Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I was thinking that, but I don't know if the Odyssey is even sold in that market or if it would be too large for many European roads (and tax structures) - especially when there are more compact hybrid MPVs we don't get in the US.

Slim chance you could get a used one from a US soldier's family that brought it over.

I doubt it's sold there and the 3.5 liter v6 would probably be to costly to insure/tax.
Did a quick search for any V6 US MPV to get some numbers for a tax simulation and the first hit was a 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.6liter V6 with 286HP. So I guess the numbers wont be too far off from a Honda Oddyssey. And the results came out as 2400euro/year and the most annoying/ridiculous tax here in Belgium: 7700euro in taxes just to register it (doesn't matter if you wreck it on the second day, you're not getting a cent back, oh and if you sell it the next person will have to pay that tax again just to register it :rolleyes: ). Both taxes are a calculation based on emissions, hp/kW and engine size in cc.
For comparison, we currently pay 240euro/year for our 2018 VW Caddy with its huge 1.4liter 125pk engine. Getting it registered cost me someting between 300-500euro IIRC.

And that is the reason Belgians drive cars with tiny engines. Similar with other European nations.

Did a quick search for any V6 US MPV to get some numbers for a tax simulation and the first hit was a 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.6liter V6 with 286HP. So I guess the numbers wont be too far off from a Honda Oddyssey. And the results came out as 2400euro/year and the most annoying/ridiculous tax here in Belgium: 7700euro in taxes just to register it (doesn't matter if you wreck it on the second day, you're not getting a cent back, oh and if you sell it the next person will have to pay that tax again just to register it :rolleyes: ). Both taxes are a calculation based on emissions, hp/kW and engine size in cc.
For comparison, we currently pay 240euro/year for our 2018 VW Caddy with its huge 1.4liter 125pk engine. Getting it registered cost me someting between 300-500euro IIRC.
And the rocker arms will fail and the rear bank head will crack.
So, y'know, solid choice all around.

Taxes for petrol cars up to 2liter are somewhat ok for more or less recent cars, from 2500cc upwards it starts getting ridiculous. Taxes for diesel cars are even higher.
As far as know in Holland they pay roughly 4x what we pay in Belgium for bigger (diesel) cars because weight is also a factor for calculating their roadtax. When I was driving a Discovery 2 TD5 I was talking to a Dutch friend who had exactly the same car but paid more quarterly than I paid per year.
In road taxes paid per vehicle however Belgium is the number 1 in Europa according to some articles I found.

The one that annoys me the most is the "BIV" tax (Belasting op InVerkeerstelling = tax for registering the car) doesn't matter if it's brand new or 20years old with 15 previous owners you are going to pay up after registering a car (apart from the VAT you obviously also pay when buying a new car). Theoretically it gets lower as the car gets older, but for cars with a bigger engine it stays rather high especially since they added an "eco tax" to it a couple years back.
This is especially annoying if you're looking for a car just for hobby and fun. A cheap 15-20 year old car with a bigger, 200hp+ engine will often cost you more to register than it costs to buy. As soon as it's 30years or older it does get really cheap however (100euro for registering it and 46euro per year).

I don't really mind paying a higher yearly roadtax (up to a certain degree), but it's that high tax to register it that really kills it for me. Paying 2500+ euro to register a car that costs 3000euro that might as-well blow up it's engine in the first couple of days after buying it just makes no sense to me. If I pay 2500euro per year at least I get 1250euro back should I wreck or sell it after 6 months, which isn't the case for the tax for registering a car.

Last edited:
I don't really mind paying a higher yearly roadtax (up to a certain degree), but it's that high tax to register it that really kills it for me. Paying 2500+ euro to register a car that costs 3000euro that might as-well blow up it's engine in the first couple of days after buying it just makes no sense to me. If I pay 2500euro per year at least I get 1250euro back should I wreck or sell it, which isn't the case for the tax for registering a car.
One advantage of the (seemingly rare) system we have here is that the car itself is registered and a fee paid when it first goes on the road and that's it. Each new keeper just pays the road tax.

I was going to break down the tax costs after that but it gets complicated if the car is newer than 2001, there is a rolling 40 year exemption for classic cars though.

I would really love a system like in many other countries where you can just buy a car and as long as it still got valid inspection and your insurance covers it you go to some office to change the ownership and start driving. And then only have to pay taxes for the period you actually own it and especially don't need to get it inspected before you can register it again.
Apart from taxes I just hate the system for registering a car here in Belgium. First it has to go get its inspection to get the right papers to get it (re)registered, which off course can only be done at a station that indirectly works for the government, no local garage or anyone else can do that. So also no real options for a second opinion if you disagree and they can pretty much charge whatever they want since there's no competition to fight your prices. Having to wait 3-4hours for your turn is no exception, unless you thought of making an appointment but then you pretty much need to do that 2months in advance. Oh and said inspection and papers are only valid for a couple of months off course.
If you're lucky and just buying a car and not selling it, the seller usually has to go through the hassle of that inspection. Then you take those papers, go to your insurance broker so they can go to a government website to register your car. If you were there early enough you can get lucky and receive your license plates and/or papers the next day, that is if you were at home when the mailman came and remembered to make sure you have 30euro (26 when you only need new papers) cash to pay him/her. If you weren't home when they came or you didn't have the money on you to pay the mailman the exact amount of money (they apparently can't or aren't allowed to give you change if you only have a 50euro note for example), you can pick it up at the post office but only the following working day.

Ya boi is car shopping right now (i've got some threads to update haha) and ugh fuck it's a pain in the ass...thanks interest!!!! Even looking at brand new cars.

Looking for a new(to us) 7 seater to replace our VW Caddy because I only started to dislike it more during our 2week holiday. Not that I had any real problems with it, but it's just that spending 30+ hours in it over 15 days while I already had my doubts about the car made me realise I simply don't like driving the car.
Specifically bought a Caddy 5years ago because it has a bigger boot space than most MPV's but It wasn't as big as the "real" European minivans like the Ford Transit, Opel Vivaro, ... and less expensive than the bigger MPV's like the VW Sharan and Ford Galaxy.
But since there's "only" six of us, I came to the realisation that since most medium size MPV's like the Ford S-Max and Citroen C4 Grand Picasso have independently folding seats instead of a bench style seat if I fold one down I still have at least the same amount of room and with that a lot more options to choose from.

My wife wants something sensible that is cheap to run like a 1.2 131hp or 1.6 165hp Citroen C4 Picasso, but I don't feel like settling with less than 200hp :unsure:.
So we'll probably end up buying something sensible:ROFLMAO: .
Last week I went to see and testdrove a Ford S-Max with a 240hp 2.0 EcoBoost in really nice condition and it was actually really nice to drive. Problem is that I'm still waiting for confirmation from my brother in law (because he is still waiting for confirmation from his bank and accountant) for the sale of the Caddy. Don't want to start making promises or agreements before I'm 100% sure I sold the Caddy.
So today I got an e-mail that said car has been sold to someone else, dang it.

It was even only a 45min drive away from here, the only other 239/240hp S-Maxes are either manual gearboxes (auto gearbox is one of the few demands my wife has) too expensive, too high mileage, from a shady seller or 4-5hour away from here in Germany of France. There are a couple 203hp 2.0 EcoBoost ones that are closer (but still 2h+ away) and/or cheaper.
There are however a lot of Citroen C4's with 160-165hp that are a lot closer by, cheaper, cheaper to run and because there is more choise it's easier to walk away when I have my doubts. But they are so boring in every single way :ROFLMAO: .

Last edited:
I haven't been paying any attention to the AMG cars, but caught the announcement of the new AMG GT, and it's "911-ness" caught me off-guard.

I haven't been paying any attention to the AMG cars, but caught the announcement of the new AMG GT, and it's "911-ness" caught me off-guard.

View attachment 3570094
I don't know how they do it, but Mercedes always manages to make their already huge bonnets look even bigger and I've never liked that. The same goes for certain BMW models.
But if you chop off the front it really does look a lot like a Porsche from this angle.

Went to have a look at a Citroën Grand C4 Picasso for sale nearby and even my wife, who would describe every car as "yeah well it is a car I guess", agreed on my opinion of it being boring. Especially the moment we started looking at the interior. Controlling the A/C through the touchscreen also was a big turnoff for both of us.
So I guess I'll just narrow my search to Ford S-Max and Galaxy with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Called a rather Ford (Europe) minded guy I know to ask for his opinion. He said that if he were in my place he would just buy the much more available 203hp version and get it chiptuned since they are pretty much the same engine with mostly a different tune (and a couple small hardware changes). But since an automatic gearbox is a requirement for us, he also advised to make sure to thoroughly test/check the gearbox and service history since the Ford Powershift gearboxes are rather notorious for pricey breakdowns.

he also advised to make sure to thoroughly test/check the gearbox and service history since the Ford Powershift gearboxes are rather notorious for pricey breakdowns.

I’m on my second dual clutch and right now i feel like there’s no chance for a third. Torque converter is so much better in every way.

Went to have a look at a Citroën Grand C4 Picasso for sale nearby and even my wife, who would describe every car as "yeah well it is a car I guess", agreed on my opinion of it being boring. Especially the moment we started looking at the interior. Controlling the A/C through the touchscreen also was a big turnoff for both of us.
So I guess I'll just narrow my search to Ford S-Max and Galaxy with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Called a rather Ford (Europe) minded guy I know to ask for his opinion. He said that if he were in my place he would just buy the much more available 203hp version and get it chiptuned since they are pretty much the same engine with mostly a different tune (and a couple small hardware changes). But since an automatic gearbox is a requirement for us, he also advised to make sure to thoroughly test/check the gearbox and service history since the Ford Powershift gearboxes are rather notorious for pricey breakdowns.

I remember my sister in-law had a focus with the powershift auto. They went through around 3-4 clutch/seal changes in the span of 3 years? Seems like a lot to me. I don’t know if there was ever improvements made, but keep that in mind. That said, @gt1750 has an automatic Smacks, so maybe he can weigh in.

As far as I know they've improved. I guess there might also be a few different types of Powershifts out there? A colleague had a Mondeo diesel with a wet clutch Powershift and it was fine, he had it for a long time. But he said his current Mondeo with an 8 speed proper torque converter auto drives better. Which I don't doubt for a second. A friend has a Focus with no issues but it's not got a lot of km's on it either.

My Passat recently had a new mechatronic unit fitted at great expense (to the extended warranty company, idgaf) and it's still acting up. Sometimes it doesn't know how to creep smoohtly, instead almost running away from you forcing you to hit the brake. It even stalls every now and then. When you coast around a street corner or something and get on the throttle again, it's as if it overshoots with the revs (or rather, expects the clutch to bite earler than it does), producing a split second of nothing (while the revs build) and then a terrible revmatch with too much engine speed. It's like someone new at driving manual, like they don't know where the clutch biting point is.

It's going in for another diag and hopefully repair some time early next month. I'm milking this extended warranty for all it's worth. I had a chat with someone with an identical drivetrain to mine and he said a clutch and flywheel job finally fixed his similar issues.

And I'm aware that there are millions of DSG cars out there working fine including several in the family over the years. But this is getting a bit annoying, an integral bit of an otherwise excellent car.

As far as I know they've improved. I guess there might also be a few different types of Powershifts out there? A colleague had a Mondeo diesel with a wet clutch Powershift and it was fine, he had it for a long time. But he said his current Mondeo with an 8 speed proper torque converter auto drives better. Which I don't doubt for a second. A friend has a Focus with no issues but it's not got a lot of km's on it either.

Because the clutch is of a wet design. The one in my inlaw's Focus was the dry clutch design. Seals failed, fluid got on the clutch and caused a lovely juttering.