Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Thing of this, how has Tesla not eliminated those buttons yet? Or have they and I didn’t notice? Seat controls surely make a dollar or so in manufacturing cost, should’ve just put the seats on the touchscreen and left the stalks alone…

Unless I'm mistaken, you can save user memory presets in the screen, right? So they have the ability to control the seats with the screen, without the use of the seat buttons already. It's just a matter of time, then, as much as it'd suck.

I don't mind buttons you can accidentally bump...unless they are a memory preset button where it doesn't just move slightly, but starts to feel a bit like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3QInIMVME

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, you can save user memory presets in the screen, right? So they have the ability to control the seats with the screen, without the use of the seat buttons already. It's just a matter of time, then, as much as it'd suck.
Exactly! That's what I was thinking as well - seat settings even sync across cars with the login, so the whole actual settings / profile seem to be available to the infotainment (rather than just a "save / recall preset 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" thing). it honestly surprises me they haven't ditched those buttons. I wouldn't even think it'd be all that bad, to be honest - just use the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel like they do for the steering wheel and mirrors. and give us the stalks baaaaack :(

Now you mention it, it does seem odd that the steering wheel position is set on the screen but the seat positions aren't. You do need to use the seat controls to move the seats forward when dropping the rears, one day a company might design rear seats you can drop with the front seats in a normal 'tall person' position. :rolleyes:

Finally had/found some time today to install the replacement broken interior bits in our family hauler and give it a good cleaning to take some pictures for an add.
When looking at the ridiculous prices for really nice comparable spec VW Caddy's I really considered spending another 1500-2000euro to replace the worn tires and scratched wheels with a cleaner used set, getting the scratched bumper resprayed and have a detailer clean it up. Since many buyers apparently really like low mileage cars like ours (64k km) I'd probably end up with a higher netto profit, but I decided I'm not going to bother.
I've got quotes for both the bumper respray and a new set of tires, so I can keep them in mind when negotiating with a potential buyer.

The brake cables on the trailer were cracked so I put new ones on tonight. I educated myself on youtube using a three minute video where some trailer parts retailer installed cables on a what looked like a brand new trailer. Easy as pie.

Mine’s the better part of two decades old and what went swimmingly in the video involved lots of swearing, WD40 and a hammer. Oh, and the video didn’t have any mosquitoes either.

I did enjoy working on something that had to be beaten into submission with a BFH. Precision mechanics this is not.

The brake cables on the trailer were cracked so I put new ones on tonight. I educated myself on youtube using a three minute video where some trailer parts retailer installed cables on a what looked like a brand new trailer. Easy as pie.

Mine’s the better part of two decades old and what went swimmingly in the video involved lots of swearing, WD40 and a hammer. Oh, and the video didn’t have any mosquitoes either.

I did enjoy working on something that had to be beaten into submission with a BFH. Precision mechanics this is not.

Brake work I’ve learned is never so precise. I hate it because you’re removing the nice fitting lines and putting in brake lines that are hand bent and just never as nice looking.

Brake work I’ve learned is never so precise. I hate it because you’re removing the nice fitting lines and putting in brake lines that are hand bent and just never as nice looking.

It was so satisfying to use new discs, calipers and factory hard lines when I rebuilt the rear axle on my first Discovery in 2015 or whatever it was. With the proper bending tool the copper line I fitted a couple of years ago on the back of the bobtail wasn't terrible but just not as satisfying, getting the coil straight is frustrating to begin with.

Copper stands out like a sore thumb as a DIY job, even if it's arguably better than steel on an off road vehicle. I suppose it can be painted easily enough.

Copper stands out like a sore thumb as a DIY job, even if it's arguably better than steel on an off road vehicle. I suppose it can be painted easily enough.
When I replace hard lines I use cunifer line: bends as easily as copper, stronger than copper and it looks more original than copper.

Does anyone else use Gas Buddy or other programs?

I'm just curious if I'm out of the ordinary regarding relying on apps.
Screenshot_20230923-133335.png

I will look up Gas Buddy every few months just to make sure the one we'd default to is still among the cheapest.

Or if I'm in a new area, I will sometimes check to see how out-of-whack the local area is to see if I fill up, or just get $5-worth to get me home where it's $1.20 cheaper.

I don't use the app, though, just the website.

Never used Gas Buddy, but I typically buy all my gas (locally anyway) at one station.

However I have been using Google maps, when on a road trip, to find if one area has significantly cheaper gas than another. Say I'm going from one state to another and I could stop on either side of the state line, I'll check to see if one is like $3.60 per gallon and the other is $3.40. Though it's not much of a savings, I'd rather hit the station with the $3.40 gas.

I do sometimes use Pure-Gas.org to find ethanol free gas in my area. Either for lawn equipment or the BRZ.

I will look up Gas Buddy every few months just to make sure the one we'd default to is still among the cheapest.
Never used Gas Buddy, but I typically buy all my gas (locally anyway) at one station.
Do either of you or anyone have a membership with those gas stations you frequent rewards or loyalty?

Near my home, in 11 blocks, I can go +/- $0.90.

In between those two, there's two more, exactly in the middle. They started out as always being the cheapest around when we first moved here, so we just blindly went there for years. Then we stumbled across GasBuddy one day, and realized there's much cheaper gas a mile or two away, in a way that isn't "out of the way". So we felt like we were getting ripped off for a while. Ha! This is why we still check it every few months to see what the trends are, and if we should think about switching to a station that might now be cheaper.
Do either of you or anyone have a membership with those gas stations you frequent rewards or loyalty?
I do for the chains, but there are some independent stations that don't offer it and still end up cheaper.

The 171 Smoke Shop has no such program. Have I ever mentioned I live in a town of 200?

The wife has a rewards deal with Casey's,I just put in her phone number of I'm buying fuel there, which is rare.

Last edited:
I have a Costco membership and their gas prices are great. Top Tier stuff too so it's good for forced induction cars.

@NecroJoe @CraigB Do you go in the convenience stores? @Labcoatguy Have you ever needed to go to that attendent box?

For the local place, every time. They don't have card readers at the pump. I tend to use the non-prepay pump so I can fill up, then go in and pay cash. Also know the folks behind the counter, we usually tell a few lies before someone else comes in and I continue my day.

If I am at a place out of town, I'd say nine times out of ten I go in. Mostly because I need to either grab a drink/snack or use their facilities.

I am curious, what's with the questions about gas stations?