Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Really? Well it depends on the seats too and how close they let you get. (Some are really close, others not so much. I had an issue driving my Grandma's old old Auto Camry [was quite zippy though] my dad just bought from her because I used to be kinda shorter when I was 16 and I couldn't comfortably reach the pedals. Probably didn't help that it had two people who were 170+ sitting in it and squishing down the driver seat for years before that.)

Yes, having long legs definitely helps. @_@ Unfortunately I'm a weird proportion where my legs are slightly longer than my Torso. So it makes it hard to fit in cars without power seats sometimes. I don't even fit in my car well, I have to sit up close like my Dad used to in his Failclipse.

Last edited:
Really? Well it depends on the seats too and how close they let you get. (Some are really close, others not so much. I had an issue driving my Grandma's old old Auto Camry [was quite zippy though] my dad just bought from her because I used to be kinda shorter when I was 16 and I couldn't comfortably reach the pedals. Probably didn't help that it had two people who were 170+ sitting in it and squishing down the driver seat for years before that.)

Yes, having long legs definitely helps. @_@ Unfortunately I'm a weird proportion where my legs are slightly longer than my Torso. So it makes it hard to fit in cars without power seats sometimes. I don't even fit in my car well, I have to sit up close like my Dad used to in his Failclipse.

I find that I sit close to the steering wheel as well, not sure why exactly. But if I sit so my legs are stretched out to reach the pedals, I can't reach the wheel with my arms. I've recently moved back from where I used to sit though because I realized how absurdly close it was.

Well I can't really sit too far back in my car. I mean the way how I have the steering wheel set up (as high as I can and it's still not very high) it makes it awkward to get in and out of the car.

I still have a good 10" of arm length between my chest and the steering wheel though oddly enough. So I'm not sitting up close to the wheel but I sit kind of close to the pedals. It's hard to explain because it is kind of a weird proportion of pedal to wheel in older Mitsubishis.

I was really short at 12, to be honest. Something under 5" or so. Now I'm 6' and my height is primarily in my legs. Seats in the current car are at the very end of their travel.

Ahh well that explains it Wow under 5' you mean? I was about 5' 3" when I was 12 I think (I was always kinda tall in middle school).

I don't know how to explain it, but seats that are contoured to be higher where your knees are supposed to sit doesn't work for me. I have to angle my knees differently or else they hit the steering column on a variety of vehicles (which is really weird). When I get to drive a power seated car I usually push the seat upward, but I push the front part downward so it doesn't hit my hamstrings while I drive (otherwise it pushes my legs up).

I always have been more of an F40 man.
same here

It was out of production by the time I had turned ten, but no matter - just that spoiler made it the coolest car ever in the whole world.

Ahh well that explains it Wow under 5' you mean? I was about 5' 3" when I was 12 I think (I was always kinda tall in middle school).

I don't know how to explain it, but seats that are contoured to be higher where your knees are supposed to sit doesn't work for me. I have to angle my knees differently or else they hit the steering column on a variety of vehicles (which is really weird). When I get to drive a power seated car I usually push the seat upward, but I push the front part downward so it doesn't hit my hamstrings while I drive (otherwise it pushes my legs up).

Yeah, but you're a girl. Girls get tall sooner. There were a couple in my class who towered over me, and now I'm taller than all of them!

Yeah, but unfortunately at my middle school most of the people were REALLY short. Like 4'-4' 5" short. I towered over a majority of the students. I am about average height now, well taller than an average lady but average amongst men. I'm taller than my boyfriend. =o

(I couldn't drive a car properly still though even when I was little because my legs were too short and my torso was too tall.)

My sister took her Big Punto to the dealer for a service, they forgot to book her in.
They said they'll do it, it was 2:30 "It'll take 1h to 1h 30m... come back at 4:30." :lol:

She got there at 4:30 it wasn't ready. She drove it to the supermarket and couldn't open the door from the inside, and had to lower the window and use the exterior handle... sadly she didn't Dukes of Hazzard it.

She rang them up to explain... "Can you climb out the window?"
"I'm in my house now."
"Erm, ok i'm the late shift, bring it in tomorrow at 3."

Why in gods name did my uni fill the overflow lot with extra pointy gravel the size of my cell phone. I think glass would be less damaging to my tires.

Why in gods name did my uni fill the overflow lot with extra pointy gravel the size of my cell phone. I think glass would be less damaging to my tires.

Punishing you for not using question marks, perhaps?

That's the problem with university parking, too little and often times filled up before 9 or 10 am. (Except Fridays, since everyone parties on Thursday night.)

I usually get to school from 8-8:30 so I can get parking in a decent spot.

Motorcycles usually get to park right up front or even next to buildings, and their areas are rarely full. Just sayin'. :p

Oh my school makes you buy parking spots for the motorcycles. They have special areas all around campus. Some spots only accommodate 4, some like 20. Usually they are pretty full too. (The parking garage can accommodate about 20-24 motocycles.)

But the massive amount of bike racks are always free (and full.)

Speaking of motorcycles, one of my older neighbors has a relatively new Ducati. I saw it in his garage a couple of weeks ago, and one time he parked where my boyfriend and I ended up parking (next to him) to look for food. It was reaaaally really nice looking.

Last edited:
Motorcycles usually get to park right up front or even next to buildings, and their areas are rarely full. Just sayin'. :p

Ha. At my school, our motorcycle spot was one of the closest ones... Once. Before they converted a faculty lot to student use (with only one row for faculty). Some prickstain harleyfags noticed that they weren't disallowed from using up regular parking spaces - one PER BIKE. Unfortunately, there's a Harley plant in town and therefore they are massively popular, even among poor college students (HOW!?)

Bottom line, during the (thankfully brief) riding season I had to restrain myself from parking on top of motorcycles most days.

Yeah, tried that (go to the same uni as Kat) got hassled by the campus PD. Been nagging the parking services people to make designated spots ever since then.

EDIT: Oh and I pay $73 for the parking permit on just my motorcycle.

Last edited:
We've got several designated motorcycle areas on campus. They are all closer than any of the car parking and are never full. They also do not require a permit. Soon I will be riding again, soon...

Yeah, tried that (go to the same uni as Kat) got hassled by the campus PD. Been nagging the parking services people to make designated spots ever since then.

EDIT: Oh and I pay $73 for the parking permit on just my motorcycle.

That's because you live in a state that's run by people who are the definition of fail, as CrazyJeeper points out the proper alternative. :D If your university administration were smart and really concerned for the environment, they would encourage people to use motorcycles instead of those "evil polluting cars". Let me guess, hybrids get special privs too, right?

Speaking of motorcycles, to paraphrase Pierce Brosnan as 007, "I've always been a fan of demonic technology."

IMG_7421.jpg

IMG_7423.JPG

The very first ones ever made (they retain the stock brake distribution block and include three hoses in the kit, as opposed to all the other aftermarket ones that use two hoses and bypass it), developed with input and exemplars from yours truly. :D

Last edited: