Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Many anti-EV people are pro FCEV.
So they're just anti-BEV? It's not a terrible position as they've always been the worst part of EVs, shame there aren't currently any decent alternatives. FCEV requires its own massive infrastructure that isn't compatible with the BEV infrastructure, based on the overall poor BEV infrastructure rollout for BEVs I can't see it happening.

I would personally prefer an EV with a clean fuel generator, give me my Mr. Fusion damn it!

Life hack to avoid all red lights:

Drive at just over 114,000,000 mph. At that speed, they will have blue-shifted to appear green.
That would be fast enough to beat the speed cameras, too!

This time of year is the worst time to be driving, as I've once again discovered yesterday while driving into the city centre*. The combination of wet weather, darkness and the end of daylight saving time make especially the afternoon rush-hour worse than usual. Suddenly the peak of traffic happens in the dark, and the rain and the wet asphalt cause all the headlights to appear s just a sea of lights.
And then, there are the idiot cyclists. It's staggering how many I saw riding without any lights in those conditions. I'm afraid to guess how many I didn't see. One of them was nearly flattened in front of me by a delivery van making a right turn**, and was only noticed by the driver in the last moment. Combined with the carefree cyclist (yes, that's the distinct impression I got from his riding style) also making the right turn anyway, an accident was averted. I'm not sure the cyclist even noticed.
Sadly, a few minutes later I not-witnessed a real accident. As far as I can put it together, an elderly pedestrian wanted to cross the road two or three cars in front of me, traffic was at a standstill in my direction. He started crossing and vanished (from my point of view) behind the cars in front of me. Seconds later, I just heard a dull noise that I couldn't place. The car in front of me didn't move, but was right at the beginning of a left-turning lane, so I moved passed it, for turning right at the next intersection. As I had arrived at my destination at that point anyway, I searched for a parking space and walked back to my destination. Just then, when I saw police and an ambulance arriving a few minutes later, it dawned on me that the pedestrian must have been hit by a car going in the other direction. :( The victim was transported to hospital with lights and horn, so at least there's that...

And the whole time while driving I thought "damn, I can't see shit". Yeah... I wasn't the only one.

* If weather allows, I take the bike for that...
** Technically, going straight on and thus leaving the priority road that makes a left turn

didn’t it use to be that high ozone would bring out the idiot drivers/riders?
I was early enough on my commute home today, and that’s 90% Autobahn anyway, but still I had a bunch of dangerous idiots - 3 (!) overtaking on the right then pulling out mere cm in front of me (no there was not enough space in front of me, bloody morons)… 3 in a half hour wtf?

With darkness and unlit idiots on bikes I am actually doubly happy for the blinker cam of the car and the way that delivers a much lighter picture so stuff shows up better. Doesn’t help if the bike lane is hidden behind a row of parked cars ofc - stupid clueless planners 🤦‍♂️

Ugh bikers without lights they enrage me so. I often want to make them stop to have them sit in my car to see just how invisibme they are, but I think they just don’t care.

Also pretty much all of them have working lights but refuse to turn them on because… reasons.

Only thing worse is speed pedelecs which have lights with the fury of a thousand suns thay blind anyone and everyone in their path, being just as ineffective as having no lights at all…

On the route I take on my way home every day there‘s a spot where the 1+1 street turns into a 2+2 and just after that, there’s an intersection with a traffic light. Nobody else ever takes the left lane, there’s always a line of cars waiting for the green and a completely empty lane next to them. What I usually do is I switch lanes and try to time the light so I casually roll past the queue of stationary lemmings that just put down their phones and are trying to find first gear. This shaves several seconds off my commute.

Last Thursday, at the head of the queue was this middle aged guy in a white mk2 4x4 Insigina. He saw me coming, decided he wasn’t going to lose to a competing middle aged guy in a a competing white family car, so he gunned it… and spun his front wheels, because it’s winter and I know these cars need to have the AWD engaged manually on every startup. Opel saved a couple of carbon dioxides in the test cycle that way. I even saw him go “ffs”, look down and hit the AWD button. He lost the battle and expressed his annoyance by flashing his lights at me.

The end.

What I usually do is I switch lanes and try to time the light so I casually roll past the queue of stationary lemmings
See, what usually happens over here in situations like this, is that the guy in front of me seems to have the same general idea, but keeps going 70 right up until they have to brake super hard, only to become stationary the second the lights turn green. Cue frantic shuffling of gears and then setting off way too slowly… 🤦‍♂️

See, what usually happens over here in situations like this, is that the guy in front of me seems to have the same general idea, but keeps going 70 right up until they have to brake super hard, only to become stationary the second the lights turn green. Cue frantic shuffling of gears and then setting off way too slowly… 🤦‍♂️

The trick is to pick the lane behind the rusty Sprinter, if available. They’re always the fastest.

This is an argument I keep hearing. This time it was about Tesla camera systems and sensors not working in the snow.

Skärmavbild 2023-11-05 kl. 10.16.38.png

I would argue that things like radial tyres, shock absorbers and four wheel hydraulic disc brakes are safety systems as well. If you go out in a Patent-Motorwagen or Model T and drive it like you would any shitbox made within the last 50 years or so, you'll probably die. Like taking a normal bend on a back road at the posted speed limit, and hitting a pothole in the middle.

Right now the cut-off for "modern systems you shouldn't rely on" seems to be stability control. This guy is slightly more oldskool and draws the line at ABS.

The trick is to pick the lane behind the rusty Sprinter, if available. They’re always the fastest.

@kalf and @93Flareside are laughing but it's the truth. The Sprinter driver will sit there with first gear engaged, hand on the shifter and the revs slightly raised waiting for the light to turn green, because he/she has somewhere to be, ideally five minutes ago.

The Qashqai driver in the other lane is busy scrolling their phone or generally wondering where they are and what day it is.

@kalf and @93Flareside are laughing but it's the truth. The Sprinter driver will sit there with first gear engaged, hand on the shifter and the revs slightly raised waiting for the light to turn green, because he/she has somewhere to be, ideally five minutes ago.
It's funny, but that doesn't mean it isn't true ;). They do tend to drive those things like they stole it. Usually also the ones who seem to appear out of nowhere from behind while you're on the left lane overtaking someone and are already way over the speed limit yourself. Especially in bad conditions like poring rain, snow, fog, ...

I understand why because the engine is better fit in a fiesta or focus, but no, it’s in the large boi transit.

So I’m laughing because you’re right. :)

I understand why because the engine is better fit in a fiesta or focus, but no, it’s in the large boi transit.

So I’m laughing because you’re right. :)

It doesn't matter, you're still faster than most things on the road.

Found this on Reddit, and it happens to be a local-to-me gas station. It has been a Shell station as long as I've lived here (12 years).

1699238289436.png

The parking lot has a 10ft tall T-Rex that currently has Putin in his mouth (it used to be Trump). They've since added a Ukraine flag.

1699238594688.png
1699238831314.png

1699238758207.png

In this country the terrible Rover/Micra/Qashqai drivers seem to be moving to MGs.

I followed what I think was an MG5 yesterday and the first clue was the fog light being on in very light mist. Terrible lane discipline on roundabouts, got in the wrong lane and tried to cut across in front of me.

They also kept slowing down for no reason, presumably with strong regen, but the brake lights didn’t come on and it caught me by surprise the first time. Not their fault the software controlling the lights is shit but they didn’t need to randomly slow down.

If the rear wiper was constantly on as well, i think we have a full house.