Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

All you have to do is go look at the older Nissan forums (z31.com, for example) to find evidence and horror stories. Every Nissan enthusiast knows not to use GL5 in their manuals. I do not have time to go get you cites at the current time.

You can also check out oil analysis results on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums; while not all GL5s contain sulfur, many do and you do not want that in any manual box made by Nissan.

You should also note the backup given above by British Rover, someone who worked in the industry. This isn't something we're pulling out of our asses here.

Also, did you even bother reading the links I put in the prior post??? There's cites and info there.

By the way, the synchros are made of bronze. Bronze has different properties than brass, but it gets etched all the same: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t569657640710012/

Last edited:
Meh, the 460 was a bust. Faded paint, a lighter blue on the front left fender, peeling at some points and rust. Looked way more beat down than what I expected, but it was a work car after all. So, still looking.

All you have to do is go look at the older Nissan forums (z31.com, for example) to find evidence and horror stories. Every Nissan enthusiast knows not to use GL5 in their manuals. I do not have time to go get you cites at the current time.

You can also check out oil analysis results on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums; while not all GL5s contain sulfur, many do and you do not want that in any manual box made by Nissan.

You should also note the backup given above by British Rover, someone who worked in the industry. This isn't something we're pulling out of our asses here.

Also, did you even bother reading the links I put in the prior post??? There's cites and info there.

By the way, the synchros are made of bronze. Bronze has different properties than brass, but it gets etched all the same: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t569657640710012/

I'm passing all this on to my mechanic, Spectre. Right now I don't know what to believe, there is a mountain of anecdotal evidence on one hand, but there's also significant evidence to the contrary - at least with the current formulations of GL-5 oils.

I just called Nissan and asked what they use. The parts guy said it was a 75-85 synthetic "Manual Transmission Fluid." I asked specifically if it was GL-4 or GL-5 and he said that it was a "manual transmission fluid" and not a gear oil, so it wasn't either of those. The service guy sent my call to parts, so I'm not sure he really knew what was up.

EDIT:
I just talked to my mechanic's shop again. They have a call in to Nissan about what to put in the new transmission to keep the warranty valid. Even at that the guy they asked had to look into it since there was no documentation that came with the trans when it shipped. Right now I've got two forums going on this, at least two Nissan dealerships, one independent shop and now at least one person at Nissan North America.

I really poked the hornet's nest with this one.

Last edited:
I know that this isn't too relevent to your current situation, but back when I had my Lada Niva, GL5 was the reccomended gear oil for the tranny, but there was serious debate over whether it damaged the transmission or not also due to the bronze parts within the transmission.

Here's a couple links that I remembered from my research into it. I ultimatley went with GL4 just to be on the safe side.

http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/Oil.htm

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=190104#190104

Good luck with the tranny, I hope you get it sorted. :)

Hey, I'm this close from calling Mythbusters.

EDIT: Fuck it, I submitted it to them.

Last edited:
Bought me a new vehicle, V8 and 10 speed. I'll post more later.

You drank some vegetable juice and hopped on a bicycle?

I'm guessing a LR with Hi/Low transfercase.

Probably a Disco

Yeah, probably. Waiting for the other cylinder linershoe to drop... :D

Random winter entertainment in Sweden.

Well, if we are going by all possible forward gear combinations, then I've got 24 possible forward permutations and four reverse.

Six speed manual
2WD high
4WD high
4WD low
4WD low with locker engaged

:p

Actually, right now I've got no forward or reverse gears because I have no transmission. Dammit, now I made myself sad. :cry:

If we are going by that standard, my Jeep is a 12 speed. :p

and my dad his patrol a 16 speed!

5 2WD
5 4WD lo
5 4WD hi
1 idle (don't know what's the difference with neutral, but there is a gear which doesn't drive any of the wheels...)

EDIT: ah yes, and all diffs can be locked

god damn, i should take that thing off road sometime!

Last edited:
Well, if we are going by all possible forward gear combinations, then I've got 24 possible forward permutations and four reverse.

Six speed manual
2WD high
4WD high
4WD low
4WD low with locker engaged

:p

Actually, right now I've got no forward or reverse gears because I have no transmission. Dammit, now I made myself sad. :cry:

4wd doesn't make you go any slower or faster, and neither does a locker :p

and my dad his patrol a 16 speed!

5 2WD
5 4WD lo
5 4WD hi
1 idle (don't know what's the difference with neutral, but there is a gear which doesn't drive any of the wheels...)

That's called "Neutral" and it is, by definition, not a gear.

4wd doesn't make you go any slower or faster, and neither does a locker :p

Notice that I said "forward permutations" :p

Last edited: