Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

She likes Lexus and I recommended one based on great service I've gotten from them, but she doesn't really like any of their offerings. The new RX is ugly and the GX/LX are too utilitarian she says.

My first suggestion was the Q7, but she went and looked at it and she's convinced it's a lot bigger than her ML (even though I don't believe it is). So the salesperson pointed her towards the Q5, which is how we arrived at this whole soft roader debacle.

I guess being so new nobody knows of any issues with the Q5? I'd be happy if she got an A6, it's a nice and dignified saloon and I'm sure the quattro will be enough to handle the winters here. I just hope it's within her budget so she doesn't go for a Q5.

Spectre, I have told her about all the rebadging that goes on in the industry, but she doesn't care. I know it's hard to believe, but most people have pretty simplistic views of cars you know. :mrgreen:

Feed some anti-Q5 propaganda then. Hell, I got my mom to buy an 07 G35. :mrgreen:

I'm working on it man, I'm working on it.

I think I actually upset her, because she came all excited to tell me about having discovered this new model (Q5) I didn't tell her about, and my first reaction was basically 'eff nooo!'

Oh well, I think she'll be genuinely interested in the A6 if it's within her price range. Keep your fingers crossed guys. :D

The Q5 is definitely cheaper than the A6, at least in the US. The Q5 itself is basically a crossover version of the A4. Considering she seems to like crossovers and you can get a well specced Q5 for the price of the base A6, she's going to buy the Q5.

Last edited:
She knows the A6 is more expensive, she just has to figure out by how much and also how much they will give her for the ML.

Infiniti EX or FX?

Would you say an EX is better than a Q5?

She actually brought up Infiniti but I wasn't really too interested, I don't like the way they look. But she's the one buying a car, so if it's a good car I'll mention it to her, she might like the looks.

Would you say an EX is better than a Q5?

She actually brought up Infiniti but I wasn't really too interested, I don't like the way they look. But she's the one buying a car, so if it's a good car I'll mention it to her, she might like the looks.

Infiniti's are awesome. The EX is just a G with a lift kit, and so far, the G has been a fantastic car.

I've got to ride in a FX35. That thing is great, and doesn't actually sound that bad either. The FX45 is even better. Too bad the 2nd gen ones look nothing as good as the 1st gen ones.

Actually, the EX isn't the G with a lift kit - that's the FX. The EX is the G coupe with a taller roof and a wagon back on it.

Infiniti really only *has* one platform, but it's so awesome and their engineering is so good, you'd never know unless someone told you. The FM platform is truly outstanding and proves that if you have a good platform to start with, platform engineering does not have to suck. (Are you listening, GM and Ford?)

In any case, yes, I would get an EX over any similar VAG product in a heartbeat. The EX has a better engine and though I haven't driven a Q5, I have driven an A6 Allroad. The EX will stomp all over an A6 Allroad in terms of road manners, IMHO.

Edit: Here's what Car and Driver thinks about the EX: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/crossovers/2008_infiniti_ex35_car_news

Last edited:
please, make her get the A6. Force her or something.

The Q5 is just terrible...

^ I'm not going to force her to get something. Not only is that stupider than buying a soft roader, she's also a middle aged woman so she's likely going to get the thing that most tickles her fancy and not what makes the most sense.

Thanks for all the information guys. It's still down to some type of Audi, but I'll mention the EX to her. I'm sure a Japanese car will be less hassle in the long run.

If you get an Audi, get an extended warranty on it. Audis have spotty long term reliability on the North American continent.

^ I'm not going to force her to get something. Not only is that stupider than buying a soft roader, she's also a middle aged woman so she's likely going to get the thing that most tickles her fancy and not what makes the most sense.

Thanks for all the information guys. It's still down to some type of Audi, but I'll mention the EX to her. I'm sure a Japanese car will be less hassle in the long run.

I don't mean you really have to physically force her, just explain to her why you prefer what you do. If she still buys something else, too bad for her. I had a similar dilemma a couple of months ago when my mom wanted to trade in her old Zafira for something else/smaller. She was considering a Opel Meriva or a Ford CMax, while I was telling her she needed no more than a little Opel Agila.

She has decided not to switch cars at all in the end, meaning she has a lather large car that she hardly drives, yet has to pay much tax because it has a largeish petrol engine. Oh well...

Also, according to my research (I played GT4), a Mini Cooper S handles better and is quicker than a BMW 120i, despite it having FWD.
Is this also true in real life? Anyone try these cars?

{shrug} No clue, we don't have a 120i in the US.

That said, one might expect the Mini Cooper S to be faster because it has a supercharger sitting on top of the 1.6L engine running 11-17psi of boost (at 14.7psi at sea level, that effectively doubles the displacement of the engine to ~3.2L minus parasitic losses)... and the 120i doesn't have one on its 2L engine.

Last edited:
Wikipedia to the rescue!

BMW : 170 hp 0-100 kph : 7.7s 1320 kgs
Mini : 175 hp 0-100 kph : 7.1s 1210 kgs

it does seem a tad quicker, but the thing that interests me most is that BMW would make a non BMW brand name car perform better than their "ultimate driving machine"

Are there any comparable laptimes out there? because this could stop me wanting a 1 series, and that can only be a good thing :bmwpoo:

If heard correctly, a parked XJ40 which didn't have its engine running made a weird, constant clicking sound in a parking garage today. I wonder why? It wasn't cooling down because it hadn't been driven today, it would've been wet or snowy or dirtier.
It was a maroon Sovereign with tan leather interior, and it looked very nice.

Probably either the door locking system playing up (very common, especially if one or more of the door handles is broken) or the immobilizer is having problems.

Another common problem was the self-levelling suspension which can be powered when the car is off.

The XJ40 had *lots* of strange electrical problems; if the car had been sitting long enough for the battery to run down a fair bit, all *sorts* of weird stuff happens with those cars.

Or it could have been *all* of them.

XJ40s are not the happiest of cars. With the exception of the 93-94 cars, the XJ40s make my "old tech"/"old build" 87 Jaguar look as reliable as a Toyota Corolla.

Last edited:
I have no doubt a MINI Cooper S is faster then a 120i even if it is FWD. The second gen MINI Cooper S with the turbocharger over the Supercharger are even faster still. The mini madness sway bar I had on my Cooper S set to full race mode made that car handle more like a RWD car then FWD. You could actually provoke a little oversteer going into a corner the right way.