Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Quick question : has anyone seen a Renault Twizy lately? :lmao: I guess, like all fashion accessories, it ran out of fashion (and battery).
There’s a bunch of street sweepers in my home town that have twizys with large garbage cans strapped on the back 😜

Here goes:
1662582315725.jpeg

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
That actually seems like a totally appropriate use for a vehicle like that.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Having sat in the back of one, you could just throw the trash behind the driver and it would be exactly the same as the plastic bin. :p

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
Kia EV6 "Mullet"
It's a bit like the Citroen Ami : everyone says ooh it looks so cute, I'd definitely buy that, but nobody ever does because it's daft and pointless and slow. From what I hear they're not actually that terrible to drive as long as you do mainly B roads, but apparently too "out there" for most people?

I kinda like the Twizy though, because I'm weird? The 2 people sitting behind each other made me think of that weird Dutch car/bike thing that leans in the corners (Carver I think)...

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
It's a bit like the Citroen Ami : everyone says ooh it looks so cute, I'd definitely buy that, but nobody ever does because it's daft and pointless and slow.

How I feel about the Opel Adam…

public

Captain Slow Charging
DONOR
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
The Ami is a quadricycle like all the sans-permis stuff that's been offered for decades, but the best thing is it doesn't have a jittery diesel.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
The Twizy is awesome if you need a city-only vehicle and don't want to tip over when you stop.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
There’s a bunch of street sweepers in my home town that have twizys with large garbage cans strapped on the back 😜

Here goes:
View attachment 3566685
I don't think the lorry one is technically a Twizy.

Anyway, Los Angeles of all places has a bunch of both of the things pictured for assorted city government uses.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
Okay but for real I need to know more about that lorry.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Okay but for real I need to know more about that lorry.

Top speed: 25mph/40kph
Range: 60, 80 or 110km (depending on the 8.6, 11.5 or 17.3kW battery)
3m turning radius for short wheel-base
Weight: 1009lbs/457kg

...and totes adorbs.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
boooooooooo lead acid.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
They definitely knew what they were doing when they applied the stickers above the headlights, it looks quite shocked and upset. Meanwhile the Twizy just continues to look like a white owl on a roller skate.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
Kia EV6 "Mullet"
Got the wife's car in for its yearly service and first MOT.
Weird thing was that it gave an engine fault immediately driving away from the dealer, also no powah.
Took it back, and it was a bad sparkplug? So swapped out, on to the MOT station (they're a seperate, government run thing here), and passed.
Weird thing nr 1 : how did the dealer not notice a bad sparkplug?
Weird thing nr 2 : they only did oil, filters, and misc shizzle, they went nowhere near the sparkplugs?
Weird thing nr 3 : car did poorly on the shock absorber test thingy, showing a massive difference between rear left and rear light. It somehow still passed?

Anyways, because relatively new car, and relatively low mileage (4 years, 32k kms) I'm good for another 2 years (instead of just 1).

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
I wish my state still had safety inspections, and the ones we used to do were nowhere near as comprehensive. Things like shocks were never tested, only visually inspected. I don't think a blown shock would result in a fail either.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Ordered new winter tires the other day. Almost all of them were made in Russia, including Nokian which I had planned to get. It seems manufacturers stocked up before sanctions put an end to the exports. I read somewhere that it's not the easiest thing in the world to just start production of nordic winter tires somewhere else. You need special tooling and trained workers for what ultimately is a small market, and it seems Russia was the place you went to if you were a tire manufacturer and wanted to be in the nordic winter market. I ended up with Good Years made in Poland because I'm not putting Russian tires on my car.

Anyway, my size was available with the sound insulating foam in it, so I went with that. Another €50 or so for the entire set so I thought why not try it out. This is typically invented for and marketed towards the EV market, but you can't really hear the engine in most other cars either once you're done accelerating and trundling along at 1500rpm. This includes my diesel and the substantially noisier diesel I had before the VW. Interested to see if it's going to make a difference.