Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Congrats! What color is it?
I'm guessing white. :p

Oh yeah, it's another white car for me. Good call Tomcat. ;)

Pink. Shawn is a true man.

:lol:

Well according to the site they only come in 2 actual colors, red and blue then various hues of black, white and 2 greys. So the ugly in the range would imo be the greys since GTIs are one of the few cars that can look nice in boring black and white. They should come in mellow yellow. :D

That's in the US; in Canada you can have black, white, red or a very dark grey (with greenish specks in it). I was going to go with the grey but that's the type of colour that only looks good when your car is totally clean.

Drove it around a bunch and I'm really happy with white, the GTI has a lot of black trim bits that contrast very nicely with the white IMO.

I took a few crap pictures for now, will post those up soon until I can have a proper shoot of sorts. Weather is turning crap tomorrow so it might be a while until I get to do that.

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/-/1135260290871

As the months have passed since April, the vanishing pile has revealed from its bowels a whole host of interesting and strange artefacts: at least some jeans, a concrete "pig" as used to deter drivers from using a street, flower boxes, and plastic spades and shovels.
Almost at the death, just recently, a digger driver working on the pile unearthed two motorbikes.

Finns, you need to take better care of your motorbikes.

Finns, you need to take better care of your motorbikes.

Probably stolen and abandoned, then just swept up by the plows.

You'd be surprised at what they dredged up out of MacArthur Park Lake in Los Angeles (and it's tiny, plus it's only 12' deep) back during the 90s rebuild. There were at least thirty motorcycles or motorscooters of every description (all stolen), plus a number of cars (stolen) and several sets of human remains (mostly murdered). Some of which had been MIA for more than a decade despite regular police sweeps.

All sorts of weird stuff turns up with things like this.

Last edited:
I read the Mr. Plows had managed to snatch "a small car" (according to a paper) and deliver it to a snow heap among waste snow last winter.

Okay, so this has happened to me a couple times now. Why is it that I'll be following a cop, doing nothing wrong, going the speed limit, following at the right distance, etc., etc., but then the cop will slow waaaaaayyyyy down? I don't want to pass the guy because he's a cop, and I'm wondering if there's trouble somewhere that I don't know about if he's slowing down. No lights are on. No sirens. The guy just gets down to about 40, which seems quite dangerous I'd a car were to say, shoot up over the hill behind us and not see that we're going slow.

So, I'm forced to pass him, even though I've got a slow broken heap that the right lane of the freeway is made for. And then it turns out that I'm not in trouble, even though I've crapped bricks at having to pull in front of a cop.

One of the cops who did this lurked on my back bumper for a while (eek!), but the one last night just turned off at the next exit.

I don't get it.

Last edited:
Well I am not going to be able to start the resto work on the Roadmaster this year. Sucks, but that is the way it is. So I opened the hood to do some checking and planned on getting some peices and parts to fix it a bit for the upcomming winter. Closed the hood and barely touched the damn hood ornament and it broke. Son of a clown hugging mother hating fatherless horses ass.

:blowup:

Well I am not going to be able to start the resto work on the Roadmaster this year. Sucks, but that is the way it is. So I opened the hood to do some checking and planned on getting some peices and parts to fix it a bit for the upcomming winter. Closed the hood and barely touched the damn hood ornament and it broke. Son of a clown hugging mother hating fatherless horses ass.

:blowup:

From my experience those things are indestructible. Though I've only played with an LT1 car.

Okay, so this has happened to me a couple times now. Why is it that I'll be following a cop, doing nothing wrong, going the speed limit, following at the right distance, etc., etc., but then the cop will slow waaaaaayyyyy down. I don't want to pass the guy because he's a cop, and I'm wondering if there's trouble somewhere that I don't know about if he's slowing down. No lights are on. No sirens. The guy just gets down to about 40, which seems quite dangerous I'd a car were to say, shoot up over the hill behind us and not see that we're going slow.

So, I'm forced to pass him, even though I've got a slow broken heal that the right lane of the freeway is made for. And then it turns out that I'm not in trouble, even though I've crapped bricks at having to pull in front of a cop.

One of the cops who did this lurked on my back bumper for a while (eek!), but the one last night just turned of f at the next exit.

I don't get it.

There's technically no reason not to pass a cop if he's under the speed limit and doesn't have lights/sirens on.... but I can see how that would be annoying. Maybe they slow way down because no one would ever pass them otherwise?

Around here, they just do 80+ on 65 mph roads so you don't have to worry about it :lol:

I had a 'fun' experience whilst on the M1 the other day. I was in the outside lane, sitting there happily along with everyone else. Traffic slowed to 70 - reason revealed to be a traffic cop slowly joining the motorway from a junction with lights on (to warn those behind him). At the moment I passed him (there was plenty of other traffic, hence I couldn't pay full attention to the police Lolvo) the lights went off and he sped up to join at normal speeds.
I ignored this once he'd reached my blind spot, but all of 5 seconds later he genuinely appeared (swerved into the outside lane from blind rear 3/4s) in my rearview all lights blaring, chasing something down. In that split second my heart missed a beat, I was thinking that I'd been singled out for cruising at 85ish in the outside lane etc etc etc. Fortunately when I quickly moved over he sped past. But that was a massive surprise and I thank Mr Bobby for making me jump.

He went on to stop a single car transporter (a bit old, not exactly luxurious) with a brand new 60 plate Merc E Class Coupe on the back that had been in the general area as me for a while. I'd guess the officer suspected it to be stolen (remember in the UK a traffic officer can stop you if something looks suspicious to them), but who knows.

Which is harder to do with a classic Jaguar? Replacing gaskets and electrical components with modern long lasting parts or swapping in a big block V8 with a new transmission to go with it requiring a large amount of body work and electrical rewiring?

The latter, though it usually doesn't need much bodywork to do that. On the other hand, getting such a beast smogged can be... interesting. And what nobody pushing these conversions mentions is the fact that such conversions are more prone to fire than the parent car.

And, of course, it's usually not a big block they're sticking in but the cheapest Goodwrench crate smogger 305 or 350 making less horsepower than the Jaguar engine it displaced.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you stay away from the "other" car section of BritishV8. You might get an aneurysm.

Why? I've toyed with the idea of a Cadillac big block or as one guy built, a Cobra blower motor.

However, fact remains that most of those conversions suck. Usually its a smogger small block and a three speed auto. Which then makes you wonder why they bothered.

I was thinking that I'd been singled out for cruising at 85ish in the outside lane etc etc etc.

Why the Hell does everybody drive like their house is on fire or a passanger is giving birth?

And come to think of it, how can people even afford cars that will "cruise" at 85mph? I dread to think of the fuel economy... :lol:

Why the Hell does everybody drive like their house is on fire or a passanger is giving birth?

And come to think of it, how can people even afford cars that will "cruise" at 85mph? I dread to think of the fuel economy... :lol:

Well, in certain parts of the world that's pretty much normal traffic flow. And a 4-cylinder car with appropriate gearing will easily cruise at that speed and return ~30MPG US, so a bit more at your scale. Those of us blessed with fuel injection and computerized engines can do that, y'know.

I could not sleep so i went out and took a walk. A few guys in a horribly riced Volvo 850 ( neon lights, wing big enough for a Airbus 380 etc. ) tried to do burnouts on a parking lot. They revved the engine to the redline, dumped the clutch... and grenaded the gearbox. The evil side in me is still grinning wide.

Because my gas gauge is currently broken I have to keep a good eye on it lately. My commute is mostly 80+ speeds and bumper to bumper traffic and despite the fact I have to floor it once a day last week (more like once a day) I did 27 MPG.

IIRC, Speedtouch has a Kangoo with something along the lines of 70 HP. It's not that hard :p

The Failtima actually LOVES going along at about 80-85 mph.

Unfortunately, the authorities don't like that so much, which is a shame, because my car growls at me a lot louder at 65 mph. It just seems to be a bit more work to keep it going at that speed. Boo.

"Officer, I had to speed. The slushbox doesn't work right and hates sticking to 65. Shirley, you understand..."
"Stop calling ms Shirley!"

Last edited: