Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A real Volvo is on my to-do list. Even if I could afford one right this moment, the one I want isn't for sale. I'm willing to live without a car until I find a yellow T5-R wagon.

Good luck with that, they are becoming collectibles these days. I don't understand your determination to get a T5-R specifically. You can get a nice Turbo wagon, and make into an R within months. All you need is a ECU reflash, rims, springs, and a front bumper.

With that said, I believe that the Volvo 850 T5-R is a car that a person can happily keep forever. Yes, you have to keep up with maintenance, but even then it's going to be cheaper than a brand new car. And what feature does the 850 not have? ABS, Traction Control, 4 Airbags, heated leather seats, AC...You can keep the car as a daily driver forever. It's not like it's an old muscle car that you can only use at car shows, or on weekends.

Good luck with that, they are becoming collectibles these days. I don't understand your determination to get a T5-R specifically. You can get a nice Turbo wagon, and make into an R within months. All you need is a ECU reflash, rims, springs, and a front bumper.

With that said, I believe that the Volvo 850 T5-R is a car that a person can happily keep forever. Yes, you have to keep up with maintenance, but even then it's going to be cheaper than a brand new car. And what feature does the 850 not have? ABS, Traction Control, 4 Airbags, heated leather seats, AC...You can keep the car as a daily driver forever. It's not like it's an old muscle car that you can only use at car shows, or on weekends.

Not all the Turbos have TC. Mine didn't :p. Though it only worked up to 25mph, though I guess it is good for snow at least.

Well, when I say traction control...I actually mean launch control. That's how the Volvo system worked, it didn't do anything about 25mph.

Fucking god bless this state's lack of caring about speeding. A THIRD lorry flipped over at rush hour today and I was stuck at 3 mph* for a while and needed to go 95 to make up for it. For all the dumb shit this state does the fact that I can jump behind a cock in an audi and have them push everyone out of the left lane for me like that almost makes up for it.

*not an exageration. I had plenty of time to calculate this while waiting in traffic, the speed was approx 3.3 mph

Fucking god bless this state's lack of caring about speeding. A THIRD lorry flipped over at rush hour today and I was stuck at 3 mph* for a while and needed to go 95 to make up for it. For all the dumb shit this state does the fact that I can jump behind a cock in an audi and have them push everyone out of the left lane for me like that almost makes up for it.

*not an exageration. I had plenty of time to calculate this while waiting in traffic, the speed was approx 3.3 mph

Holy crap! I wonder why trucks keep flipping over....isn't this like the third you've mentioned within a week or two? Strange. :S

2 last week one this week. The first was also on fire.
No wait the second was too I think.... I think the trucks are conspiring to make me fail my classes.

2 last week one this week. The first was also on fire.
No wait the second was too I think.... I think the trucks are conspiring to make me fail my classes.

Must be a Top Gear shoot.

You do know what I'm going to say, don't you..?

1991_volvo_740_4_dr_turbo_wagon-pic-8019171364030770336.jpeg

True. But what new family car is RWD? Most are at best AWD.

True. But what new family car is RWD? Most are at best AWD.

2008_Ford_FG_Falcon_XR8.jpg

I agree with you though. Outside of BMW and Mercedes there isn't really anything.

A decent drivetrain, good looks, driveability, sex appeal.. want me to go on? :p

Except the drivetrain, all of the above mentioned are highly subjective, and depend on a person's taste. I was talking about actual features.

And what is wrong with the drivetrain - 2.3 litre 220hp is a respectable number even by today's standards.

Except the drivetrain, all of the above mentioned are highly subjective, and depend on a person's taste. I was talking about actual features.

And what is wrong with the drivetrain - 2.3 litre 220hp is a respectable number even by today's standards.

Well, I guess the drivetrain's fine. And the engine's ok, if you like that sort of thing. Only problem is the part these things are connected to - the FRONT WHEELS. :p

Dodge Charger.

And by extension the Chrysler 300.

I was a bit surprised by two cops manning a speed trap on I-290 today. I'm not sure what they were looking for, though, as I blew through it at 80 along with most of the rest of traffic. (65 mph road).

Maybe they were looking for the obviously high or drunk on something people?

I took the bus to school today. It actually wasn't bad at all. They strive to maintain schedules (like Japan-style) and at most are 2 minutes late. AT most. The seats are cushy and the buses aren't all torn up and graffitied too. Best bus riding experience I have ever had.

I was a bit surprised by two cops manning a speed trap on I-290 today. I'm not sure what they were looking for, though, as I blew through it at 80 along with most of the rest of traffic. (65 mph road).

Or people driving like idiots even by our standards ex weaving in and out of lanes at high speed or other dangerous maneuvers

I took the bus to school today. It actually wasn't bad at all. They strive to maintain schedules (like Japan-style) and at most are 2 minutes late. AT most. The seats are cushy and the buses aren't all torn up and graffitied too. Best bus riding experience I have ever had.

Or people driving like idiots even by our standards ex weaving in and out of lanes at high speed or other dangerous maneuvers

I didn't think much of it at the time but one of them had binoculars :hmm: