Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
by 'the back woods' I mean 'heavy equipment that permanently lives up a mountain and now you need two truck mounted tanks or to deal with a ton of those little 1 gallon totes'

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
Putting the stuff in isn't even real arduous for machinery operators unless they're deep in the back woods. Yeah, it's one more thing to have around, but you put it in while you're putting in fuel. Takes no time.
The real "problem" they have with it is what happens when the system fails. It's the first common emissions system that simultaneously stops the whole-assed thing from running, has long parts lead times, and costs absolute bucketloads to fix. The second two really should not be the case, and you'd think they'd be in the manufacturer's interest in keeping under control.

If only companies had that sort of for thought. Except my experience is that they’re heads are stuck up their asses and think if it broke, you did something wrong and it’s impossible.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
The problem with SCR I guess is that it’s an exhaust aftertreatment system. The engine runs fine without it. So vehicle and machinery manufacturers have to implement all sorts of artificial issues that are programmed to show up when the tank is empty or there’s a malfunction. If this didn’t happen the operator would keep on using it, not giving a single fuck that the emissions are off.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
Now if we could get the bozos who fear ever turning their truck off when they go inside for a burrito…. Like this guy.

595BDC35-FBDD-47EE-957A-E909D3DEBD66.jpeg

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ
Now if we could get the bozos who fear ever turning their truck off when they go inside for a burrito…. Like this guy.

NYC started a scheme where people could turn in idling trucks for money.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
The main character of the movie I'm watching has a 2-car stable. A Scion xA and a Honda Civic del Sol. Very aspirational. 😅

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
^ That's why I have turned my back on non-perforated leather/pleather too, I had instances of that in the Tesla even with the climate control running. I never had the issue in Bugsy with perforated seats.

Anyway I meant to post this on Sunday but forgot, the bobtail has developed a new security feature. When the key is turned to the start position, nothing happens but a clunk. The other electrics cut out as you would expect but no engine spinning occurs, unless you back the key off the stop a bit and it makes contact. I think the ignition contacts might be bad. :p

Took me 5 minutes to work this out the other day because as you turn the key past the 'good' point the starter may briefly twitch. I was almost going to bump-start it down a hill but thankfully I figured it out.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Bring it home in one piece! Or one pile of pieces. I'm actually about to watch the latest episode of Roadkill Garage, what will your zip-tie moment be?

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
You know how flicking the steering wheel makes it rock back and forth a couple of times until it stops again? I just realized today that my car does this in software, it isn't natural.

Der Stig

is Der Slut
Car(s)
Divorcée Mobiles
Bring it home in one piece! Or one pile of pieces. I'm actually about to watch the latest episode of Roadkill Garage, what will your zip-tie moment be?
The front turn signal warnings went off and already self healed 👍

4E983B85-C915-48DB-9747-EE4839DC0CDB.jpeg

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)

public

Captain Slow Charging
DONOR
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
You know how flicking the steering wheel makes it rock back and forth a couple of times until it stops again? I just realized today that my car does this in software, it isn't natural.
Diravi but digital?