Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

^The conditioner or dyes did nothing. I thought a gentleman like Spectre would know how to properly use shoe (leather) polish. If it rubs off you're doing it wrong. The idea is to rub the excess off with a clean brush or rag.

FYI I wore a white shirt to work today and had nothing on it. I also did my steering wheel and my hands are clean.

I have never felt so stupid in my entire life, I probably understood about 10 words in that video.

Thank God my car is powered by inverse reactive current.

^The conditioner or dyes did nothing. I thought a gentleman like Spectre would know how to properly use shoe (leather) polish. If it rubs off you're doing it wrong. The idea is to rub the excess off with a clean brush or rag.

FYI I wore a white shirt to work today and had nothing on it. I also did my steering wheel and my hands are clean.

Just wait a few months. It'll come off. Remember, shoe polish isn't the most permanent thing in the world.

There are a number of permanent dyes that do the job far better and more permanently. I favor Leatherique or Color Plus.

It's annoying, but with a leather interior you really need to keep up a constant regimen of conditioner/preservative from the beginning, I'd say every six months or so depending on climate. Otherwise you get that cracky looking leather. The trouble with shoe polish, is that it doesn't repair- it covers up, and it's not permanent, it's an ongoing process. At that point I'd probably be breaking out the saddle soap for a good cleaning and follow it up with mink oil or similar if needed. If your color has really worn off you'd be better off going with an actual leather dye or stain.

Rejoice, Multipla fans, as I followed a grey turbodiesel one on a highway on Sunday night for an hour or so. Couldn't get a pic, but it was just as... ugly as they always are. And it had a rainbow-coloured Apple sticker on the back, which was kind of lol-worthy, as I have a white one on my car.

Rejoice, Multipla fans, as I followed a grey turbodiesel one on a highway on Sunday night for an hour or so. Couldn't get a pic, but it was just as... ugly as they always are. And it had a rainbow-coloured Apple sticker on the back, which was kind of lol-worthy, as I have a white one on my car.

Was it pre or post facelift? :D

Now to the bad, I'm still suffering from transmission issues that happened ever since the car lost power. The car won't shift past 2nd or 3rd gear sometimes. Turning the car off, waiting, and then turning it on again fixes the issue. This has happened since I bought the car about 3 years ago IIRC (could have been a bit after that) but it hasn't done it with this much frequency and other new "since the tensioner loosened" behaviors like surging around 30 mph, and a "dragging" sensation when i let off the gas. I plan to check the transmission fluid level tomorrow, and possibly schedule an appointment to get it changed, esp. if this doesn't lessen in a day or so (perhaps it's the adaptive transmission "learning" my driving style again due to the nearly dead battery...i might pull a battery cable to fully reset the system to be sure though) Whatever it is, it just doesn't feel normal. In any case, no "Shift to D3" MIL appeared during this at all, unlike when I drove and described earlier with the loose serpentine belt.

It probably is the computer re-adapting to some degree and the rest is possibly just the transmission getting old or starting to go. I would disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected overnight, then see what it does the next morning.

In any case, I'm pretty proud of myself at the moment. :D

The good news - you fixed your car and saved money!
The bad news - you still have a first-gen Saturn SL1. :p :D :mrgreen:

Isn't this ad pretty much Dodge saying: yup, we know the new Challenger sucks, but buy one anyway! because its a CHALLENGER!!!

It probably is the computer re-adapting to some degree and the rest is possibly just the transmission getting old or starting to go. I would disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected overnight, then see what it does the next morning.

The good news - you fixed your car and saved money!
The bad news - you still have a first-gen Saturn SL1. :p :D :mrgreen:

Haha, yeah. It's not the best car in the world, but it'll do. I've been looking for cars (5-6k) in my area on craigslist and ebay just casually to kinda get a feel of what's out there in case the car does meet an untimely end and there's nothing that I really like/catches my eye atm. In fact, I've seen several second-gen SL's I've liked, except they are manual. (I could learn though) I must be a Masochist. :p

Isn't this ad pretty much Dodge saying: yup, we know the new Challenger sucks, but buy one anyway! because its a CHALLENGER!!!

Well yeah, but it's also saying that you don't always have to be sensible, sometimes it's nice to buy something you like in spite of what critics say.

I know I would! :D

Last edited:

avis1.gif

One of the most successful ad campaigns in history. The consumer already knows build quality = Toyota, Honda, just like they know Hertz is, "Number one," why try to change their mind, you'll never win. Honda and Toyota could never pull a commercial like this off for the same reason, Hondas and Toyotas are not exciting cars and consumers know this.

The figuring within the lens of the taillights of the updated Q7 is actually quite beautifully done.

avis1.gif

One of the most successful ad campaigns in history.

*checks out current standings*

Hertz
Enterprize
Avis

So...one of the most successful ad campaigns in history made them drop a spot? :p

Saw a car in a garage in the city the other day, white with some rust spots. Couldn't take a picture but I'm thinking of going back and do that. This looked like some seventies Italian sports car but considering the location and the state it was in, that's probably not the case. Anyway, it had a Miura like side profile, and was a relatively small coupe. I've looked at some Lotus models but I haven't found it yet. Anything else Italian/Brittish/Japanese?

that ad is from the 60's

Saw a car in a garage in the city the other day, white with some rust spots. Couldn't take a picture but I'm thinking of going back and do that. This looked like some seventies Italian sports car but considering the location and the state it was in, that's probably not the case. Anyway, it had a Miura like side profile, and was a relatively small coupe. I've looked at some Lotus models but I haven't found it yet. Anything else Italian/Brittish/Japanese?

Lotus Europa?
Lotus_Europa.jpg

Last edited: