Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

yes, yes it does.

Does it spewing grease all over my pants count as passion?

No, it has to break down and go on fire, that's when you'll see the real passion. :p

I'm a former Alfa owner who just plain doesn't get it. If someone else shipped a car as bad as my former Spyder, they would be laughed out of business but because it's got an Alfa badge, it's somehow all right? Heck with that....

Just had my first Alfa driving experience.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/15/photo.jpg

Apart from the exhaust that was massaging my foot rather than going out the tailpipe, it was rather uneventful.

How far did you tach it out? It doesn't really come alive until you get past 4500. Remember the Spider much like other small roadsters (MX5, MGB etc) is infact a slow car that is amazingly fun to drive fast but not actually fast. Provided i figure out the fucking electrics (column mounted stalk switchs) before the end of summer i will be more than willing to let you have another go in a nicely maintained 86 Spider.

I'm a former Alfa owner who just plain doesn't get it. If someone else shipped a car as bad as my former Spyder, they would be laughed out of business but because it's got an Alfa badge, it's somehow all right? Heck with that....

As my father explained it to me when we first got our spider. Yes it won't be running right 80% of the time but that 20% when she is purring like a kitten more than makes up for it. Plus even sitting in my garage she looks dead sexy.

Last edited:
No, it has to break down and go on fire, that's when you'll see the real passion. :p

You had a Spyder? When did you get rid of it?

Best description of a Prius yet: "It looked like an opossum fucked a dust-buster"

I wouldn?t say it?s alright because of that ... but from what I?ve heard about the Alfas of old ... people loved them so much and so much fun with them ... the bad sides didn?t weigh that up.
It?s a bit like having the most wonderful wife ... pretty, witty, nice charakter, great mom, can cook - the lot ... but she has tourette. You still love her, even if you get more dirty talk than you wished for ...

Last edited:
I wouldn?t say it?s alright because of that ... but from what I?ve heard about the Alfas of old ... people loved them so much and so much fun with them ... the bad sides didn?t weigh that up.
It?s a bit like having the most wonderful wife ... pretty, witty, nice charakter, great mom, can cook - the lot ... but she has tourette. You still love her, even if you get more dirty talk than you wished for ...

You hit the nail right on the head

My former boss told me she had a Spyder back in the 80's. She had it for three years and then sold it...because the floor was rusting.

I never would have guessed you had owned a Spyder. :lol: I myself am always on the lookout for a 1750GTV.

The only car I've had that was demonstrably worse was an old Peugeot 504 I made the mistake of picking up cheap.

I saw a Jaaaaaag XJS today.
It was in a rather nasty brown but it was still far prettier than that awful Yellow Gallardo I usually see on the way home.

In other news, there's a GTR often parked in the ASDA carpark, but I saw one running today for the first time. It was moving off from a stop (presumably in first) but I have to say it did not make a nice noise.

Last edited: