Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'd usually discard the Jag S-Type for being hideously ugly, but today I learned the 3.0 V6 version was available with a manual gearbox and is cheap compared to similarly aged Mercs and BMWs of similar spec, at least where I live.

I still wouldn't, if for no other reason, then for the resale value, as they're notoriously hard to get rid of, at least here.

I've been up close to a couple of S types and nothing in their build quality convinced me. Brittle plastic held together with spit.

A friend had a V6 petrol S-type, made a decent noise but it was otherwise awful. The HVAC didn't work properly for the entire time he had it and he didn't have it fixed. Maybe a good drivetrain donor.

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t daily one, definitely not. If British sedans of the era are anything to judge by, I remember my friend’s Rover 75 taxi, god that interior was awful, and the whole car was falling apart. If I remember correctly, he once pulled a door handle and it stayed in his hand.

However, as a beater to thrash and hoon, once used car prices normalize? Maybe something to take to the Ringmeet or Finnmeet, shall IT have working HVAC? But definitely not as a daily, they just ooze of ‘bottomless money pit’.

As for an actual semi-affordable RWD daily, I thought about E36/E46 compact, if it’s even possible to find one that hasn’t been thrashed to hell and beyond, or LPG converted; or an E87 1-series, 116i most likely (because Balkans).
I’m still thinking of getting one of those, provided I could find an okay example for a decent price, as my first very own car, but I first need to finish my bachelor’s degree and get employed.

Seems Toyota has no trouble shifting BX4TC's even though they're thirsty and have bad charging capabilities.

Saw this on a website that upgrades Range Rovers and such. I can't decide if this is very neat or if it's awful.

Range-Rover-Classic-Apple-Carplay-double-din-head-unit_b65eff296ce5972056d514e2a7a14b7f.jpg

Just happens to be the same head unit that I fitted in Bugsy, which is what got my attention. I'd guess it's a single DIN but with everything at the top instead of at the bottom, as mine was.

Someone on Reddit went to look at this magnificent old beast:

1675352612146.png
1675352549628.png

Other than the side steps (and it's apparently a diesel), it's a perfect LHD equivalent to Bugsy. Same wheels, same interior colour, same wood trim, same auto box. I still miss that old bus.

Well damn, the Saab I was going to get has a potentially borked transmission. It can come with an allegedly working replacement. Now to decide if I'm up to the task of swapping it.

Well damn, the Saab I was going to get has a potentially borked transmission. It can come with an allegedly working replacement. Now to decide if I'm up to the task of swapping it.
At the very least since one is out already, take it to a shop and have it checked out. Wouldn’t want it to also be fucked.