorrr it's race driver things: you should fetch the gear you need before you make the turn, because of reasons. i dunno. must've been a lot of overthinking things involved, otherwise it wouldn't be proper german engineering.

Or I could just leave the gear lever in D where it belongs. Which is what they intended for me to do and I agree. But I do like having the paddles as an option.