Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

magic, brahski

Pretty much this :p Does yours look anything like that one? And I'll keep the puffalump then :D

Hey, I had to live with a Lancer similar to that for a month. Believe me, "shitty" was the best word to describe that car. This was a tinny, poorly made, cheap, underpowered pile of misery and bares no resemblance to the current Lancer. At all.
Point noted...but they were also attached to this, right?

1993_Lancer_Evolution1.jpg

Any idea when the 2012 911 Carrera's (991) will be released for sale in the US? I'm considering a move to Porsche, was first interested in the Boxster Spyder, but think a base Carrera might be more appropriate (2010 or 2011), there are some good discounts available at the moment. I'm just a little hesitant because I know a redesign is in the works.

Don't want to possibly miss out on the slightly different shade of red on the taillights? :p

Any idea when the 2012 911 Carrera's (991) will be released for sale in the US? I'm considering a move to Porsche, was first interested in the Boxster Spyder, but think a base Carrera might be more appropriate (2010 or 2011), there are some good discounts available at the moment. I'm just a little hesitant because I know a redesign is in the works.

Spyder IMO is better. they'll nickel and dime you with options. also, they haven't even SHOWN the 991 yet. have they?

Last edited:
Not yet, but should be revealed at the Frankfurt show I think. I love the Spyder, just a little concerned about the roof....it doesn't exactly make a proper seal, which could screw me over in the heavy Florida rain showers. The options are killer, I don't want navigation or premium sound etc which total about 5k....I generally only keep cars for about 2 years anyway.

Don't want to possibly miss out on the slightly different shade of red on the taillights? :p

lol...I guess that's the good thing about 911's, the shape pretty much stays the same. I think the interior will probably have the most change with slight increase in HP. I read some stuff about how the front will change to accommodate some pedestrian law change in Europe (which i'm sure there is probably a thread on).

Last edited:
Basically, my car is getting the following panels stripped down, resprayed and baked:

1) Hood
2) Front bumper
3) Left + Right door
4) Left + right rear 3/4 panel
5) Rear bumper.

The whole lot amounts to about $1100. Yes, my car got really badly keyed, and I'm taking the opportunity to get stonechips on the front bumper fixed whilst I'm at it. Blowing a fair amount of my savings on this repair job, but I want to keep the car for a while and its been done by somebody I can actually trust to do the job properly. Their workshop is also brand new, so my car will be the first to go through lol.

Thats not bad at all. Be sure to tell us how it turns out. I'm going to look into getting my rear bumper, RHS rear 3/4 and front wing, and perhaps front bumper and bonnet done if I can afford it. Just have to find someone local who does a good job.

what about a TTS coupe?
Or even a TT-RS. It's more a Cayman competitor though.

I'm trying to expand my horizons, so to speak. Had a C230, M3, GTI, currently have a Cooper S and Q5. Porsche seems like the next logical step for me (trading in the Mini probably).

I think the 911 is one of those cars that every gearhead should own someday. I know I want one. Hell, even an old air-cooled model that will nickle and dime me to death. I still want one.

I'm kind of over BMW for the moment. When I had the M3, my brother had a 330i and my folks a 325xi (wagon). I think if I can hook the Carrera in the low 70s, it would be worth it. Far as colors are concerned, probably white or black. The biggest discounts are on 2010 models (10-13k), the discounts on the 2011 models are about half that.

Those tail lights were only on the coupe body shape. The sedans had different ones, and the Evo was only available as a sedan.
Ah, never mind then.

Crazy body kit is still crazy.

do my crappy GM sourced electronics for the engine computer mean my car is actually fine, and is giving me meaningless warning lights, or is it truly fucked and is not giving me consistant warnings because of that?

My ESP and ABS warning lights went on and stayed on, but both systems seem to still work fine (yay for snow & ice)
Now the lights went out by themselves...

so.... is my car Christine and self repairing (if so plz also take care of all the bumps & scrapes I have collected over 7 years) or is there something really wrong?

Lulz, I saw a Type 3 in a parking lot on "Diamonds Are Forever." They kinda stick out like sore thumbs.

It needed bunny ears, an epic chase scene, and some grenade launchers, IMHO.

Had a Genesis behind me on the interstate the other day, and for the life of me at the time I couldn't figure out who made the car until it passed me and I saw "Genesis" on the back. Then it made sense as to why I couldn't figure it out, it's so bland-looking.

do my crappy GM sourced electronics for the engine computer mean my car is actually fine, and is giving me meaningless warning lights, or is it truly fucked and is not giving me consistant warnings because of that?

My ESP and ABS warning lights went on and stayed on, but both systems seem to still work fine (yay for snow & ice)
Now the lights went out by themselves...

so.... is my car Christine and self repairing (if so plz also take care of all the bumps & scrapes I have collected over 7 years) or is there something really wrong?

It could be your ABS control module. On Volvos it controls the ABS, Traction Control etc...when it breaks all light come on the dash. Shouldn't be more than $80.