Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

No he's talking about why it's called xdrive rather than just putting x in the name, like 330xd or something like that.
Because it's the "Ultimate Driving Machine" and not the "Ultimate Scene/Emo Kid Machine" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: LP
Shock, horror, Bobbyllew in a tizzy over radio host not being on message about range anxiety:

Probably more happy with:
Junior transport minister Trudy Harrison, 45, told a sustainability conference owning a car was outdated '20th-century thinking' and the country should move to 'shared mobility' to cut carbon emissions.

Robert Llewellyn was irritating and idiotic on this one. Belittling concerns in such a way is not conductive to a conversation and smacks of people who say that the air isn't polluted because they can breathe.

I am unable to express in a reasoned manner how Harrison's comments make me feel as someone who feels very strongly about personal ownership, cars, and the advances we're making into clean vehicles.

I kinda get what Kryten is saying though. The journalist obviously doesn’t have a clue and is just rehashing stuff he heard from other people. More people need to drive an EV before they’ll understand 1) you won’t run out of electricity and 2) if you do get low, you get a warning beforehand and 3) worst case scenario you need a tow to a fast charger (just like you would need a tow to a petrol station if you run out)

Saw a BMW iX today for the first time. I like it, except for the horrible grille.

But why is everyone putting the taillights on the bootlid all of a sudden? Lucid Air and the first gen Opel Insignia in wagon form to name two. Is there some manufacturing advantage to doing it this way, something the engineers at VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach figured out ahead of everyone else? :LOL:

32184272520_767cd8c3bb_b.jpg

But why is everyone putting the taillights on the bootlid all of a sudden? Lucid Air and the first gen Opel Insignia in wagon form to name two. Is there some manufacturing advantage to doing it this way, something the engineers at VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach figured out ahead of everyone else? :LOL:
Seems like a good way to get electrical problems down the line, along with having to fit extra lights for when the tailgate is open as they did with the Insignia. I don't get why they're doing it either.

What if I got yet another MR2 Spyder?
Yes.

Seems like a good way to get electrical problems down the line, along with having to fit extra lights for when the tailgate is open as they did with the Insignia. I don't get why they're doing it either.

Yes. All those Dodge Durangos, chargers, and darts with the wraparound neon-look running lights? The hatch parts are crapping out by the edges and I’ve seen a couple in and on spots. It’s only on the hatch, the side edges are fine.

Worse than that. With them in a tailgate or trunk lid, they will need to put a second set that will work if the tailgate/trunk lid is left open while transporting an oversize item.

I.E. the Opel/Buick Cascada.

275665.jpg

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667

Worse than that. With them in a tailgate or trunk lid, they will need to put a second set that will work if the tailgate/trunk lid is left open while transporting an oversize item.

I.E. the Opel/Buick Cascada.

View attachment 3563570

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667

My first gen Insignia had this as well, but you didn't get the first version as a Buick. I thought that was because of the light arrangement. Apparently not, if you got the Cascada...

Skärmavbild 2022-01-06 kl. 10.10.26.png

The Wartburg had it as well.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-06 kl. 10.11.02.png

Ok, so the other way around the "lights mounted to the trunk" is to add the additional lights to the rear bumper, like on this Audi Q5:

ef4c1ef0f34240ffb4cca9f9d6cf27f9.jpg

Ok, so the other way around the "lights mounted to the trunk" is to add the additional lights to the rear bumper, like on this Audi Q5:

Yeah, IIRC they USDM version of these have more of the lighting functions moved to the bumper.

TIL that the blower Bentleys of the 1920s were 4-cylinders. Who wants to annoy purists and do a GM Ecotec swap?

TIL that the blower Bentleys of the 1920s were 4-cylinders. Who wants to annoy purists and do a GM Ecotec swap?
LSJ supercharged* so it's a proper blower Bentley, of course. :p

*I can find and read things on Wikipedia.

How very "old American movie car chase" is that! :D

I always loved the way the hubcaps would fly off cars in the Driver 1 and 2 games, it was perfect for the car chase vibe.

The Galaxie looks great, I think the one-hubcap-missing look suits it anyway.

One missing hubcap does increase it's angry beater style. It's mildly hilarious until you realise you're flinging a substantial chunk of stainless steel in to parked cars/pedestrians, it lives in the trunk now.

The thing was running the Dolomite's battery, which had half the cranking amps of the one that was flat. I said to him I didn't think it had another start left in it and the alternator probably wasn't working... Obviously he went for another run and had to abandon it in a car park when the battery died. :ROFLMAO:

LSJ supercharged* so it's a proper blower Bentley, of course. :p

*I can find and read things on Wikipedia.
Oh exactly! And if you really want to annoy purists, use one of those Mercedes M111 Kompressor engines (thanks Wikipedia).

View attachment 3563575
You mean, those aren't the spare lights for when the regular ones burn the bulbs out?